Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Ethernet Connection

Answered

I have just installed a Telstra Smart Modem with an NBN FTTC interface. 

It connected fine and I used it for a day without modification.  I then connected an Apple Mac to a LAN port and opened the Modem Settings.  I changed the name and passcode of the WiFi and saved the changes.

When I closed the page, my computer said "No longer connected to the Internet" although my computer was still connected to the LAN.

The WiFi works properly with the new Name and Pass Code.  However no LAN connections work and all LAN lights are dark.  I have power restarted the modem and swapped LAN connections around.  Still no LAN access.

Any help out there?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Ethernet Connection

Factory reseting the modem will only reset any custom settings. The modem will automatically connect to NBN after factory reset.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried connecting two LAN ports together using a LAN cable. The lights should turn green if the LAN ports are Okay/

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

What model is the modem (DJA0230, DJA0231 or LH1000)? Can you still log into modem using a LAN connection?

Highlighted

The Model Name on the plate is "DJA231"

I used an ethernet connection to change the WiFi address.  When I saved the WiFi change the modem stopped all traffic on the LAN Ethernet connections and the computer would no longer connect to the modem or internet. All LAN connections fail with the LAN lights on the modem dark.

Thanks,

Talamont

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi - Unusal behaviour. Changing the Wi-Fi name and Network Key would bring up that error on your PC as it has been disconnected from the Telstra Default Wi-Fi SSID and Password and would need to reconnect to the new SSID. There are no Lights on the DJA0231 LAN ports - do you mean the Devices Page that shows your Ethernet and Wireless devices? Wouldn't hurt to Factory Reset the modem from within the Modem tile screen to see if it resuscitates the LAN ports, otherwise it could just be a co-incidence and the modem's LAN controller became faulty. My son had the same experience with an very early Arcadyan version modem 18 months ago and it was replaced by Telstra with a DJA0231.   

Is the firmware at latest version 18.1.c 514-950 RB - also shown within the Modem tile.

Highlighted

Just to check if it is the Mac or the modem that is faulty have you tried connecting two LAN ports together using a a LAN cable. If the LAN ports are OK the lights for the LAN ports at Advanced > Diagnostics > Network should turn green.

Highlighted

The Mac connected to an ethernet OK then I changed the wifi name and code.  So the Mac seems fine.  The Modem Ethernet port died when I saved the wireless settings.

I opened the modem on line.  The LAN ports all say no connection and the lights against each ethernet port are all dark

Reluctant to reset the modem but maybe I have no choice.

Talamont

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Factory reseting the modem will only reset any custom settings. The modem will automatically connect to NBN after factory reset.

Highlighted

I changed the wifi settings using a LAN cable and that should not have stopped when I changed WiFi settings.  Now, connected to the diagnostic page by WiFi the devices show the WAN port is OK but the Ethernet ports all say no connection.  The lights on the modem, adjacent to each LAN port, are dark.  Reluctant to reset modem in case the problem is exacerbated and may be shut out of modem login but probably the next step.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried connecting two LAN ports together using a LAN cable. The lights should turn green if the LAN ports are Okay/

Highlighted

The problem was that LAN connections died.  Reset modem with pin and changed WIFI  over wireless link and LANs now work.

Highlighted

Reset modem with pin.  Changed wifi name over wifi. LANs now work.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more