Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Gateway Pro / Netgear V7610 Router Stability Issues

HI - I have a (few) Netgear V7610 routers on a Telstra Business Essentials Broadband ADSL2+

Five are running V2.2.1.16 and one is running V2.2.1.14

Summary of issues
- Management interface disappears randomly requiring power cycle
- WiFi drops out every few days (again, power cycle to restore)
- VPN handshaking issues requiring reboot (not often - once or twice a week)
- DHCP randomly stops issuing IP Addresses
- Stops routing internet access but
- Will not fail over to 4GX backup dongle (or will do so once but then never again until factory reset and reconfigure)
- Router loses saved DSL settings (DSL username, password etc...) requiring manually reentering
- DNS issues where website addresses adopt router details (e.g. www.news.com.au will become www.news.com.au/V7610/adv_index.html) - spaces applied for post.
- Supplied SIMs are not activated on 'telstra.extranet' APN
- Drops one-in-ten ICMP requests to router LAN IP when IGMP is enabled
- All multitude of problems with IPV6
- At least once, the '2nd Failover to 4G' will not occur after a router reboot (i.e. when router is rebooted whilst DSL is down and was already on 4G failover)

- Ther router on V2.2.1.14 is stuck there and hangs on startup. It didn't complete its upgrade from V2.2.1.14 to V2.2.1.16 and now is not allowing the router to boot despite repeated Factory Reset attempts.

Many of these issues (with the exception of 4G failover) can be mitigated by rebooting the router daily which in fact becomes self-fulfulling as most of the above requires a reboot to fix anyway)

Our test site has multiple DSL services (Telstra and Optus), we 'lightened the load' of the V7610 by removing DHCP, DNS, VPN, IGMP, IPV6 and WiFi, with just a single host routed out through the Telstra DSL. We were able to extend the non-reboot time to 3-5 days.

Telstra's early response was to just send more routers. So far we have six of them here Serial Numbers
- 4P926C5V026DD
- 4P926B5V0049A
- 4P926B5604842
- 4P92715T00EC2
- 4P926B55004E9
- 4P926B5C00541

And they don't seem to want them back (won't send out reply-paid envelopes)

We have spent more than 50 hours performing various tests, much of which was directed / requested by Telstra 2nd or 3rd level techs and product groups.

Our present position is that Telstra will not troubleshoot any of the above issues (our time with them to date was focused on failover issues only) until the release of Firmware version V2.2.1.22 and Telstra will provide no information regarding
  a) the actual firmware release date (three weeks ago, said within next 'few weeks' in email from Complaints Resolution Coordinator; and
  b) details regarding what exactly will be fixed in Firmware version V2.2.1.22

It is possible that a range of the above stability (memory leak?) issues will not be resolved in the upcoming firmware release.

After now having removed the routers from both sites for the past week or so, we have installed one to be ready for a firmware update so will re-post once we have more information!

We have had various informal admissions that the processes are new and that the products (failover especially) were probably not ready for market but if our experience is anything to go by, the problems seem a little deeper.

Ours was not a particularly complex setup (5 hosts, one user, behind one site, probably 30 hosts and 3 users behind the other with single IPSec LAN-to-LAN VPN). Anyone else having problems to this extent?

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra Gateway Pro / Netgear V7610 Router Stability Issues

Hi PerthPhil

Sounds like you may neet to get in touch with our Telstra Platinum service as you havent been able to get a resolution through the normal Tech Support channels. If you are unsure as to what Telstra Platinum is check this out: What is Telstra Platinum?

For Telstra Platinum assistance you can contact Telstra Platinum on 13 7587 

Regards -

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the same issues as you.

The modem sometimes resets itself, when changing settings I have to power-cycle it, and my Galaxy S3 won't connect to it, but other deives will (My S3 connects to every other network I have tried to connect it to).

Did you ever get a solution or firmware update?

Highlighted

Hi Tommy - thanks for following up.  We have a complex complaints resolution coordinator who has been following up with the Device Lead from the products team and also Subject Matter Experts from BIG.  Whilst several issues were confirmed they would be resolved in firmware V2.2.1.22, there were 8-10 others which were not being targeted for that firmware update.

We eventually elected to return all six routers and Telstra assisted us with purchasing some Draytek routers which have now been in and running for two and six weeks respectively without issue.  They work great with the Telstra BEBB 4G backup service and fail over within seconds of a DSL outage every time (tested more than 100 times across a range of scenarios)

As we now have a working solution with Draytek Vigor2860ac and Vigor3220 (DHCP, DSL, WiFi, DDNS, WiFi, Client VPN, Site-to-Site VPN etc...) we were clear that we did not wish to participate further in diagnostics efforts to resolve the outstanding issues with the V7610s so the all went back yesterday (16/5).

We have subsequently been advised by colleagues on same hardware that they are still having hassles with upgraded firmware V2.2.1.22 so looks like we make the right decision.

Cheers

Phil

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update PethPhil, it is good to read that a solution has been found. If there is ever anything else we can assist with please don't hesitate to come back and post again.

-Dan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I've lost track of the time spent to various levels of Telstra Support over the Gateway 7610 modem. I had to repeat the story so many times before I got to someone who agreed that the 4G failover was not working for connectivity back into our system from staff outside or email servers.

Eventually we were shifted to telstra.extranet, but even now the DDNS cannot be configured on the modem. The setting for the Host Name is rejected as soon a full stop is part of the entry. I don't know of any url that doesn't have at least one full stop!

A week ago a technician agreed the same problem was happening on their test unit, but no one has come back to me. (And I am now being looked after by a specific complaints officer, who appears to work part time...)

I've since also discovered:

• The port forwarding editing area is corrupt - I can't delete or edit entries
  • When trying to edit or remove the DMZ zone, I get a pop up saying this can not be changed!
  • Management from a WAN port does not connect
  • Setting up a reservation on the LAN gives an error box saying the reservation must be on the same subnet. 10.0.0.139 and 10.0.0.1 look ok to me!

I'm glad to hear that Telstra has assisted a customer change to a different modem. That will be my direction (and advice to others) from here.

Highlighted

Have two of these at different localities.

One replaced so I have experienced 3 in all

One locality it works with wifi to many devices fails regularly the other limited devices generally stable.

Former locality ( has had two v7610 routers) v7610 wifi regularly drops out and has to be reboted. But the LAN connections usually but not always remain. Hoplessly unreliable.

2 printers

one wifi regularly fails to connect/loses connection reboting router sometimes reconnects rebooting printer never works.

Both printers (Fuji LAN and Epson Artisan wifi) often once a week loose all connection with all the computers (wifi and LAN) and have to reinstall software on the machines then they connect again.

My daughter has a new Samsung phone should conect to 5g and 2.4g. Because of overseas travel runs 2 sim cards so not purchaced in Aus.but specs are good for Aus. Cannot get the thing to connect to Netgear V7610 Router on either band but works fine on other routers. So had to set up an access point in th house to give her phone wifi connectivity. So house has 3 wifi bands 2X2.4 and one 4G (yes they are on different chanels)!

v7610 seems in need of new software.

Highlighted

I had the Pro installed in the morning. By evening no WiFi conncetivity. One port not working. Following reboot, no Internet at all. Computer cannot find the modem by typing IP. Called Telstra, no-one know how to and who can help. Disconnected the Pro and reconnected the previous modem. Internet and WiFi good. Very disappointing to read the posts above. No idea how my phone will work now.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Phil

I have the same issues you describe with the V7610. Nothing about this router works well or works at all.

I have 7 business sites and a total of 4 sites with this Terrible Router installed.

2 of my core sites have FTTP so I actually have 2 internet providers connected as I cannot trust this router for anything 

like Wifi VPN port forwarding etc. on these sites, the router is only used to deliver voice traffic.

So in effect, I'm paying for 2 internet connections at these core sites to ensure a reliable connection for a central VPN connection point and for offsite backups of the core business systems.

But the remainder of my sites are FTTN VDSL2 with only the V7610 in place so I need it to do VPN and not fail and

and not fail and lock up 5 times a week.

I would love to get some more info on who you spoke with at Telstra to get them on board with funding the replacement for the router.

I would also love to hear more about the Vigor2860ac as a replacement I agree it should be a pretty straightforward process of removing the V7610 after you have moved all the lines to the SPA8000 which i have already done.

It is my understanding that the SPA8000 uses a Telstra config URL on startup to get its config from telstra so it making the initial outbound connection and (Telstra have is mac address recorded) and they use that for AUTH.

So im assuming that you don't have to make any specific changes on the Draytek Router to get it going, simply remove the V7610 and replace it with the Vigor2860ac.

Your Comments and insight are most welcome

Regards

Stuart

Highlighted

Hey guys im already DREADING the thought of having this piece of garbage installed on the 20th. I've come to find out that modem wont handle a VPN and i need some other technicolour POS as well! so if my modem does go down, wait I mean WHEN it goes down ... telstra will have to troubleshoot TWO modems. I have the NETGEAR DEVG2020 as my everyday POS that telstra supplied and due to its well known wifi issues I installed a TP Link wireless router to handle my in store WIFI connections which has been much better.

As i had my nbn hardware installed yesterday and ive come to learn that i should keep the TP Link due to both the gateway pro AND the technicolour having poor wifi, im tempted to go 3rd party modem/wifi/router which can handle everything. I have a asus 68u router at home and its a beast, i would happily spend $300-$400 to avoid the problems you are having.

So, have you considered replacing the gateway PRO and does anyone know if its even at all possible?

Regards,

Nick

Highlighted

Nick 

I Believe its entirely Possible to replace the V7610 ... but these a few things you need to be clear on.

This answer is Telstra DOT SPECIFIC Both FTTP & FTTN and assumes you have a business phone system

connected to a Cisco SPA8000 device Telstra Calls these IAD devices.

Note: I have no experience with DOT handsets if you have DOT handsets this does not apply to you.

Note: Telstra won't support your router so select your router carefully I'm going to use Draytek routers in place of the V7610

You must move all your lines to the Telstra Suppled IAD best to have an SPA8000 unit (This is the 8 port version) that

(This is the 8 port version) that telstra supplies.

You move all your lines using the call conductor application and verify all phones & lines are working

Link to call conductor https://portal.digitalbusiness.telstra.com/

Once you have confirmed the lines are still working remove the Telstra router and replace it with your own and configure it.

The Cisco device will keep working because if makes an outbound connection on boot to Telstra's provisioning servers to get its config then it re-registers every 180 seconds.

So should not even need to do any specific port forwarding on your new router.

If you read the post from Phil he even suggests that Telstra paid for the Draytek Routers.

Note: I have not done this yet but it's what  I intend on doing because I have 4 of these Telstra V7610 routers and they are all rubbish everyone has similar problems none will work for more than a day or 2 without locking up dropping Wifif & VPN

This is a read show stopper so they have to be replaced.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You should only need to use one modem provided by us to access the internet, which would be a Netgear V7610, unless you choose to use your TP Link for the Wi-Fi connection.  

In theory, customers can use any BYO NBN modem unless they require the phone services which run through the modem.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Shellock

That all fine and well ... But the Telstra Router Supplied to DOT customers using the NBN via either FTTP or FTTN

is an absolute piece of rubbish. the current suppled router is the Back Telstra V7610 aka netgear device.

Your comments are not helpful ... as they are general in nature ... you need to be very specific about what product you

are describing.

I agree you need to use Telstra equipment to get support but the support is no existent ...

Telstra have had problems with the V7610 from day one and its my understanding that even are several years and several sets of firmware its still junk.

I should know i have 4 of these devices 2 are on FTTP and 2 are on FTTN all are running the currrent firmware.

these devices fail several times per week I have had to restart 2 devices today alone.

Symptoms are 

Web interface no longer responds

Wifi Dies

VPN dies

and sometimes calls die as well 

The only resolution is to restart the router on each occasion 

In all instances I have an SPA8000 IAD sitting behind the Telstra V7610 the SPA8000 is handling all the phone lines.

The SPA8000 then services my existing phone system with lines.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Disturbed2017 - With the information that you have provided regarding your experience, please contact us on 132 999  and let them know that you need to restart your modem in order to restore your service. This may require a technician to attend to push through the latest firmware version. Our Tech Support team will be able to review your service and confirm if this is likely to be a solution for you.

- Shelly

Highlighted

Shelly

You are way out of your depth

I'm on the phone with platinum support and after a very detailed explanation from me ... it appears that they are indeed going to assist me with the replacement of these Telstra supplied routers with a third party router of my choosing.

They are also going to assist me with any (remediation of the existing config as they call it) 

Bottom line there is clearly known issues with Telstra DOT Equipment otherwise they would not be progressing this with me.

BTW I'm not even a platinum support customer and they are still helping me

But I do have a total of 4 separate DOT installs at 4 different locations in a Mix of FTTP & FTTN.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update Disturbed2017. I appreciate you taking the time to provide this information.

- Shelly

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thats great that you have found a solution.

However, what options are there if you require a dedicated voice/fx port? Telstra forced us to transfer a separate analog service to be bundled with our new FTTN service, providing the V7610 router, combining what was our dedicated fax line with a new NBN FTTN connection.

We have experienced all the same issues as mentioned before, despite running modem in DMZ, and cannot get the 4g failover to work automatically. 

Smiley Sad

"Biggest is best" :/
Highlighted

Hi Shelly,

Could you provide the ADSL details required to get a BYO modem working on a DOT line?

I cannot get it working at all!

Regards,

Andrew
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AndrewAHC,

If you were going to be configuring an ADSL DOT connection that you do not need the phone lines connected through with a BYO modem then the configuration is just a DSL connection with using the username/password you would have got in the configuration email. If you are not sure of the authentication details then technical support can locate these.

- AlistairQWA

Highlighted

Gday

I havent been able to find where you can check or download the latest firmware for the V7610 off the Telstra site?

We have a modem thats been having some issues and want to make sure that the firmware is on the latest version before we deep dive with support.  The people on the phone didnt seem to want to worry about firmware.

Cheers

Paul

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Most recent firmware version for the 7610 is V2.2.1.22

Firmware updates used to have to be manually installed by DOT technicians but now they should be getting delivered OTA (Over the AIR) automatically. Last time i checked, 99% of 7610's are now using version 22

I am a Complex Customer Service Specialist, nominally working with most assurance products. However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Highlighted

Hi Phil

Any chance you could share your config for the 4G connection? I bought the 2680 but I cannot for the life of me get the 4G dongle that came with the gateway Pro to work. Thanks!
Highlighted

Heya there AnotherBen Smiley Happy

Sorry, I should have been clearer here.  The Huawei E8372D that comes with the package will NEVER work.  You will need to Purchase an E8372h-608 (looks near-on identical) from Telstra.

They are available online from Telstra at $39 here https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/telstra-pre-paid-4g-usb-wi-fi-plus  or are about $90 if you purchase one in a Telstra store (no idea why so much more).

Target also have them from time to time at $39 as well. You will need to use the SIM from your black E8372D (which is firmware locked to the 7610 router) and put it into your newly purchased (probably white) E8372h-608.

I put the white dongle into a PC to set it up (also turned off the WiFi on it, just for safety).  I then configure it as failover for the Telstra DSL port.  

To be clear, Telstra is VERY specific in their T's & C's about the 4G only being used as a backup so I wouldn't go using it as a primary at all.  Further, the Draytek Vigor2860 is so good, the failover happens in sub-10 seconds and you will probably never know that it has failed across (just faster internet).  The 4G is also probably private IP (and even if public, won't be static) so won't work with VPN but is an excellent backup and we have really relied on ours over winter with DSL outages and water in pits.

With the problems we were having, we also got Telstra to agree in writing that we were using the E8372h-608 and Draytek, configured for failover in a similar manner to that which the V7610 should work. It may pay to advise them you will be doing this and may also pay to have some form of alerting as to when failover occurs. We use PRTG which is free but takes a bit to set up.

Either way - we are now four months into swapover from V7610 to Draytek Vigor2860 and Vigor3220 (multi-wan) - both with the 4G failover and we haven't looked back.  They are brilliant! 

Let me know how you go!

Phil!

PS - USB WAN is

- Active Mode 'Failover' 

- WAN Failure

- ANy of WAN1

And under WAN | Internet Access

- 3G/4G USB as 'DHCP Mode' making sure WAN IP ranges don't conflict

- APN set to telstra.extranet, but I don't think this matters as config all done on 4G Dongle when setting it up on PC

- WAN Detection is 'ARP Detect' on both USB and DSL for rapid failover

Also did the firmware updates on both Draytek and E8372h-608 first to be safe

Highlighted

Let me chime in. I'll tell you the secrets I had to go thru to get the backup system to work, and you have to do it everytime the router decides to corrupt its config and require either restart or a quick reboot

First, some background on me. I have signed up to Telstra DOT bundle with the 7610 and 4G backup under my wifes ABN, as our residential ADSL is so so bad, it averages less than 2mbit at the best oftimes, due to congestion, bad lines. I found this plan with 4G backup and jumped straight on it. 

I am an IT professional, at first I was happy with the service, now I am at wits end. This modem is the most hopeless piece of garbage I have had the displeasure to work with, and I have been through many many modems (I can't think of one to compare how bad, maybe some of the lesser TP's). It is constantly losing it's config, the wireless will go off, well not off but it can't connect or tells me password is wrong. Sometimes fixed by quick reboot, but more often factory reset. 

Now the 4G backup. I use it day and night, TElstra hasn't said boo to me because they know I will drag them through the TIO and win. They are holding out to deliver me FTTN, on my disintegrating lines. Anyway, the amount of stuffery involved to get the backup to run is incredible, sometimes requiring multiple resets to get configured.

Heres how its done:

1. Make sure in the "mobile backup" scetion of modem, its set to telstra.EXTRAnet. Not internet, only EXTRAnet. 

2. You will not get the failover message from a PC internet browser 99% of the time, you need to connect the WiFi to a MOBILE PHONE brwoser, and then it will ask/say "sign in to network" which then prompts you with the Failover Wizard, where you say okay, and hopefully it connects.

3. If you are disconnecting the phone cable to force this backup, DO NOT DISCONNECT FROM MODEM, leave in modem and disconnect from wall. Otherwise it will detect this and won't prompt you to Failover.

Be warned it occasionally drops out as well, and requires doing this again. 

Absolute trash for a business product. The 4G in itself for me, avergae about 10Mbits (1.2MB). So not like I am living the dream.

Now let me blab a bit more. I have put in multiple complaints, had the Telstra tech tell me the lines are actually lightning affected (the one that visited my house) but not being replaced for FTTN. I have been losing sync speed since I got connected, now down to 16.5mbit, but my last complaint the tech just tells me its because congestion. But hre the thing:

I have worked as data cabler, and I am a system admin for a large tourist company. I try to tell them what the problem I am experiencing is, they treat me like some idiot who knows nothing and gives me blatantly garbage answers.

The modem is shot, my lines a fubared, the service has gotten ridiculous. When NBN arrives in November, I'll be dragging them through TIO, and moving my serivce elsewhere, AFTER I HAVE THEM FIX THE LINES. Those wheels arealready in motion.

Anyway, follow those instructions for your backup, should work. You won't need PIN in my experience. Just be prepared to reset the modem all the damn time. And don't bother setting up custom DNS or VPN, its a headache to reconfig all the time. 

Highlighted

Thanks Phil!

Highlighted
Level 8: Inspector

I'll have to join this queue for a Telstra funded migration from our V7610 modem(s) to the Draytek / Huawei solution, I think.

Our office now has a V7610 in preparation for the NBN migration (as does the boss' house) and we've already experienced most of the problems mentioned (UI down, WiFi down, VPN down). I don't hope out much hope it will be resolved.

With the DrayTek solution, do phone lines work well (DOT or otherwise)?

The boss is expecting working WiFi, working VPN between his home and office, working 4G failover, working phones, etc. You know, what we can have prior to he V7610/NBN.

Ben Helps
https://benhelps.me
Highlighted
Level 8: Inspector

Side note, our PRTG server reports about 30% uptime for the V7610 UI in the last 24 hours.

Ben Helps
https://benhelps.me
Highlighted

I have recently been connected to the NBN Small Business with one of these V7610 modems. As a result, my IT reliant business has been crippled.

I am having the same issues mentioned in this thread - Remote Management stopping, VPN stopping etc.

Not being able to bridge the modem has also completely wrecked a previously perfectly working infrastructure.

There are posts mentioning the absurd limitations of the V7610 that have thousands of views. One Telstra support person admitted that I needed to buy a 3rd party modem, but wouldn't offer any more help.

Telstra knows about these problems.

Netgear have other products that do not have these problems.

Surely Netgear must be concerned about their brand image?

I have spent days on the phone to the multiple support numbers resulting in going around in circles. On top of these technical issues, I have multiple other problems with undelivered services so I am now pursuing legal avenues to release me from the contract.

I digress...

Is anyone able to direct me to somewhere in Telstra that may help with getting a real business modem?

I don't care if I lose DOT functionality, I need my business back!

Highlighted

bin the v7610 save your sanity
Highlighted

thanks for the tip my v2610 now sits in rubbish bin my draytek doing a great job

Highlighted

using dratek and dongle as you are can you remote in  i can not cant find an open port to view my security camera or to rdp 

Highlighted

Pardon the late entry, I have a client who has 2.2.2.6 and the RDP ports can't remap correctly. 

I would replace this with another modem, but it has a Wireless handset which I gather is VOIP.

How can I get the firmware updated? 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

2.2.2.6 is the latest firmware version for the Telstra Gateway Pro. Have you tried returning to factory default and re-configuring?

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.

As the IT person for them, I don't know how the VOIP side works, don't want to mess up working system. We only had the credentials for internet connection. Essentially port forward mapping external port 1235 to internal 1234 does not work, yet external 1234 to internal 1234 does. We have a number of devices so need multiple ports.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I am assuming that you have assigned static IPs to each of the devices on the network and restarted the modem before configuring and testing the port forwards as described in the user guide for this modem?

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. Yes. They moved their site from another location. The Rainbow modem there worked fine, so I just copied the settings. Now it's like the firewall won't allow anything through. Thinking of getting another modem/router to test.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Firstly great post - I wish I had come across it about two months ago when signing up to DOT.

Can I add a few extra points to this in hope of aiding someone like myself in the future.
1. port forwards are restricted to 20
2. ip binding/reservation is restricted to 9
Compare this to the DrayTek as mentioned with is 300 and 40 respectively. These limitations are not documented anywhere in the UserGuide or interface - see section 5.4.

To this end I wasted around 2hrs on the phone concerning the issues mentioned in this article and my points with several -ve1 level techs. Points to note here are. 1. They can't received emails correspondence. 2 They can't use google. 3. They can't even search this forum. Yep thats tech support in 2017. I was trying to save time an get them up to speed with this article to achieve a DrayTek solution.

After this repeated experience I even tried the 137587 number as per TommyR's post. It became apparent very quickly that instead of the superior support, that I had infact been re routed back to the same -ve level technicians based on my phone number. The technician seemed to think it strange that I had a problem not getting who I had rang as directed by this post. Shelly's comments in this post is but a taste of the intellect.

Adding to the discussion here, I was told that port forwarding was not supported by Telstra and if configurations where added that this would void the devices warranty and was in my contract (wrong). When challenging this supposition by expanding the implication to changing default gateway password for the device and how not changing this from 'telstra' would be a security risk, the tech explained that was somehow different but couldn't explain why. When I then explained that port forwarding is also covered in section 5.4 of there user manual, the tech explained I just wasn't getting it.

So in short.
Use the no support service at your peril
Bin the Telstra Gateway Pro
Highlighted

There is also a limitation on the number of blocked websites.. I think it's 20 or something. This modem is terrible.
Telstra support is also one of the worst I've ever dealt with. I have had literally dozens of technicians come to fix an intermittent internet drop-out issue at my place. Still ongoing for over a year and an TIO complaint later... I'm very close to dropping Telstra and ADSL all-together.

Despite the dozens of techs... NOT A SINGLE ONE had read the case history before turning up to my place, yet my support representative at Telstra informed me that all technicians read the notes before being deployed... that is a lie though, because I ask the technicians when they turn up and not a single one reads the notes. I am always asked the exact same questions every single time.
Highlighted

I sent a very detailed description of the issues with the V7610 toy modem detailing why I needed it replaced with the Draytek. Nobody actually read the email, just saw the word replacement in the subject line and sent me another V7610! It seems Telstra will send out as many of these as you want, but not enter into any discussion about providing a proper business modem.

Another thing I've found is that the call center operators close issues as fixed even if you say "no". They say that it's another department's problem, so as far as they are concerned it's fixed and therefore closed - goodby!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@slo - Just to be clear, we do not offer or supply Draytek modems and modem replacements are swapped like for like. If you are wanting to use a BYO modem instead, you will need to contact Sales on 132 000 to discuss which alternate internet service that we can offer that would best suit your needs or submit a formal complaint by calling 132 000 and saying 'complaint'

The current firmware version for the Netgear v7610 is 2.2.2.6

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more