Tontiss
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem for home phone

Hi there,

I'm about to go onto the Telstra 5G network for our home internet etc. Consequently, we won't have a home phone. I wouldn't mind having one just as an emergency (old parents ringing etc). Can I use my Telstra Smart Modem (that's leftover) to plug in our cordless and use as a 4G network? Would I have to change the existing SIM card that's in there? Will a Panasonic 6.0 DECT cordless work? Thanks in advance. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Smart Modem for home phone

That wouldn't work as there wouldn't be a phone service for it to connect to. You would need to get a separate NBN based Voice service from Telstra for the Smart Modem to have an account to connect to.

The 5G Home Internet service doesn't come with a phone service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tontiss

Thanks for that Jupiter. Excuse my lack of knowledge - but could I run the Telstra Smart modem separately to the 5G network with a 4G (prepaid) sim in it and run a phone off that? Or is it just not built for that?

cf4

No. If you use the smart modem with a normal SIM you will have internet but no phone. What you can do is sign up with a VOIP servic provider such as vonex and either get voip adapter that plugs into a lan port of the 5G modem,, a voip phone or install a voip app on your phone. Your current phone number can be transferred to the VOIP service.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Not with the Smart Modem 2, but there are other 4G Modems out there that can use a Voice/Data SIM (haven't tried a prepaid or voice only SIM though, but they should work as long as the device is unlocked - ex Optus devices are unlocked), to provide a connection point for a corded phone handset or cordless handset/base station. Huawei E5186 and B525's do that and are quite cheap on the second hand market. I have installed them for several caravanners where they are a good solution for those needs, but they will work anywhere. I will have to try a voice only SIM in it

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Tontiss

Hi again,

Continuing along.....I've got the 5G Telstra home modem (which works great for streaming and gaming and general wifi etc). So in regards to setting the home phone up with it I have a joined up with Vonex and now have a voip adaptor and new ph no. I set it up last night. I can make calls but can't receive them. I spoke w Vonex this morning and they said I need to try and disable the SIP ALG on the modem. Can someone point me in the correct direction to do this. Can I do it easily or is it something I need to get Telstra to do? Or perhaps you think it's a different issue. Thanks in advance. 

cf4

VOIP Incoming calls not working is a indication that SIP ALG is enabled on the modem. On most routers and modem's the SIP ALG settings are usually located in the firewall settings. I don't think there are any SIP ALG settings on the 5G modem. The only thing you could do is to lodge a fault and Telstra might disable SIP ALG in the modem's next firmware update. You might have to contact Telstra platinum support which is fee for service but if problem is due to Telstra equipment or can't be fixed there is no fee.

Tontiss

Thanks for that.

I spoke with Telstra and they said they can't (or won't) help me in regards to disabling my SIP ALG settings. 

Is there any other suggestions? I like the 5G modem and works well at home. Plus my wife really wants a home phone for emergencies with aging parents etc. Should I get an unlocked router to connect to the 5G and have our home ph run off that. Or am I being ridiculous? I have no real experience and my just throwing suggestions out. Please help!

SteveW_52

If you can't get any help with the SIP ALG setting that might be in the 5G modem, then going back to a 4G device that will allow 4G phone and date, such as Huawei E5186 and B525 might be the best option. As previously noted, I haven't tried a phone only SIM is these devices..  all my experience is with combined Voice/Data SIMs (I know they work)..  but a normal phone SIM 'should' work..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

That said though, you could just use a mobile handset, much the same as a corded phone connected to a 4G modem...

Stevo 52
cf4

If you got your own router that had SIP ALG settings you would need to set the 5G modem in Bridge mode for the SIP ALG settings in other router to work. Although the 5G modem has a Bridge modem setting I was unable to get it to work when I had the modem. There have also been other reports of Bridge mode not working on the 5G modem.

The other option is to get an Skype incoming number (cost $9.95) and install skype on your mobile phone. You have to be signed into skype to receive incoming calls.

Jupiter

The "Home Phone for Emergencies" in this case doesn't really stack up that well.

Your mobile phones and the 5G modem both work off of the same towers, so having a phone connected to the modem offers no more redundancy than a mobile phone as if the tower goes offline, you lose both anyway.

To have any sort of redundancy, you would need a landline based service for the Home Phone as it would run off a different system to the mobile based solutions.

The SIP-ALG settings on modems typically run through the Firewall functionality as @cf4 noted in one of his posts. The only suggestion in that area I could make would be to turn off the firewall in the modem and see if that makes a difference. In most modems it wouldn't as the ALG settings are normally independent to the main Firewall settings.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more