Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max (C6300BD) missing Parental Controls for each device

Answered

I have just set up a new Telstra Gateway Max cable router, which I think is a C6300BD.

I specifically purchased this device because of the Youtube advertising here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u26zbD1Ng34

That says:

"AND THE PARENTAL CONTROLS ALLOW PERMISSIONS AND FILTERS TO BE SET FOR EACH OF YOUR DEVICES."

I cannot find where to do this per device in the Basic or Advanced views.

I need to block Youtube for my kids at certain times of the day/week, but allow it on known IP/MAC address(es).

It would appear that the Netgear genie application has been knobled by Telstra customisations too.

Can someone please help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max (C6300BD) missing Parental Controls for each device

SamP wrote:

It would appear that the Netgear genie application has been knobled by Telstra customisations too.

You're correct. On the "official" netgear C6300 device (not C6300BD), you're able to block via device as per the actual manual (page 29) located here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C6300/C6300_UM_15oct14.pdf

I am guessing that Telstra's firmware has removed this functionality. Although I have been told that there will be firmware updates for the modem, including more parental controls. I just haven't been given any timeframe at this stage.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Accepted Solution

SamP wrote:

You're correct. On the "official" netgear C6300 device (not C6300BD), you're able to block via device as per the actual manual (page 29) located here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C6300/C6300_UM_15oct14.pdf

I am guessing that Telstra's firmware has removed this functionality. Although I have been told that there will be firmware updates for the modem, including more parental controls. I just haven't been given any timeframe at this stage.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I had a similar question on the last telstra modem, CG3100D, we had. I've just upgraded our plan to the C6300BD in the hope that better control of connectiviey within the household had been implimented. Looks like we're back to waiting again.

TELSTRA, THIS IS A MUST PLEASE.

Highlighted

I'm a new C6300 user and what I've found so far is that "Parental controls" on the C6300 Telstra version are a joke. If you set a parental control for your children this then blocks all access including you the parent as well. How pathetic is that when the firmware on the original Netgear C6300 can do this without trouble. There appears to be no way currently to block specific DEVICES via ip address or MAC address on the telstra firmware version. If I set a time to block my child's internet access everything is turned off meaning I have no access also!! Really Telstra you need to fix this and fix it fast. For inspiration checkout the parental controls on the ASUS RT-AC68U router (my old router), time based per device parental controls are simplicity itself to setup.

Someone said that parental controls wouls be improved in firmware, well it's months since that was said and no improvements yet!! 

If I'm wrong and this can indeed be done I'd love to know how.

Ok did a bit of searching and it seems this can indeed be done, but you have to go into advanced view in the web interface. Then you select parental controls, time scheduling pick a device and you can set on/off times. Not as easy as the ASUS but glad it's there. Will see how this works.

Highlighted

Well after further research, device parental control works but it is very limited. You can only set 3 time rules per device which is not sufficient in my view and for the way I want to set it up. If you try to setup a new rule with the same device to add more time rules it says you can't duplicate device!!

This really needs improving. Why not be able to set 10 or more time rules per device?

4/10 Telstra

Highlighted

Did this ever actually work for you? The Time of day access either on or off. No variable work? Trying to get Telstra to do something about it. 

Highlighted

Gday HDJedi,

Thanks for supplying some info re these appalling Parental Controls, can you point to the source of your info? setting up via advanced views seems very counterintuitive.

I'm hoping to determine wether or not i setup rules for every device? or can it be a single rule? 

Thanks

Dan

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more