amnesiacbear
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra smart gateway randomly restarts (seriously at the end of my patience ... and contract)

I am seriously at the end of my patience with Telstra app . I work in a technical role in IT, so I can appreciate how difficult it can be but their lack of ability to understand is about to drive me up the wall. I say this so that my obvious frustration is hopefully understandable. 

My Telstra gateway device randomly reboots itself. When it does it makes an audible 'click' sound. The restart can be multiple times a day, or it can be a few days in between restarts. 

When it restarts, the power light on the device goes purple, all other lights (front and top) go off. Lights start coming back on as the device. No other device restarts, including the NBN modem.

The devices connected physically into the modem have all been turned off and the reboots still happen so that didn't help. 

I logged a call with Telstra via the app on early May 2021, got absolutely nowhere, and relogged it 1st June. Since then, it has been escalated to another team and then onto NBN Co, where apparently it was "fixed". I went out of town for a few days, came back yesterday and today it (gateway) restarted. 

I am quite honestly frustrated with questions such as "can you connect your laptop directly into the modem and do a google search" (I am online at the moment, the restart happened an hour ago now), "are you currently in a call" (no and I wasn't when it rebooted), "can we run through some troubleshooting" (the internet is working fine at the moment), "there haven't been any network drops" (no, because it is the gateway that is at issue, not the modem). 

In the last escalation (when it went to NBN Co), I was told that if that didn't fix it, they would maybe send out a new Telstra gateway. now I've started at the bottom of the investigation again, and I seriously do not have the patience to answer the inane questions once more. 

How do I get out of this endless support loop via the Telstra app? Or how do I get Telstra support to actually hear (as in listen to) me? To  send me out a new modem?

They've now put my service into "monitoring" for 24 hours. Again. 3rd time. At which point they'll again tell me they didn't detect any drops. 

Please? Anyone? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra smart gateway randomly restarts (seriously at the end of my patience ... and contract)

You don't provide details of the modem you have..  but if it is a smart modem 2, it will have 4G backup available..  disconnect the cable from the NBN modem (NTD?) and wait a few minutes for the Smart Modem to switch into 4G backup mode (blue light on the front)..  leave it in that mode for a while, to see whether or not it continues to fail..

If you want to use the internet service, you will need to log in to the modem (ask for more details on doing this if you need to), and on the LTE tab, change the PDP setting to ipv4v6..then save the setting..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
amnesiacbear

Re: Telstra smart gateway randomly restarts (seriously at the end of my patience ... and contract)

Oops sorry, I did forget to specify the modem details.

And thanks for the good testing suggestion, I'll do that after the next 24 hour monitoring period finishes. 

Cheers

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You description portrays you having a “Telstra gateway device” and “NBN modem”. Please provide model details for both.

amnesiacbear

Sure, the Telstra "smart gateway" is model # DJA0230. The NBN device is Arris CM8200. Is that enough?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

In the past few weeks  have the same problem with my DJA0230 modem on a FTTN connection. I replaced the modem with a LH1000 and this modem does not randomly reboot.

amnesiacbear

Thanks cf4, that is very interesting.

Did you have to buy the new modem yourself or did Telstra provide it? 

SteveW_52

If you can work with them to prove the modem is faulty, Telstra will replace it..

But depending where you are, secondhand modems or even new, still sealed ones can be bought from Gumtree or FaceBook Marketplace at low cost or, if you are as lucky as I have been these last couple of weeks, even free!

The Telstra process and replacement can take a few days..  so if it is quicker then the secondhand market is a good option in the the interim..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

I had previously purchased the modem second hand before this fault occurred. I don't think the modem itself is faulty.  I can't see it being a NBN fault but something Telstra has changed on there network that is causing modem to randomly reboot. It would be interesting to see if modem still randomly reboots when on 4G backup.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more