B_K827
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max blocking VPN connection

I have recently connected to NBN network with the Telstra Gateway Max. For a couple of weeks I had no issues logging into VPN but a week ago its coming up with an error message about the remote peer is no longer responding. My IT has looked into it and there seems to be no error on their end.  I have had no luck with Telstra Technical support with getting them to check if the outgoing port connections are open. They keep repeating to me my lines are all in working order which I know as I have no issue with accessing the internet. 

I have no issues accessing VPN via hotspot on mobile but keep getting blocked with my router for some reason. Has anyone had other issues with this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Deanski32
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra Gateway Max blocking VPN connection

Hi B_K827,

Your not alone I also lost VPN access to my business HFC cable from my home HFC cable. I'm not on NBN but rather HFC (Hybrid Fibre Cable) and since 9th dec when Telstra did some upgrades/servicing in the area I have lost the ability to VPN to my business, both Home and business address are on the same telstra HFC network. However I can VPN from my Iphone (Telstra 4G) and my Optus 4G modem so it seems to be related to being on the same network is blocking traffic. Also the router I use to VPN into has built-in management console that was accessible prior to Telstra's changes and this does not use VPN and you can configure the PORT no. so I can confirm that it's not a specific port being blocked or VPN related but rather some issue within the Telstra cable network as everything works fine from 4G or Optus.

See this post here sounds similar and was solved by Telstra tech's in Adelaide.

Telstra need to look into this' it's most likely very isolated issue that would only effect small number of specific people which is why I haven't bothered trying to contact them yet. I have tried resolving similar complex problem in the past and unless you talk to the right people you just get the run around. But my test definitely point to Telstra's network being at fault.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi B_K827 & Deanski32,

BigPond Tech Support do not provide assistance with advanced configurations which includes VPN. For this, you will need to contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587.

Are you able to communicate between the two sites at all? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Deanski32

Shelly, the issue is not just related to VPN but rather anything connected to the cable gateway is inaccessible from my home cable connection. So lets break this down:
My business setup = Gateway Max C6300BD (Bridged Mode) with Linksys LRT-214 Router
My home setup = CG3100D-2 (Bridged Mode) with Asus RT-AC68U Router

Bear in mind only moments before Telstra performed upgrades our local cable (9th Dec) my VPN connection was functioning normally. Telstra sent out this email....

""Just to let you know, were working on Telstra Cable Broadband network upgrades in your area on 9 December 2015. We’re doing our best to keep interruptions to a minimum, but it's possible that you won't be able to connect to the internet for up to 100 minutes between 10:00am and 3:00pm. If you need to use your fixed broadband at this time, we’re sorry for any inconvenience""

On completion of this work the VPN connection failed to connect (and yes I did update IP address changes). So I can confirm it's not my configuration because all was functioning for several years with the exception of an occasional ip address update. But since these upgrades on 9th Dec something between Cable-to-Cable connections is blocked.
Now the VPN is configured on the Business address Cable account and I cannot access from my home cable account using multiple computers and diff OS's but if I use a 3G optus modem on any of these devices I can VPN straight in. Can also VPN from my iphone using Telstra 3G/4G but when the Iphone or any other device is connected to my home cable account then none can VPN. So this points to the Cable being the issue.
I also tested the other direction setting up VPN on the Home cable and trying to connect from the business end with the same problem will not connect but once again can confirm the connection from 3G/4G modem works just not Cable to cable connections.
Now just to confirm its not some weird VPN thing the routers that are connected to these bridged Telstra cable modems have management interfaces that are accessible via the cable modems external public ip address using a specific port number and I can confirm this also was working prior to telstra's "upgrades 9th Dec" and once again Cable to cable will not connect but will work from 3G/4G modem or phone and also all are accessible from a family members ADSL connection.
What ever Telstra had upgraded on 9th Dec has broken my connection from one cable modem to another cable modem. I also tried reverting the modem back to factory settings (NAT mode) and although I couldn't test VPN in this configuration I was unable to access the Modems remote access on port 8080.

So as you can see I have run a number of tests and my conclusion is that the problem appears to be on Telstra's end. It's an unusual situation and difficult to explain to Telstra support staff as they will just say "its a VPN issue go buy premium support" but as you can see from my tests and situation it definitely is not just VPN as both cable modems just can't see one another on the same cable network and the modems in question are only 2km apart up the road.

So far the problem is more a nuisance as I use the VPN connection infrequently and can always access although more slowly via 4G I have left the problem alone hoping it may rectify itself but to no avail. Hope some telstra tech can recognise this issue and assist in fixing it.

Deanski32

Problem was fixed Smiley Happy

Was obviously a Telstra network glitch as it just mystriously started working again.

-_
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am still experiencing this same issue, and have not had a single logical helpful bit of assistance from Telstra since reporting this problem nearly four month ago, and many phone calls over many hours later.

The same issue is reported many times:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2475327

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/CCTV-stopped-working-after-Telstra-Cable-Broa...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Unable-to-connect-to-certain-people/m-p/541751...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Bigpond-to-Bigpond-Connections-Timeout/m-p/536...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/what-ports-are-blocked-inbound-on-Bigpond-Cabl...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Max-blocking-VPN-connection/t...

Yet no one at Telstra seems to know anything about it, and won't even call me back, despite promising to call me time and time again.

Here's a tracert to google.com

Tracing route to google.com [203.37.5.34]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    10 ms    11 ms    19 ms  CPE-58-160-251-1.wa.bigpond.net.au [58.160.251.1]
  4    25 ms    12 ms    12 ms  172.18.242.10
  5    11 ms     8 ms    12 ms  203.37.5.34

Trace complete.

Obviously there is something misconfigured there.

Is anyone even looking into this problem?  Does not seem like it.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have responded to two of your other posts about similar issues. - Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

NathanGoss

Hi Telstra,

This (unable to make IPSEC VPN connections) is still an issue with the Gateway Max that I received a few weeks ago.

Reading through this post, and many others, it was to be addressed with a firmware update last year.

Is this still going to happen? Seems a bit of a joke that it is perfectly fine on the modem in its factory form, but doesn't work with the Telstra firmware.

Equally silly is that to make my VPN connection work, I have to use the Personal Web Sharing on my Telstra mobile, which isn't blocked at all.

Please get this sorted Telstra - it is 2016 where it is VERY common for people to work from home, and when doing so, most people are connecting via a VPN.

The standard Telstra answer of "this is a non-standard feature and Telstra do not support it" is a cop out.

Nathan

Toswegian

I'm seeing this on my Telstra Cable too.

I'm an IT desktop guru with 30 years in the game and I just got off the phone to Telstra after an hour phone call with standard and platinum support. After being promised an SMS during the with a reference that never arrived. It was frustrating to say the least. If anyone from telstra is watching my account number is 2000007598467.

I have a Telstra supplied CG3100D-2 which has been working perfectly for 8 months.

On Wednesday 18th May I got an email saying they were doing upgrades in our area (Maroubra, 2035).

The updates were scheduled for Wed 25the of May.

"Just to let you know, we’re working on Telstra Cable Broadband network upgrades in your area on 25 May 2016. We’re doing our best to keep interruptions to a minimum, but it’s possible that you won’t be able to connect to the internet for up to 100 minutes between 10:00am and 3:00pm. If you need to use your fixed broadband at this time, we’re sorry for any inconvenience

Sure enough there was an outage which was fine as I had been warned.

However when the work was completed and the service was back to speed I found I could not use any high range tcp ports other than the standard ones such as port 80, 443, 25 etc. Speedtest and general web browsing and email is all OK but no joy connecting to anything else.

Outgoing VPN to any network I tested was blocked and remote desktop to all my virtual machines on Microsoft Azure and Amazon. For example I often remote desktop to myhost.cloudapp.net:53321. If I run the same test with my computer tethered off my Telstra 4g phone it works properly. On my cable it's blocked. 

Next test was to try and remote desktop to a clients machine on port 3389 - blocked.

If I reconfigure my remote Azure host to use tcp port 443(myhost.cloudapp.net:443) instead of tcp port 53321 I get in. So my deduction is that any non standard ports are now being blocked. The tech I spoke to couldn't follow what I was saying, and that they wouldn't help me. Finally I agreed to paid a fee to telstra to come out on Monday ($220) to see if he can fix it.

My fear is that they will send an endpoint technician who can just install a modem and run speed test.

I use standard Cisco business VPNs to connect to my client sites and remote desktop on high port numbers to connect to the major clouds such as Azure and AWS. This everywhere but on my cable!

This is an upstream routing issue there seems to be no way of escalating the ticket without the completed run around.

I took my laptop over to a friends house with optus cable and everything works. I would go back to them in a heartbeat except I had endless cable dropouts in my street that they couldn't seem to fix.

I realise cable is a residential service but there has to be a way of escalating a ticket!!

Toswegian

Well my system is now fixed with a modem swap from an onsite tech. I've got another Telstra Gateway Max DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Now VPN/RDP all working again. I had to pay for the $220 Telstra Platinum call out but for me it was worth it to get this sorted. So either it was a modem fault, or there was filtering on my IP. With a new modem I have a new IP address so that may have helped. Who knows?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that replacing the modem has resolved this issue for you. - Shelly

LadyMonkey

Hi Shelly,

Please help me. I amhaving exactly the same issues. I was comnnected to NBN FTTN on Monday and have been unable to VPN into work ever since. I am able to through hotspot from my phone but as soon as I go wireless, it doesn't let me connect. I on on the Central Coast of New South Wales and can't work without this. I have already lost 2 days of work and can't afford to lose anymore. PLease, please help.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LadyMonkey, 

You would have received a Gateway Max modem with your new NBN FTTN connection.  Did you set up this new modem with the required port forwarding in order for the VPN to work?

ImpactTubes

I have a similar issue but different with IPSec VPN

One site is Telstra Internet Direct Fibre 50/50 meg and the othe is NBN 25/5 meg

The IPsec VPN is created between 2 Cisco ISA500 series devices

The issue is the VPN keeps dropping and restarting but alwasy correct;y and sometimes needs to reboot of both Cisco devices to fix the issue.

This was no problem with the same devices when it was Telstra ADSL2+ to ADSL 2+ (Sydney to Melbourne) speed was the only concern.

The same equipment is no longer functioning correctly on TID fibre to NBN fibre.

Anyone having a similar experience.

Welma

How does one do this?
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Welma, 

You can find instructions on how to set up port forwarding on the portforward.com website. You''ll need to know what your modem make and model are to the the specifics. Alternatively you can discuss this with our Telstra Platinum team and for a fee they'll set it up for you. 

You contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587 or you can find out more about the services offered by Telstra Platinum here: https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/platinum

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more