Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gen 2 Wifi booster

Answered

I have just purchased a Telstra Gen 2 Wifi booster. Currently have an NBN connection using a Telstra Netgear V7610 modem. I have tried to setup the booster and it will work when connected via ethernet cable, but will not connect via wifi. Telstra support lines currently not answering. Help please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gen 2 Wifi booster

Hi - If you are using the Telstra V7610 in a residential Broadband or NBN service which is not configured for an special Business Telstra DOT service, to minimise any remedial expense, you may wish to consider replacing the V7610 with one of two Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 models - I have seen them, new and unopened for $50, on eBay and Gumtree. That way you can install the Booster using the auto configure Ethernet cable process (5 mins) , then relocate it to the remote area. Arcadyan make the Booster but it should work fine on both models. 

If an extended LAN cable for connection between the Netgear and the Booster is feasible, you could keep the V7610 - the Ethernet cable will provide a superior backhaul link from the Booster to the V7610. 

Telstra should have done a better job in communicating the conditional compatibility for the Boosters instead of hiding it in the drop down FAQ section on the web page and Telstra Shop personnel should also be qualifying customers who wish to buy them in store. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The Telstra gen 2 booster only connects by WiFi to a Telstra Gen 2 or Gen 1.1 modem as these modem's have a built in control function.

The booster will only connect by Ethernet to other modem's at routers. If you need to locate booster at a remote location you will need to purchase two (One as controller connected to modem by Ethernet) or run a L,AN cable to  remote location.

Highlighted

Thanks for the info, would be nice if Telstra told you that when you purchased the booster

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - If you are using the Telstra V7610 in a residential Broadband or NBN service which is not configured for an special Business Telstra DOT service, to minimise any remedial expense, you may wish to consider replacing the V7610 with one of two Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 models - I have seen them, new and unopened for $50, on eBay and Gumtree. That way you can install the Booster using the auto configure Ethernet cable process (5 mins) , then relocate it to the remote area. Arcadyan make the Booster but it should work fine on both models. 

If an extended LAN cable for connection between the Netgear and the Booster is feasible, you could keep the V7610 - the Ethernet cable will provide a superior backhaul link from the Booster to the V7610. 

Telstra should have done a better job in communicating the conditional compatibility for the Boosters instead of hiding it in the drop down FAQ section on the web page and Telstra Shop personnel should also be qualifying customers who wish to buy them in store. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Telstra Telstra - ***warning - please read***

The Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster 2.0 should be the perfect solution for eliminating Wi-Fi black-holes and dead spots. I purchased one and at the time I carefully interegated the Telstra rep on the phone about this unit's compatibility with Telstra modems. The Telstra rep put me on hold and I was told that I required the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, as I had the first incarnation of the Telstra modem I was compelled to purchase the Gen 2 (which I did).

When I received my new modem I set it up and installed everything without a problem. I then tried to set up the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster 2.0 - but it failed every time. I spent hours on the phone to Telstra tech support and the tech said I must have a faulty unit. They said after much testing that they would send another Booster. Whilst waiting for the new Booster to arrive I took the one I had to my Mum's house - it installed and linked and worked perfectly the first time.

The replacement unit arrived today and as suspected it too failed. I have discovered there are two manufacturers of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.  I have correctly concluded that the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster 2.0 only works with the Modem manufactured by Arcadyan and they do not work with the one manufactured by Technicolor which is the maker of my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. Externally and for Telstra’s marking purposes both units look exactly the same.

I cannot be bothered to spend another two hours on the phone to these idiots and more time fixing the bill …. In fact I should invoice them for confirming this enormous issue on their hands.

Highlighted

The Gen 2 Smart WiFi Booster does work with the Technicolor Gem 1.1 and Gen 2 modem's with the latest firmware. The Technicolor Gen 2 modem requires firmware version 18.1.c.0347-950-RC or later. The firmware version is displayed on LHS of modem's log in page. The modem should automatically update to latest firmware which is 18.1.c.0347-950-RC when first connected to internet. It sometimes take three reboots for the update as all preceding updates have to be installed.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra phone Tech support categorically told me that firmwar has nothing to do with it.

Highlighted

Your luck Telestra support is so badly trained as you now have two Smart Gen 2 boosters for the price of one.

Highlighted

Hi,

I tried to do the same thing but after being online for 2 hours and speaking to a Telstra team member you can’t connect a Gen 2 booster.   Only suggestion is to cancel your business plan and it works well with a residential white modem. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more