Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem and D-Link DIR-1960 Mesh Router

Answered

Newbie here, so please don't grill me.
I am thinking of coming over to Telstra NBN and need to know if my D-Link DIR-1960 router will work with the Telstra Smart Modem without the modem having to be in bridge mode, which usually turns off wifi and voip on the modem.
This is the reason I am leaving TPG as their modem router (HG658c) just won't work with the DIR-1960 unless the router is factory reset and not setup, which brings up network security warnings on connected devices. An ethernet cable from the modem router in the living room goes to the home office and is in the WAN port on the DIR-1960.

If I go into the router web page it automatically runs the setup wizard which somehow loses the incoming internet connection to the WAN port. I think this is because the modem is IP 192.168.1.1 and the router is IP 192.168.0.1. It also goes into a loop of asking for a login and throwing me out before any settings can be changed.

The wireless signal strength is brilliant but not much use without internet and it doesn't matter if I give the router a fixed IP or not, it only works again after a factory reset.

If I'm going to have the same problem with the Smart Modem, I will have to find a compatible mesh system, as the modem position in the living room has to transmit through up to 4 block walls to reach the bedrooms and nothing gets through with just the basics and there is no access to the roof space for ethernet cabling.

Sorry this is so long-winded but I want to have everything ready for the changeover.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem and D-Link DIR-1960 Mesh Router

Your D-Link should work with the HG658c. Have you tried setting it up with the WAN cable initially? Run the set up wizard and once set up wizard has finished set up for Dynamic IP as per page 48 of the manual then connect WAN cable.

Host name blank

DNS leave blank will automatically fill when WAN connected.

MTU default setting

MAC default setting.

If you can't get the D-Link working with the HG658c then you will have trouble getting it to work with Telstra modem router or any other modem routers.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Although the is standard for controllers and mesh satellites in practice for best results it is best to use mesh satellites and mesh routers made by the same company. The Telstra Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster will only work properly with Telstra Smart Modems either Gen 1 or 2. They will work with other routers but only if connected to router by WAN cable.

In your case instead of the DIR-1960 it would have been better to by a router that also has a WiFi access point mode. This avoids having two separate networks. The DIR-1960 should still work but you will have two separate networks. It might be faulty. I would take it back and try and get my money back.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

It depends on what type of NBN connection you have weather there is going to be compatibility problems. If your connections is not FTTN or FTTB you could connect the D-Link DIR-1960 directly to the NBN NTD and the Smart modem to a LAN port on the D-Link DIR-1960.

If you have a FTTN or FTTB connection the Telstra modem will need to be bridged which will result in lose of phone and 4G backup.

For all types of NBN connections the Smart modem's WiFi should be turned off as both the .D-Link and Smart modem are Mesh Controllers. You should not use two controllers on the same network.

The D-Link DIR-1960 should be set to Dynamic IP page 48 of Manual

Change either the D-Link or the Smart Modem's LAN IP so that they don't have share the same subset (192.168.0.xx). Example change either D-Link or Smart modem to 192.168.178.1.

You might have to change the SIP ALG settings (Page 89 of manual) for phone service to work.

In order for phone to work the Telstra modem should be connected directly to NBN overnight to allow Firmware updates and also VOIP service to be configured in modem.

If your connection is FTTN or FTTB you could use a Telstra Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster. These cost $218 but if one does not supply adequate WiFi coverage Telstra will supply another three at no extra cost. There is a thirty day money back guarantee if not satisfied with coverage.

Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 from Telstra

Accepted Solution

Your D-Link should work with the HG658c. Have you tried setting it up with the WAN cable initially? Run the set up wizard and once set up wizard has finished set up for Dynamic IP as per page 48 of the manual then connect WAN cable.

Host name blank

DNS leave blank will automatically fill when WAN connected.

MTU default setting

MAC default setting.

If you can't get the D-Link working with the HG658c then you will have trouble getting it to work with Telstra modem router or any other modem routers.

Thanks CF4, I thought that might be the case.

It is a FTTN connection, so a modem is definitely required. 

I got the DIR-1960 to overcome the loss of signal between the lounge and bedrooms, one of which is the office with NAS and network printer.

I have used the setup methods you have suggested with no luck, so a booster might be the way to go.

Also, if the Smart Modem is a mesh controller, it should work with mesh satellites, correct? Maybe that is where I have gone wrong, getting a mesh router instead of satellites.

Accepted Solution

Although the is standard for controllers and mesh satellites in practice for best results it is best to use mesh satellites and mesh routers made by the same company. The Telstra Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster will only work properly with Telstra Smart Modems either Gen 1 or 2. They will work with other routers but only if connected to router by WAN cable.

In your case instead of the DIR-1960 it would have been better to by a router that also has a WiFi access point mode. This avoids having two separate networks. The DIR-1960 should still work but you will have two separate networks. It might be faulty. I would take it back and try and get my money back.

Thanks mate. I was starting to think it might be faulty.

I'll sign up for Telstra with a booster tonight.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more