Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Connection Limit

Ive been advised by Telstra that there is an 8 device connection limit to our New Telstra Smart home modem.  I find this unbelievable but it appears to be the case.  It also appears that when I try to use wifi extenders or additionaly routers on our home network these devices add onto the connection limit imposed by Telstra.  The technical officer I spoke with over the phone argued with me that having 8 devices connected causes conjestion on the network and is what causes speeds to slow.  However Ive proven this to be a nonsense because even though devices are downloading anything my entire network locks up once it reaches the connection limit.

What is the situation here and can Telstra fix this problem with the new modem they supplied??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Connection Limit

There is no connection limit. If you have a link with a speed of 12 Mbps you want be able to stream HD video on more than two devices. I have had more than 16 devices connected to my modem and I have seen post were people have over 24 devices connected.

What model modem do you have and what is its firmware version? The Model and firmware version is on the left hand side of the gen 2 modem's log in page?

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Connection Limit

Device limit isn't 8, try disabling band steering on your modem and see how it goes
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more