luke_con
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Pro Netgear V7610 - Bridge mode

Hi ! 

I need help in how i set my "Netgear Router V7610" into a "brdige mode".

I have read over about 5 different crowd support post but nothing has worked for me.

Im not sure how to setup the Netgear Telstra router or the TP link load balancer.

With the TG979 router all i had to do is put it in bridge mode and it all work perfect. Which was great!

I dont use any phone lines with the Netgear router.

My setup is 

-TP link TL-R470+ V4 (load balancer)

2 internet connections

- TG797n telstra router (works perfect in bridge mode) - ADSL2 - home account

- Netgear Router V7610 - ADSL2 - telstra business account 

This is my first time posting so not exactly sure on how to do this :-)

Thanks, Luke.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Gateway Pro Netgear V7610 - Bridge mode

The simple method would be to turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear.

You let the TP Link act as the DHCP Server for your network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

Is there a setting for disabling the NAT on the V7610? Also disable Wi-Fi

luke_con

There is only an option for - "secure" or "open" . not to disable.
cf4

Turning of NAT is virtually the same as bridging the modem. The external IP address will be allocated to a device connected to the modems LAN ports. I am not sure if NAT "open" has the same effect. 

luke_con

I have disabled the DHCP on the netgear router. But it didnt help at all. it just didnt register the router/modem any more.

It still has the same ip address of 192.168.15.1 . Do i need to chnage this to be within my network range? like 10.0.0.xxx?

screenshot of settings - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlshn28hmfp4zwh/Screenshot%202017-04-10%2015.58.15.png?dl=0

NAT options screenshot - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ovwtp352pl2mdj/Screenshot%202017-04-10%2015.59.13.png?dl=0

thanks for your help.

Luke.

cf4

Yes it does have to be in same 10.0.0.xx range.

luke_con

i have now tried that too. and i ended up having to use the reset button on the modem to get it to work again. 

Do you know if there would be any specific setting on my load balancer i would have to do to make this work? 

i have it in DHCP at the moment. But it only picks up the 192.168.15.1 address and not the WAN .

this is why the technicolour modem i use is great as when you place it in bridge mode it all just works.

none of the settings i have changes so far (nat to open - DHCP off - WiFi Off - change ip address to 10.0.0.xx ) have made any difference.

not sure what to try next. thanks

luke

cf4

For it to pick up the WAN port Netgear would need to be Bridged or NAT turned off. Have you tried setting NAT to "Open" on the Netgear.

Or could try turning NAT off

"You can disable NAT on the Telstra Gateway Pro v7610 by going into the Advanced tab, selecting the Setup menu and then WAN Setup. From here you can set NAT Filtering to off."

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-gateway-pro-v7610-push-into-bridged-m...

The only other solution is to use a third party ADSL modem in Bridge mode.

luke_con

The Netgears Firmware must of changed as this is not an option on my router. see the screen shot below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsz03ghz1yz0byt/Screenshot%202017-04-11%2006.57.48.png?dl=0

BNSGroup
Level 1: Cadet

I just received a V7610 (May 2017) and ran the setup.   There is no option for bridge mode.  There is no option to turn off NAT.   

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There is no option to run the modem in bridged mode and there are no updates available to advise if this will change in the future. 

To test a theory, I have placed the Telstra Gateway Pro behind a BYO router on our test bench. The phone services still worked, however this is not something that our Tech Support team will assist with configuring or guarantee that it will work. You would also need to prioritise voice on the BYO router that you use to connect.

- Shelly 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

HughJass

turning off DHCP is not bridged mode....

Jupiter

I know this @HughJass, it was a suggestion to try and obtain a similar result as the device could not be put into bridge mode. It's called a workaround.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
HughJass

turning off DHCP is not even a work-around... it then just means that this guy wont know how to put a static IP on his machine to get back into the router...

Hood1e

Hi,

Plug your Ethernet cable into the LAN port on the v7610 from your main router, manually set your routers IP address into the same range as the main router uses, eg if its giving out 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.100   maybe give it the address 10.0.0.249 as its address.

Set the main routers IP Address as its gateway.

Disable DHCP on the 7610

This will give you most of the functionality of Bridge Mode at better speed, this router doesn't have bridge mode available in the firmware they use for Telstra

Im doing this to take advantage of the Wave 2 wifi technology and using a Telstra gateway router connection to my landline and VDSL (FTTN) all works perfectly.

I disable the Wifi on the main router.

This should achieve what you want.

AnswerIs42

OK, I have cracked this nut for VoIP, which is probably why you are wanting to 'bridge' the modem.

Firstly, Telstra has gone to a lot of trouble to NOT allow you to change their router with their DOT NBN service. Sure that might be fine for some business's, but for those that are technology savvy, I would strongly urge you look to not use DOT if your going to run any local service that is out of the norm.. Out of the norm includes IPsec VPNs and other time critical apps like RDP.

So my client was with a Telstra business router on DOT, over the NBN. We went to add some time sensitive critical TCP based traffic via the router, but found the v7610 with the Telstra Firmware no longer has the traditional Netgear QoS control. In fact, you cannot change anything. So in testing, we found issues with VoIP calls causing packet delays at startup of a VoIP call, affecting the time critical TCP traffic, and this was on a 50Mbs/10Mbs framed up NBN service. Upon contacting Telstra support, they tried to fix but were next to useless as they could not modify the router to support the QoS changes that were needed.

Right I said, we will fix this.. in with my trustie Draytek Vigor 2862 xDSL modem with the NBN firmware, and brilliant, everything works... except the blastered Telstra VoIP on the router, now nested as a LAN device on the Draytek, to the WAN port of the Telstra modem.

I had discovered that the Telstra modem disabled the WAN port after a minute of been up with link. What, why.. back to Telstra support. No idea why, but hey, they DONT SUPPORT THE WAN PORT... yet another industry standard removed from the Telstra firmware..

So I went on the 'bridge' angle.. Still no fix.. nothing worked. But by pure accident, I put the modem on its WAN port, via a Shared Internet connection from a windows PC.. Suddenly the Internet and Voice lights came up... WTF is going on... oh my... of course.. the Telstra modem on the WAN port can only see the parent Windows shared port PC... and not a pile of other PCs..

Off we went back to the rack, reconfigured the Telstra modem back into the picture and confirmed that definelty it would not work in a shared MAC address LAN space of the parent networkin on the WAN port.

The fix: On the Draytek, disable all VoIP ports in the Vigor. Setup a new VLAN, with its own LAN subnet, set the DHCP servers to the Telstra DNS servers in the new LAN confir, and no inter-vlan routing. You must set this new VLAN against a single Ethernet port on the Draytek, I used P4. Nothing else must be on the new VLAN. Now cabling from P4 to WAN of the Telstra router.. Reboot everything and wait... it may take 4-5 minutes but your Voice light on the router will return.

I can now ring the service and the machine on the end says its ringing. Unfortunatley I was not able to test end to end RTP voice, but this should work. If not, then the Draytek will need look at changing SIP ALG and possible port forwarding on 5060-5061..

Happy hunting...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more