Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Telstra Smart Modem 2 suggestion

Answered

Hi I recently had a problem with our Foxtel iQ4 set top box, using Netflix APP.

The whole box works great & so does Netflix viewed via the iQ4 normally.

After great success with the Netflix APP for 5.5 month it started playing up just over 2 weeks ago. Various error messages & content not always accessible etc. No consistency with those messages & error support.

Netflix complained at one time about our Internet connection. I tested our I/Net & speed was 92mbps at the time, as we have NBN FTTP since October 2015 with Speed boost paid for as well.

So I contacted Foxtel, which is not easy these days, especially after 6pm. Anyway I used Facebook Private Messaging & did get some help, albeit slow help but better than their non working text messaging help. Their Community site has also been destroyed, so I don't use that any longer.

We could still do everything else with our iQ4 set top box & we have Satellite Reception for Foxtel.  So I thought I better check that the iQ4 is showing all the picture Icons because I know they are delivered over the Internet. Then I noticed on a day when we had problems, in that the picture Icons were mostly missing.

So now I had something to work with because the missing Icons indicate there was indeed something amiss with our Internet which is NBN FTTP supplied via TELSTRA with a speed boost plan. That is then connected via WiFi to the iQ4.

So I connected my HP Notebook to the Smart Modem and connected to the Advanced part of the Menu within that Smart Modem. Diving deeper into the WiFi area of the part of the Modem it showed that The Foxtel iQ4 & 2 other units were connected via 5GHz WiFi channel. I played with it & managed to toggle it back to 2.4 GHz. After that the problems with the iQ4 disappeared & all was good again.

In our house the iQ4 is located 19m away from the computer room with the Smart Modem2 and we have a solid brick house. So 5 GHz is unsuitable and it must be 2.4GHz for the iQ4 connected via Wi-Fi in our lounge.

So my whole point and question is:

Can the frequency of a channel used from the Smart Modem be locked as well as easy to select in the Advanced part of the Modem software?  To make it much easier for customers to set it and lock it to 2.4GHz if that is what they need for their location? Accidental frequency switches can cause havoc or serious problems for customers.

Apart from that I love the Smart Modem 2 TELSTRA supply. One feature I found out about recently by accident - due to workers damaging a feeder to our street as they installed new services to 2 new houses next to our house. NBN was cut and the Smart Modem LED turned blue. Looked in the manual and it meant that the SIM card inside the Smart Modem, connected our house to the Mobile Telstra Internet whilst the NBN was down.

When I tested it via Speedtest, it showed that it worked OK at 6mbps. I was delighted that we still have internet even when the NBN is down for whatever reason. It was the first time we had that experience and full credit to the designers of that Modem with that superb feature.

To sum up, can my suggestion about easier frequency selection for either 2.4GHz or 5GHz be added to the Smart Modem? It would be a welcome addition as a software update & in future models imho.

Not every customer can do the diagnostics and fiddling required to do this right now. 

Apart from that the Smart Modem 2 by TELSTRA is the best unit I have ever had and used. It makes Internet usage very reliably as well as always available.

Wolf. Horn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem 2 suggestion

There must have been a spot of dirt on my screen I read the 19 M as 1.9 Meters. At 19 Meters the modem should have automatically switched the connection to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band. Why that did not occur could be fault with your modem or the modems firmware.

There are instructions for changing the SSID of the modem's WiFi in section 21 of the documents attached to these posts. The images show the location of the band steering setting.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Band steering can be disabled in the modem which will add -5G to the WiFi SSID of the modem's 5 GHz band. With Band steering disabled the modem now has two WiFi SSIDs, the normal SSID (2.4 GHz)  and the normal SSID with -5G added (5GHz) which makes it easy to connect to a particular WiFi band.

By default band steering is enabled to make it simpler for the user to connect to modem. Devices should automatically connect to the WiFi band that gives the best performance.

I have a Foxtel now box located about 6 meters from the modem and separated by two brick walls that has no problem connecting to the 5 GHz band in fact I have forced it on to the 5 GHz band by disabling band steering and only setting it up for with the SSID with -5G added.

There might be another one of your devices connected to the 5GHz WiFi band that is causing the problem.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

cf4 - it would be helpful  if you explained how this disabling of Band steering  works and how you actually do it. 

My distance between is 19m and the 5GHz band is best& Faster  for short distances but not so good for 19m like our house with 4 single brick walls between source and destination.

Thankyou for your reply :-)

I would need help with how to turn band steering off. Any detailed help would be much appreciated - thank you in advance :-)

Also since 2.4GHz band is working rock solid with all devices I want to use that frequency band and lock onto it.

We have 2 new neighbours who had NBN connected recently - as Urban renewal is increasing housing density - so trying to persist with the 5GHz is not a desirable option for me in any way as part of the problem could be interference that I never had before  :-)

Wolf.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

There must have been a spot of dirt on my screen I read the 19 M as 1.9 Meters. At 19 Meters the modem should have automatically switched the connection to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band. Why that did not occur could be fault with your modem or the modems firmware.

There are instructions for changing the SSID of the modem's WiFi in section 21 of the documents attached to these posts. The images show the location of the band steering setting.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more