Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra smart modem blue light

Answered

My modem light has been blue since march 24 and now I can barely do anything at all. I am currently typing this message using internet from a different provider from my phone. The speed test showed 0.3! 

Now what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra smart modem blue light

Hi,

Sometimes after an outage, our Smart Modem remains on blue too.  I find unplugging the power to the NBN box (if you have the NBN black box as well) waiting a minute and then plugging it back and waiting for the NBN box to cycle through all the lights, will then trigger the Smart Modem to switch back to green.

Cheers,

-Tina

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - you need to contact Telstra - it should be Green when ON. Are you waiting for an NBN Activation at home or has your NBN network has been off air for nearly a month due to a fault? The modem is in backup 4G mode - in that mode, it is limited to 6 Mbps down/1Mbps up maximum, capped to 10 GB of downloads consumption and after that it drops to 256 kbps down/? up. The cap can be removed if you are still waiting for activation or a unresolved fault. 

Highlighted

Must have been off due to a fault. I have had NBN for a year. I have tried the online troubleshooting and it said no fault which is why i had let it go as the wait times on the phone are huge. 

Will try and call them later I guess. Thanks

Highlighted

Won't hurt to do a Factory Reset of modem in case it helps. Insert paperclip into Reset hole for 10 seconds with power ON. Any customised settings would need to be reentered.  

Highlighted

Really not technical lol so not sure what the custom settings are

Highlighted

You're good to go then - If you haven't done any custom settings, like change your log-in to the modem password or Wi-Fi Network Broadcast names shown on the modem's printed label on the base underneath, then the modem is set to Default and should boot up in Default mode - no changes required. 

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Hi,

Sometimes after an outage, our Smart Modem remains on blue too.  I find unplugging the power to the NBN box (if you have the NBN black box as well) waiting a minute and then plugging it back and waiting for the NBN box to cycle through all the lights, will then trigger the Smart Modem to switch back to green.

Cheers,

-Tina

View solution in original post

Highlighted

i have the same problem but unplugging makes no difference and cant get through to any technical support...WHY? because there is no cable/DSL/NBN service so it has no option to go Blue ( back up ) mode but why the speeds are rubbish i cant work out.

What are we paying for?

Highlighted

Yes but at the moment there is no way to contact Telstra to have the cap removed. I've been trying for days. The Telstra App goes around in circles, opens a web page, then says Open the Telstra App, then I do, and it opens a web page which wants to open the Telstra App.

Is there any solid advice on how to get in contact with anyone to stop shaping a faulty connection?

Highlighted

Hi -  are you using the 24/7 Telstra App which has recently been replaced by the My Telstra App? Apparently in the new one, there is a 'Get Help'  link there which allows you to outline a Message of your circumstances and you are suppose to receive a response at a later time. Unlike Chat , which is  temporarily limited or not available due to the Corona Virus situation, which is a live on line session between two parties ( causes two finger typists such as myself some stress) using the Messaging facility allows you to compile a notice carefully without haste, then send and get a response back hopefully with with a reference code within a targeted timeframe. I have not used the service myself, just read about its release on the forum. 

I am hoping it is not the one you have posted above and the new App works. Let us know how you go.   

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more