cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra GEN 2 Smart Modem LH1000, Remote Web access turned on after firmware update to 0.12.15r

Recently my modem was updated to to 0.12.15r. Noticed the Remote Web management was turned on. Has any one else noticed this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra GEN 2 Smart Modem LH1000, Remote Web access turned on after firmware update to 0.12.15r

Mine was still turned off - I only enable it if I am going to be away from home..  turned it on and it works as it used to..  turned it back off OK.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

Re: Telstra GEN 2 Smart Modem LH1000, Remote Web access turned on after firmware update to 0.12.15r

Mine was turned on with a different message to the normal "Remote Management function will be automatically disabled after Gateway reboots." It also had a random password. I usually set my own password. I was able to disable Remote Web Access but don't like the idea it was on without my knowing about it.

SteveW_52

Yeah, that's odd and a bit scary..  especially with the different password..   could someone have hacked in?  Are you positive it happened as part of the firmware update? Would that have been necessary for Telstra to do - I doubt it but it is suspicious..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - my Arcadyan on 0.12.15r came as Remote Management Disabled. Best Guess.

Those words which look official and the random password appear to me be related to a Remote Access TR069 session, perhaps performed on the modem by a Telstra Call Centre Agent. They must be able to access an incoming port to do remote diagnosis or programming which would require them to log in an authorised access code, which for Telstra security reasons, one would assume is generated per session so that the agent is restricted from misusing it in the future - from my understanding carrier modems have three levels of access - User, Support and Developer level. 

Did you have any recent engagement with Telstra for CLID or Game Optimiser on the Acradyan. I know that some customers who have provided their modem serial numbers to the G.O. support team have had their Game Optimiser enabled in background within the network and perhaps also in the modem(?).  Usually when a Call Centre Agent has accessed the modem in real time with the customer and activated a change, they ask the customer to reset the modem in order for the change to come into effect - I would think that would disconnect the remote access as well - which is what the wording on your screen was indicating.  

cf4

It is possible to enable remote web access by issuing TR069 commands but I doubt that Telstra support staff would use remote web access without informing the customer.

I did contact Telstra over the CLID issue so they might have accessed the modem but I doubt it. The incoming CLID fault is due to some corrupt coding on the phone settings on the server. Why changing modem's corrupts the settings I have yet to discover. Why changing modem's doesn't effect you CLID is another mystery as there are plenty of posts from people with the same problem.

The G.O, support team use the modem's serial number to update the Telstra app with correct modem's serial number. The app previously relied on modem's serial number recorded in the billing account. If the modem had been replaced due  to a fault or was bought directly from a store or second hand the billing account serial number was  different to the actual modem's number. I believe there has been IT improvement that now updates the app with the correct serial number. So there should be less reason to PM any more serial numbers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more