Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max Wifi dropping out

Answered

Hi,

The Wifi for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz drop out at least 3 times a day. One will drop out while the other continues to work. A reboot fixes the issue, but only temporarily. Help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max Wifi dropping out

Hi Ministelis. 

Here are a list of DIY support tools for ADSL and wifi. 

Please read through them, try out what you can, and let us know how it goes. 

Wifi roubleshooting
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

Make sure your modem settings are correct

ADSL Troubleshooting tips

If youhave not already, you can contact support on 133933 or Live chat online here: http://tel.st/gq6m

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I came across this thread while researching the exact same problems. I have a cable Gateway Max modem/router, new about March 2016. Very slow and variable internet speeds on wireless, samsung tablet seeming to reconnect to the network when picked up, iPad apps not working, iPad mysteriously being on the 2.4 ghz network when it was on the 5 ghz network, my Sonos system completely messed up (I could not just get Sonos to read my NAS server), the laptop starting to ask for the network password from time to time, as well as the iPad..........things were getting worse and worse.

After 4 or 5 goes with the Telstra technicians, the last guy suggested that I do a factory reset. Voila. Everything has returned to normal, and all I had to do was reconfigure all the devices in the house to connect. Even the Sonos system is now working.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but this solution did work for me.

I read about someone getting replacement modem/router. Something I did not want to do. The 2nd last Telstra guy was talking about getting me a replacement if his solution did not work.

Hope that this helps someone,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hi,

Require clarification. It's not your Telstra ADSL service dropping out but you homes WIFI network? How did to determine its only your WIFI? Has something directly plugged into the router and it seemed to work?

I know nothing about this modem router but I'll do my best to help out.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Hi, Thank you for the reply,

yes the cabled service still works. just not 1 or both of the dual band wifi networks

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi Ministelis. 

Here are a list of DIY support tools for ADSL and wifi. 

Please read through them, try out what you can, and let us know how it goes. 

Wifi roubleshooting
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

Make sure your modem settings are correct

ADSL Troubleshooting tips

If youhave not already, you can contact support on 133933 or Live chat online here: http://tel.st/gq6m

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Hi,

For people having this issue, please check if you have a Intel Wifi network card. I had the same issue and I have solved it by disabling 802.11n.

See the following link for some further information: https://technosopher.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/wireless-slow-flaky-crashing-router-intel-6300-6205-51...

Note, for windows go to the device manager, select the wifi adaptor and check the 'Advanced' tab. There should be a setting that allows you to disable 802.11n.

Good luck!

Highlighted

I have same issue - I have chromecast, android and ios devices, plus windows 7 and windows 8 laptops all connecting to this modem (use 2.4ghz only).

It really is annoying the modem wifi just stop working randomly - even when I don't have laptop connected the wifi can dropout, so not clear how disabling 811n on a laptop will fix a router issue.  Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of Telstra as to getting firmware updates I assume.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wrd2088,

Can you advise what troubleshooting steps that you have tried so far?

https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Same problem, wireless drops out at random on all wireless devices connected to the Gateway Max, even those with full signal.

I can't say i seen the issue prior to update 5510_10410. I think they have royally stuffed this up and have their heads in the sand over the issue.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi 50Calibre, 

Sorry to hear of the drop outs Smiley Sad 

Our Tech Team is not in over the weekend, however I will flag with them so they can assist on Monday. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 50Calibre, 

There are two types of Telstra Gateway Max modems, an ADSL Technicolor TG799 Gateway Max and a Netgear CG6300 Gateway Max.  In order to provide relevant information can you let us know which one are you using and what type of  troubleshooting have you tried in regards to this?

- Ben

Highlighted

hi Ben_Telstra.
I have a similar problem. is it possible to bridge the C6300bd to another router?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Studmeister

It is possible to bridge it to another router - I don't have details on how to do so, as I'm not a Tech myself, however if you need a hand with doing so, a member of the forums should be able to help. Or our Tech Team when they return on Monday :-)

Highlighted

i have a cg6300 max.

after the telstra air update i get random dropouts when using it.

the dropouts are a little weird, like most of the time it looses internet connection but i still have a wifi connection to the router, and can access the internal router webpage which says(cable connection working fine)

notes.

im not torrenting, we use the connection for youtube and netflix but not heavly....

we have 6 devices connected by wifi

chrome, 2 laptops 2 phones and ipad...

i have factrory reset the router, still have same issues.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi round, 

If you are connecting all your devices through the WiFi broadcast of your modem, then my first suggestion is to have a look at the following WiFi troubleshooting article.  It contains tips, an on-line tool and a downloadable app which can help in optimising your connection.  

I usually find that changing the channel the modem transmits the WiFi signal on can help.  You may have to try a few different channels before finding an optimal one.

- Ben

Highlighted

Hello,

i have been experiencing wi-fi issues over the past week or so.

I have a Technicolor TG797n v3 connected to two Windows 10 computers via cable and a samsung Android Galaxy SII via wi-fi.

Problem1.

The Phone on Wi-Fi appears to be connected via wifi but when I try search using Google it saya unable to connect even thoug the up an down arrows on the WI-Fi symble indicate there is activity. To fix it I turn off wi-fi on the phone and turn it back on. Then everthing is OK.  After a period of time it again says unable to connect and stops updating emails and Whatsapp messages don't shoe untill I switch off and then on again the wifi

Another sympotm is that it said log into your internet and took me to the ADSL Modem page ip 100.0.0.138. I'm a bit concerned that passers by may get the same message and be able to log into my modem an view the wi-fi password.

Problem2.

The Windows 10 computers change the newtoek connection from Private to Public connection and not allow access to the internet. Noe sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or a Modem issue

In the interim I have turned off SSID broadcast and changed the wi-Fi password

Would like some help on making the log in to the modem secure with a password

Any ideas

Douglas

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Douglas,

To change the log in, so that a password is needed;

• Access your modem page using the IP address 10.0.0.138, 
  • Click on the Advanced tab at the top right hand side of the page.
  • Locate the Management card on the Advanced page and click on it to open it.
  • In there you can use the edit button  to edit the Admin user details and add a password.

- Ben

Highlighted

Thanks Ben,

Spent hours looking for the right spot but did not look in there.

Hopefully I am now safe and secure

Regards

Douglas

Highlighted

Hi there! I have just had delivered today and installed the Gateway Max, and since then I have experienced the internet dropping out altogether, as in - all green lights go off, and one red light.

This never happened with the other modem, the amount of devices we have connected has not changed (no more or less), I have a teenager with a macbook, an imac, a son with an ipad, iphones x 2, imac, xbox, andriod. I found the service lagged on the last modem, when i called Telstra they recommended this gateway. I must say when it is connected, it is fine, it must have disconneced itself at lest 6 times in the 14 or so hours that it has been installed. 

I am not tech savvy, but I am certain it is connected properly.

Someone please point me in the direction I need to go to fix this annoying issue before I call and demand this thing be returned.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DeeJoeRayAal

I'd recommend taking a look at the WiFi troubleshooting link in Ben_Telstra's post above, which is http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516 

I
t's a great starting point for dealing with issues like these. 

Give it a try and let us know how you go. 

Highlighted

Hi, I also am having wifi drop outs Tia has been about 3-4 weeks , all my devices foxtel iq3 box /smart TV /iPhones etc , I have to reboot either foxtel or the modem , can any one help , my contract is ending soon I may go to another service provider if this is not sorted out
Highlighted

Hello,

Update on the issues I was having as per my initial post.   I have changed the Wi-fi frequency to 802.11 b/g instead of 802.11 b/g/n.  I believe this restricts my wi-fi to the slower but more reliable frequency. Since doing this I have not had any further wi-fi or internet connection issues.

To do this select the "Advanced menu" and then "Wireless" and change

the "Standard" Setting from 802.11 b/g/n to 802.11 b/g in the drop down options

Regards,

Douglas

Highlighted

Thanks Douglas , I'll try it & let you know
Highlighted

Hey .Douglas another question should I change it from the 2.4 ghz the iPhone's & iPads connect to as well
Highlighted

Hello,

I set my Gateway to only operate the WiFi on 2.4 Gighz by using the setting 802.11 b/g.

As I understand it the setting  802.11 b/g/n allows the gateway WiFi to operate at both 2.4 Gighz and 5 Gighz.

if you have good signal quality 5 Gighz. allows for a faster connection between your Gateway and wi-fi device.

However in my circumstance my crappy internet speed from my Telstra ADSL2+ service is only 8,000 Kbits per second. This is much slower than the 2.4 Gighz wi-fi channel. Therefore I see no advantage in using the faster 5GigHz WI-fi  channel if my ADSL connection to Telstra cannot keep up.

I would suggest you set everything to the slower speed. If this fixes the drop out issue you are having then good. if you need a faster speed on your devices then you can try other options.

I am not familiar with how your gateway is set up. My gateway has all wifi devices on the one login.

If you have a separate login for ipad / Iphone, and another login for TV devices then you could try different setting for each login.

I found my wifi devices were upsetting the gateway which I suspect also affected the ethernet connected devices.

By locking the Wifi to the 2.4 Ghz speed all my problems have dissapeared. (Touch Wood)

Regards,

Douglas

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Awesome feedback there Douglas, thanks Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Highlighted

I also have this problem with our CG6300 Max.

After reading the suggestions, and setting the wifi channel to a fixed frequency, it seemed to fix it.

I offer this theory....

Consider AUTO mode, how would this work?

Would the gateway periodically stop working, scan the frequencies and pick the quietest channel?

Wouldn't that cause this issue that everyone is having?

My hypothesis is that the gateway periodically stops functioning as an Access Point, and rescans for an unused frequency before returning to AP mode, possibly on a different frequency. This causes the wifi clients to drop out, and reconnect, not before the interface drops out and closes all those TCP connections. Users would notice this behaviour, just like Census night!

Recommended channels are 1, 6 and 11. That is because the spectrum width of the channel is really wide, it covers 3 channels, so spacing them at 4 ~6 gives clearance for wifi APs that are situated in close proximity, like your neighbours wifi gateway.

Good luck everyone!

Highlighted

I have the same symptoms as many other people - a Netgear C6300 cable Max with random wifi internet dropouts occuring many times a day ranging from a few minutes apart to, occasioanlly, a few hours apart.  My O/S is Windows 10.

I have tried every fix and or recommendation I could find and nothing has solved the issue.

The wifi link itself remains connected and stable with maximum signal strength.  All devices connected to the router via ethernet cable operate properly and retain internet access even when wifi internet access has dropped out.

The Telstra support has been appalling.  I have rung the help line many times, including sms follow up call back links.  Putting aside the huge waste of time waiting in queues, every time I have to start again and go through describing the problem from scratch.  Then we get to the same point in what must be an operator script and the whole help service falls over.

After many tries, I was told that nothing further could be done until the line levels were checked.  THis was patently a waste of time and effort as all cable levels logged within the modem were good and all other directly conected ethernet services were working well.  A technician finally called (he was a nice chap so that was a plus) and duly confirmed that the levels were in fact fine.  His advice to me was to get another router and to put the Cable Max modem in bridge mode. Unbelievable!  Like most other people, I bought this modem because it was advertised as a top of the line dual band wifi modem/router with A/C functionality.  It clearly does not meet the terms and conditions under which it was represented and sold.

When I need to do something important, like banking or such, I have to put my mobile phone in hotspot mode and connect to the internet via the mobile network and pay Telstra additonal fees for mobile data usage.  It is a win/win situation for Telstra - do nothing about their product failures and collect network fees - but it is a lose/lose scenario for customers.

Highlighted

Now I am laughing. I just posted the above complaint and my email beeped and I found that I have just earned a new badge!!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I came across this thread while researching the exact same problems. I have a cable Gateway Max modem/router, new about March 2016. Very slow and variable internet speeds on wireless, samsung tablet seeming to reconnect to the network when picked up, iPad apps not working, iPad mysteriously being on the 2.4 ghz network when it was on the 5 ghz network, my Sonos system completely messed up (I could not just get Sonos to read my NAS server), the laptop starting to ask for the network password from time to time, as well as the iPad..........things were getting worse and worse.

After 4 or 5 goes with the Telstra technicians, the last guy suggested that I do a factory reset. Voila. Everything has returned to normal, and all I had to do was reconfigure all the devices in the house to connect. Even the Sonos system is now working.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but this solution did work for me.

I read about someone getting replacement modem/router. Something I did not want to do. The 2nd last Telstra guy was talking about getting me a replacement if his solution did not work.

Hope that this helps someone,

Highlighted

There is a small hole under the turn on button on the modem.It has a little 'r' under it,Get a pin or nail or unwound paper clip and put it in the hole and hold in for 15 seconds, then release. Wait for 15 mins or so and your modem will be reset.

Highlighted

It may have nothing to do with your equipment. You may be connecting to the port at the exchange OK and that linmk may not be fssiling at all. However, one or more of the hops to your destination may be failing and hence it looks like the internet is dropping out. 
How do you test for this... downloat one of two tools  or both:

https://netuptimemonitor.com/   

Net uptime monitor will alert you to failures in your internet connection and record their exact time and length. This info will help your internet provider troubleshoot the problem – after it helps you convince them it’s not your imagination! 

PingPlotter Free is software that graphs network performance so you can find the source of problems and share the evidence with people who can help. 

Both of these utilities will demonstrate that the net drops in and out frequently. on a bad day, over 100 times a day varying from 5 seconds to half an hour or more. Most days around a dozen times. 
Calling your service provider and resetting your modem is a waste of time, as the tehcs are always assuming its the modem or the comnection to the exchange. By the time you reset the modem, the internet connection is most likely back up and you may think that recycling your modem fixed the internet problem.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

K I have read else where  about so call drop outs 

k how many devices are connected to  your modem. 

if you have eg like 6.

try this  for a day or 2 

reduce the number of devices, as  you may be having wifi over load which is resetting your  modem.

if this is the case call telstra and explain that the modem is no handling  the amount of devices  in your house hold and see if they will help u get another ...

the techicolor tg797n is notorius for this  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more