CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

TELSTRA NBN

I am presently using Telstra Cable for Internet.  I do not receive a Telstra mobile signal and am therefore reluctant to move to Telstra NBN as the backup mobile broadband SIM card will not work.  Do Telstra have a solution for me ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: TELSTRA NBN

Do your mobiles phone with Telstra receive a 4g signal inside your house/unit?

Moving the modem closer to a window will improve the 4g signal avaliable to mobile devices. You may want to move the modem close to a window if possible when its installed.

In saying that the vast majority of the time the modem will run off the NBN. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Most people do not have a problem when they migrate to the NBN. It is a very small percentage that do. Note that when you migrate, you will be on the 50/20 Mbps speed tier unless you decide to later add on the $30 per month Speed Boost (can't be done until after you are connected and speeds confirmed).

As far as a backup goes, if you don't receive a Telstra Mobile Signal, then you are correct, the LTE Backup will not work (so you would be in the same situation that you are now).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective
Level 11: Detective

Eventually the cable will just be shut off, theres nothing Telstra can do about that so you'll have to move onto NBN at some point regardless. Best bet is have a chat with the Adelaide disconnections team,explain your concerns, at least then you'll get an above average deal when the time to move over comes.

If you really want telstra mobile you can get an external antennae, however this can cost upwards of $1000 dollar.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

@343GuiltySpark wrote:

Do your mobiles phone with Telstra receive a 4g signal inside your house/unit?

Moving the modem closer to a window will improve the 4g signal avaliable to mobile devices. You may want to move the modem close to a window if possible when its installed.

In saying that the vast majority of the time the modem will run off the NBN. 

No Telstra mobile signal, only signal in middle of street and I don't think this is a good spot to place your modem.  No issues with Optus signals, so Telstra not providing a similar service.  From what I here NBN signal drop out regularly and I will have no back up

Highlighted

In that case you'd need to look at installing a mobile signal booster to improve the mobile signal in your premise.

Though in the long run though NBN is stable most of the time and if you have new mobiles the can use WiFi calling in the absence of mobile reception. Installing a mobile booster just for the backup isn't really worth it in my opinion. The mobile backup is capped at 6mbps down and 1mbps up and takes 2-5 mins to take over if the NBN disconnects and stays disconnected. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Telstra provide repeaters for a cost of about $1600 installed (city/suburbs). With an external antenna, you may receive sufficient signal for the repeater to retransmit.

If you are prepared to spend about $1600 approximately, the Telstra Go Stationary repeater is the best one.

https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/network-coverage-extension-devices

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more