Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Booster Gen2 slow and orange light

Answered

I received 2 smart boosters today, and one works perfectly fine on a separate level of the house, through a brick wall and all.

The second one, however, keeps going solid blue then solid orange for a few minutes before changing back to solid blue for a few minutes, back and forth. It seems the more running and more devices using the internet in that area of the house (two laptops in that area, used for entertainment and schoolwork, and sometimes a phone being used), makes it change to orange again. If the booster is moved further away from the actual booster, across the room it is in, it goes orange more often too, although only being about 2 meters away from where it is right now. I thought the boosters were supposed to provide "wall-to-wall coverage"? 

Another question, am I able to connect the booster via a LAN cable to a device? Will this provide any extra benefits? (The booster would have to be further away from where it is now, on the other side of the room as stated above, for me to be able to do this). 

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Booster Gen2 slow and orange light

5GHZ Channel - Channel set to 149 (36 may work, make sure it is not DFS), Output power to 100%. 
Credit - cf4

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 24: Supreme Being

You can connect a device to the booster by LAN cable but I don't think will achieve any benefit by doing this. From your description it sounds like the second booster my be switching from being connected directly to modem to (Orange light) to connecting via the first booster (blue light). This might sound counter but you could try turning down the modem's 5 GHz out power. It might also help if you selected a fixed no DFS 5 GHz WiFi channel in the modem. 

Light on booster now going red, then flashing blue and purple and going back to orange, then going back to red and repeating cycle. 

Try resetting 2nd booster and then pairing with first booster using WPS button on the two boosters.

The second booster is closer to the modem than the first one. Will this make a difference to what you said to do?

Yes that does make a difference. If you swap the locations of the boosters does the problem follow the booster or  does the first booster now have the problem and second booster works OK.

The issue now sits with the first modem (in the place of the second one).

It could be a WiFi device in that location causing interference. Some devices such as Smart TVs, chromecast devices and miracast devices broadcast a hidden WiFi network. Also PCs that have cast to or hotspot enabled with broadcast a WiFi network.

Suggest you install the Matt Hafner WiFi scanner app on a laptop or a WiFi scanner  app on a Android phone or Tablet and check if there are any WiFi networks broadcasting on the same 5GHz WiFi channel in the same location as the modem. The modem will broadcast at least two WiFi networks on the same channel, the normal network and one that is hidden. It might also broadcast Fon and Telstra Air), but there should not be any others.

There are a few other networks, beginning with "***".

What should I do to deal with or remove these?

(They are under my network in "Access Points")

Find out what device is generating the network by turning devices off. Once the device is found and the problem with booster has stopped occurring. Check the devices settings to see if the hidden network can be turned off.

Don't really have the ability to turn all devices in my home off. 

There is one device called "<hidden>" but I have no idea what that could be. It is taking up basically all the 2.4 ghz. 

The 2.4 GHz device should not effect the booster because the boosters use the 5 GHz WiFi band for receiving and sending data from and to the modem.

Have you tried changing 5 GHz WiFi channel on the modem? (Use a non DFS channel)

Accepted Solution

5GHZ Channel - Channel set to 149 (36 may work, make sure it is not DFS), Output power to 100%. 
Credit - cf4

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more