Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max completely dysfunctional

I installed my newly received (sent by Telstra, not requested) Gateway Max for cable broadband last Sunday. Prior to that I had the old Motorola Surfboard with Airport Extreme with no problems.

After installing the Gateway Max it all seemed to be working fine apart from my VPN which is essential for my job. My phone was connecting to the internet via Wifi but I didn't check other devices at that time. After reading a few things on here I switched the Gateway Max over to Bridged mode to see if that allowed VPN.

This solved the VPN issue. But now none of my devices connect to the Gateway Max: iphones, iPads, Apple TV. My Apple TV is effectively bricked. I have working internet from the desktop. My Apple TV can successfully connect to the Wifi but can't connect to the internet.

If I try and switch it back to non-bridged mode, the internet doesn't connect at all. Just doesn't work. It doesn't matter about devices connecting to the wifi as they can't connect to the internet. It's hard work connecting to the router IP address, but I can eventually. I get a message saying the modem can't detect a cable signal, which is clearly rubbish. 

Things I've tried:

1) Reset Gateway by pressing and holding reset button for more than 10 seconds

2) Restore to factory settings via Gateway Max homepage

3) Leaving the Gateway Max completely turned off for a while, checking the cable connections etc.

4) Adding in a different router via ethernet and connecting to that device

5) Spending more than two hours on the phone with Tech Support on Thursday night trying to solve this problem.

None of these have worked obviously. The phone people on Tech Support effectively told me given I have a working internet connection it's not their problem, it must be the devices: devices that worked perfectly well prior to the Gateway Max being installed. They also said that Platinum Support may be able to help me but I would have to sign up and pay for that. I don't see why I should have to sign up for Platinum support and pay for a problem that I didn't have until Telstra sent it to me. It's a kind of extortion really. 

Basically there must be something in the Gateway Max modem that is at fault. I want to go back to my old Motorola modem that, although slower, worked perfectly well and we had a functioning home. Does ANYONE know:

1) How to solve this problem, without having to phone the people on tech support who have no idea what to do or

2) Get my Motorola surfboard working again. It's stopped since I registered the Gateway Max at initial installation.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra Gateway Max completely dysfunctional

I have had a very simular issue.  And its really annoying me now. 
Apent hours on the phone to telstra !!! Seems like bridge mode stuffs something up.
Going to see if i can just get a modem like the old surfboard. Im over this !!

Highlighted

is it fixed have same problem
Highlighted

is it resolved have same problem
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There are two Telstra Gateway Max modems, one for ADSL/NBN and another for Cable. Can you confirm what firmware version you have and modem version that you have?

There was a VPN issue resolved earlier this year for the Cable Netgear C6300.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hey, I have the same issue, 

I cannot log into modem admin from the desktop that has internet either?

is there a fix 

oh mines acable modem.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi breaker,

As per Shellock's post above:

"There are two Telstra Gateway Max modems, one for ADSL/NBN and another for Cable.

Can you please confirm what firmware version you have and modem version that you have?

There was a VPN issue resolved earlier this year for the Cable Netgear C6300."

Let us know how you go, otherwise you can also contact support here http://tel.st/gq6m via Live Chat. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

On the off chance that you have been playing with your settings and put it into bridged mode, you can access the admin functions via 192.168.100.1

Having recently played with VPN and the Telstra Cable modem, I am not sure if this was just a timing issue (Telstra or the VPN provider having a problem when I was playing) but I suspect that the modem just doesn't support VPN. You probably need to set up your device in bridged mode and connect a 3rd party wifi router.
Highlighted

Please ignore this post. The modem finally responded. Cheers.

Highlighted

I'm having a similar problem. Set the Telstra Gateway Max to bridge mode and everything went haywire. I reset the Gateway Max and was able to recover the wifi but not the new Telstra nbn phone or the home phones connected to the Gateway. I have also lost all ability to connect to login page of the modem. I've tried the IP address listed below. Any suggestions. 

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you tried these IP address http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.15.1?

Gateway default user names and passwords
admin/admin or
admin/password or
admin/blank (no password) or
admin/telstra

You can check IP address of gateway on a PC by checking network adaptor settings or typing ipconfig at a command prompt.n a PC

On an Android  go to Wifi settings long tapon SSID select modify.

Tick show advanced options.

Change Ip Settings to static.

Gateway address is displayed

Change IP Settings back to DHCP before tapping finish.

On IOS go to WiFi settings and tap on the i symbol on the right hand side of SSID

Highlighted

With a bit of persistency I managed to get everything working again on the router. I still wish to connect a second if possible but I will leave it until I have done a little more research. Thanks anyway. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more