Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Gateway Max - Parental Controls - Setting "Time of Day Access" kills the modem.

Answered

Hi Crowd Support,

I have just set time of day access on my Telstra Gateway Max cable modem and it turrned it into a house brick.

That's NO WiFi ,  NO Ethernet,  nada, nothing.  Can't even access the administration interface anymore.

So it looks like enabling the Time of Day Access, entering a Day & Time access restriction for a device and then applying that setting kills all and any acess to and from the modem.

Can anybody please advise if this is a known issue what can be done to:

1/ Restore functionality to the modem.

2/ Set and use the "Parental Controls - Time of Day Access" controls for their intended purpose without killing the modem in the process.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max - Parental Controls - Setting "Time of Day Access" kills the modem

Sounds about right to me.

I find it easier to visualise in 24 hour format, so in this instance you want to restrict access from 22:00 hours to 24:00 hours.

As your local time is +10 (10 hours ahead of GMT), subtracting 10 from the above gives 12:00 to 14:00.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra Gateway Max - Parental Controls - Setting "Time of Day Access" kills the modem.

Hi Redline,

1/ To restore functionality to the modem, start by resetting the modem to it's factory default settings.  Then you will be able to access it again.

2/ We can provide instructions on how to set up the Parental Controls depending on which type of modem you have.

Is it the ADSL Telstra Gateway Max (TG799)  or the Cable Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear C6300)?

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Re: Telstra Gateway Max - Parental Controls - Setting "Time of Day Access" kills the modem

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response.

OK I have reset the modem using the reset botton on the back of the modem which has restored access.

The modem I have is a Telatra Gateway Max - Cable Modem (Hardware Version: C6300BD-202).

I have set up a "Time of Day Access" restriction again for a PC on my home network.  I also have the "Enable Access Control" box ticked to enable the restriction.

But when that time arrives the "Time of Day Access" restriction has no effect.  

The PC still has the same WiFi and Ethernet access to the internet that it had prior to the restriction time frame.

I can send you screen shots of the setting I have in place if you like.  Just let me kknow where to send them.

Cheers.

Highlighted

"But when that time arrives the "Time of Day Access" restriction has no effect".  

Redline

Don't forget that the C6300BD gateway works in GMT.  You need to convert your access/blocked  times accordingly.

Highlighted

You sneaky Greyfox.

Where did you pick up that tricky little piece of information.  I didn't know that.

That also very confusing and totally non intuitive.

So let me see if I've got this right.

We are currently GMT +10 Hours.  So if I want to restrict a PC from 10pm to 12am (midnight) I would have to set the restriction for 12pm to 2pm (of the same day). 

Or basically 10 Hours before the actual restiction time frame required.  

Did I get that right.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Sounds about right to me.

I find it easier to visualise in 24 hour format, so in this instance you want to restrict access from 22:00 hours to 24:00 hours.

As your local time is +10 (10 hours ahead of GMT), subtracting 10 from the above gives 12:00 to 14:00.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

OK thanks Greyfox,

I'll give it a go.

Also where did you get that info about GMT Time for the Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD.

Cheers.

Highlighted

Hi Greyfox,

Don't worry, after a bit more searching I found the modems "Current System Time" which is indeed in GMT.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Wow GMT.  You've got to be kidding me.  Who on earth thought that was a sensible idea? Words just about fail me.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

So I bricked my wireless too, luckily kept ethernet open.  Then i search all the menus to see if the date/time is set wrong... no date or time... So then I see this discussion about GMT conversion being required.  WTH?!  That is the most ridiculous thing to offer time of day controls and then have NO comment anywhere indicating it isnt local time, or no way to set a modem time/date.  Seriously Telstra.  You need to do an update and let people maintain local time on it.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Are all Telstra gateway max modems set to Greenwich mean time. Can I not set my modem time to eastern standard?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Telstra Gateway Max can refer to the Netgear C6300 for Cable services or the Technicolor TG799 for ADSL & NBN. 

If you have the Netgear modem, at this time the ToD rules will need to be set using GMT. This is not specific to the modem but due to Cable network. There are plans for this to change, however I cannot predict when this change will be available to users.

ADSL & NBN customers with the Technicolor modem will not need to adjust for GMT.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Setting the Parental Controls in GMT with no automatic adjustment for say AEST is not user friendly and I had to search for 2 hours to find this solution.

Telstra, is this still the case today?
If so when will you fix this very bad anomaly?
Highlighted

Hoping someone is still listening to this thread, i have managed to master GMT on my NEtgear Cable modem, but when i do this it seems to terminate all devices on the wifi, not just the single device that i have nominated (childs Ipad).

Is there a magic trick to simply applying time of day restrictions to a single device/ mac address?

thanks in advance!

dan

Highlighted

There has to be a way to get this fixed ! Can't netgear do a firmware upgrade? Every other device I use can be told we live in Australia - it isn't that hard !

When is this going to be sorted out Telstra?

Highlighted

Dan

The Enable TOD access enables the rules you have set.  If no rules then I suspect everything.

You need to Add a rule ensuring:

- You tick the Enable TOD access under the rule if this is what you what

- Select Device radio button and the device from the dropdown (may need to make sure device is on)

- Give it a Name you can remember

- Set the days

- IMportantly make sure All Day is not ticked (unless you been it) and set the time to be blocked (in GMT), you can have multiple times (But within the same days selected).

Hope that helps

Martian

Highlighted

Thanks Martian,

is that to say, when you turn ToD on you terminate access to everytihng, and you need to create rules to let other devices in?

Regards,

Dan

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

@Mkraa wrote:

There has to be a way to get this fixed ! Can't netgear do a firmware upgrade? Every other device I use can be told we live in Australia - it isn't that hard !

When is this going to be sorted out Telstra?

I believe the correct response to your question is "When Telstra realises that its future will rely on its customers satisfaction and begins to give a **bleep** about them".

Highlighted

I have found problems with:

The modem's time of day (it may not be set to local time)

and

The controls are seen below - the yellow shaded explanation is very vague. It seems that if you check NOTHING, your rule (block in this case) is active all the time. In order to make the rule work in the specified time, you need to check the boxes for the relevant days you want it to work AND specify the block time (22:00-23:00 in this case). I rang Telstra for support - and the service agent had no idea what I was talking about - she did not know what parental controls were about.

Capture.JPG

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more