Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

telstra smart gen 2 dropping out

we have a telstra smart modem 2 and it drops out and loses connection especially when everyone is home (3 people, with 5 or 6 devices maximum). the light will go from green to a white colour and all devices will drop out, it will remain like this from 30s to up to 10mins, then it goes red and and eventually turns back green and is then ok. this can happen every half hour if or so if we are all using it. we have contacted telstra multiple times and they say there is no issue with the line or the modem. i think the amount of devices is certainly a factor but 5 or 6 devices should be enough to crash the modem should it?

at this point its just really frustrating and telstra don't seem to have any ideas, so looking for any possible solutions. thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: telstra smart gen 2 dropping out

Which version of the smart modem do you have and what is it firmware version? There are two versions of the smart modem. The Technicolor version has holes on the side panels. The Arcadyan version doesn't (See image below). The firmware version is displayed on the LHS of the log in page.

Highlighted

we have the one with holes on the side but it doesn't say technicolor on it and i cant see the details on the firmware. 

Highlighted

The writing was added to the image, there is no writing on the side of the modem.

To check the firmware open a Web browser on a device connected to the modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 the modems log in page will load and the firmware no is located on left hand side of the log in page.

There might be one particular device causing modem to reboot. On the previous version of the modem DJA0230 I found that every time I connected a Foxtel Now box to the modem the modem would reboot with 60 minutes of the Foxtel now box being connected. 

Highlighted

Firmware Number
18.1.c.0384-950-RB
Modem Make Model
Technicolor DJA0231
thats interesting we also have a foxtel box connected to the wifi but i havent noticed that being the issue. 
Highlighted

Your modem has latest firmware so it is not a firmware issue.

The way I stopped the drop outs on my modem when Foxtel Now box was connected was to Turn Cyclic Delay Diversity on.

To turn Cyclic Delay diversity on log into the modem, go to Advanced Settings, go to WiFi, on the 2.4GHz band scroll down to Cyclic Delay Diversity and select On from drop down list and save settings. Repeat for the 5 GHz band. Also make sure short guard interval is on for both bands.

Highlighted

ok thank you ill give that a go!

Highlighted

unfortunately that didnt work, the modem still managed to cut out and it also seemed to slow the wifi speed down whilst i had those settings set that way. thank you for the suggestion though, appreciate the assistance. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more