Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra lies about 4g speed on their smart modem

Answered
4g WiFi speeds on smart modem? Is 10x slower than actual 4g on both my telstra phones on different accounts considered 4g?

Don't lie to your customers and false advertise your products. It seems as though you've limited the 4g data speeds on the sim you provided unless the smart modem really does just have a terrible antenna.

Anyone else get told that it would be 4g speed when you receive it during black outs or as you wait for the connection to be set up?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra lies about 4g speed on their smart modem

It is clearly mentioned that the 4G backup speed is limited to 6/1 Mbps under things you need to know at the bottom of this page.
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/modem

It is also mentioned on the smart modem faq link on the plan details page
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Your 4G may have been shaped to 256kbps if it has been active too long (it has a GB limit).
If you call 1800 834 273 and ask the consultant to submit the webform to get it unshaped, then it should be back up and running again fairly quickly.

It's got the limit in place to stop people from abusing the 4G connection (eg if they try to use it like a mobile broadband device and take it with them while travelling).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

The backup speed is shapped to 6/1
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It is clearly mentioned that the 4G backup speed is limited to 6/1 Mbps under things you need to know at the bottom of this page.
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/modem

It is also mentioned on the smart modem faq link on the plan details page
https://www.telstra.com.au/internet

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I don't know what speed it is because it's so slow it wont even complete a speed test. What's the point of it if the service is unusable? I agree with you. Rubbish

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Your 4G may have been shaped to 256kbps if it has been active too long (it has a GB limit).
If you call 1800 834 273 and ask the consultant to submit the webform to get it unshaped, then it should be back up and running again fairly quickly.

It's got the limit in place to stop people from abusing the 4G connection (eg if they try to use it like a mobile broadband device and take it with them while travelling).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more