Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Max Netgear

I am having endless issues with my home ofice network.

After initial set up of the gateway max everything worked fine (Braodband not ADSL). Wi-Fi, Ethernet etc for at least 6 months.

Several months ago it starterded to play up (needed to re-boot the router to get it working). 

Telstra support would only help up to the point that the device was connected to the internet.

Eventually Telstra support sent me a new router. Within 2 weeks the same issues were happening on the new device.

A Tec was sent out as it was deemed a line issue. He changed some parts and said the line had too much power going through the DownStream Bonded Channels (power on all channels were around 11 - now sitting between 1.1 and 3.4) it so it shoule be fixed. All good for a week or so then back to the same issue.

Issues as follows:

First internet slows down.

Eventually internet does not work.

Re-Booting router fixes the problem 30% of the time. often I have to rebooot multiple times then re-set the modem to factory then reset my settings then re-apply my backup configuration settings. This workd for anything between 1 day and 2 weeks but it always stuffs up eventually.

I've disconnected several devices to wee if certain computers, NVR's NAS Drives etc may be the cause. Same issues always come back.

Wiredest part is internet may be down, the router interface can not be accessed but I can see other devices on the network.

As I run a small business from home having these isses severly interupts my day/week/month. Bottom line is this has cost many over 100 hours in pain.

Any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra Gateway Max Netgear

As you have a Cable modem, I would suggest that you try disconnecting the modem from the power and coaxial cable for at least 15 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection in a way that a restart will not. 

If you have Foxtel sharing the same socket, remove the splitter and test with only the modem connected directly to the outlet to test.

If the issue continues, please keep reporting the issue to Tech Support on 133 933 so that we can keep investigating this for you.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hi Shelly,

Re "disconnecting the modem from the power and coaxial cable for at least 15 minutes". I have done this many times and it works for anything between 15 minutes to 2 weeks.

I read the "Cable Gateway Max and Macbook Pro" and "C6300BD Gateway Max into BridgeMode" threads.

At the moment I have connected my old Belkin Router (previousley conneted to the Tesltra Modem) now connected to the Gateway Max in Bridge Mode. The Belkin is again chugging away. All devices now working albeit slower than on the Gateway Max but at least stable (no drop outs).

My only problem now is seeing my security NVR Camera's on my smartphone. Works fine on the smartphones and tablets while using the Belkin Router on WiFi but not on the Cellular Network. It previousely worked on my iPhone using 3G/4G on my old Telstra Modem connected to the same Belkin Router. And yes I have set the iPhone to the Belkin's IP address.

Also I still have the Gateway Max 2.4 WiFi turned on while in Bridge Mode. I wanted this as the Gateway max allowed better reception at a distance on my tablets and smart phones. It was working fine at first for the first 10 hours then it stopped.

I appreciate your response here. However after the countless hours this has cost me and my business (this has gone on for about 9 months - maybe longer - its all in the Telstra logs) all I want to do is give the Gateway Max a burial and have a modem that I can connect my own router to.

I really do not want to call Tech Support again and spend another 2 hours waiting to be put through to someone who, as soon as they have me connected to the web, tell me thier job is done and the problem is solved.

Can Telstra supply a Cable Modem/router that does not stuff up like the Gateway Max ?

Or

Can Telstra Supply a Cable Modem - No router?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Each service gets 2 or 3 public IPs. By having the Wi-Fi enabled on the Cable Gateway Max while the NAT is disabled, all of your devices (including the Wi-Fi ones) will be competing for those IPs. 

As the modem is in Bridged mode (disabled NAT) and you continue to experience difficulties with this, I suspect it will be due to the Wi-Fi being enabled or other components of your setup. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Between the last post and now I had already switched off the WiFi on the cable modem and still can not see the NVR security system.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Please give it at least 24 hours from when you switched off the Wi-Fi before you test again.

- Shelly

Yep - Was over 24 hours and I still could not access the NVR on a Mobile devive.

As an FYI - 8.00 am ish this morning we lost Cable Foxtel on all 3 boxes and we lost internet.

We have a Tech coming out tomorrow to check the lines as both Telstra and Foxtel have advised there are no known line issues but nothing is working.

Maybe there is a different issue.

Will post results if this helps with your future problem solving.

I'm jumping between the office Network (router) and Phone (internet) to keep my business running.

More Bad news.

Dear Shelly,

I understand this is a crowd support site so please do not take this as a dig at you. You actually give reasonbale responses. Thank you. I am merely informing you of how 7 of my hours were spent today with multiple calls to different departments.

After about 4 - 5 hours of various calls I thought tomorrow will be the day this gets sorted.

An hour or so later I had confirmation call from Telstra that a Tech was coming out tomorrow.

About an hour later I had another call cancelling the tech as it was a line issue that was fixed.

About another hour later (yep) another call from Telstra confirming a Tec was coming out tomorrow. I did tell this person about the other 2 calls but was assured the tech is booked.

About 7.30 pm Foxtel started working but not Telstra internet.

Reset the GatewayMax to factory settings and internet worked. Restored a previous working configuration and internet stopped. Routing still worked.

Reset the GatewayMax to factory settings again and internet worked. Restored a different previous working configuration and internet stopped. Routing still worked.

Reset the GatewayMax to factory settings and internet worked. Changed password and gateway then internet stopped working. Routing still worked.

Reset the GatewayMax to factory settings and internet worked. Changed to brideged with WIFI off. No internet but I had a network on the belkin router.

Reset the router................ X many more attempts including attaching a new cable.

At the moment I have the Gatway Max as a Modem router (of course no internet) and no belkin attached. So I have a netwrok but no Internet.

If the answer is "Leave it at factory settings" what is the point having all the features to use it for a network?

All I want is a stable connection. Happy to buy a reliable Router that can connect to a reliable modem.

Feel sorry for the dude coming tomorrow. 

He is not leaving until I have working internet and a functioning network. 

Gateway Max Replaced (3rd unit this tear).

New Device holding personal settings and every device in the house is connected and working for the last 12 hours.

My only concern is the "POWER" value shown in the table below. The last router had values this high and the visiting Tech (November) advised this was too high and changed a part reducing the values to between 1.4 and 3.5dBmV.

Hopefully this is the end of the problems.Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 7.51.36 AM.jpg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that replacing the modem has addressed many of the issues that you have been experiencing. 

Keep an eye on the modem and if you have any further difficulties, please contact Tech Support so that a techncian can be organised to investigate further.

- Shelly

Hi Shelly and my fellow Mac users,

I had to bite the bullet and buy a 3rd Party Router and put the 3rd Gateway Max into Bridge Mode.

2 days after a Telstra Tech supplyed the new Gateway Max ( 3rd in 10months) the Gateway Max crashes started again.

I kept the Gateway Max settings at factory standard (just cahnged the password - thats it) but I kept having issues. 

Whatever devices (other than my Mac computers) I disconnected to try sort the problem did not work. The Crashes kept happening every 1 - 4 days. And in betweeen crashes the internet speed fluctuated greately (re-booting computers tended to fix the problem temporarily).

Putting the Gateway Max in Bridge Mode and having an Apple Airport Extreme has resolved all the issues.

For any Mac Users out there having similar issues - Its not worth the heart ache of trying to get the Gateway Max to play nice. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more