Tontiss
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem for home phone

Hi there,

I'm about to go onto the Telstra 5G network for our home internet etc. Consequently, we won't have a home phone. I wouldn't mind having one just as an emergency (old parents ringing etc). Can I use my Telstra Smart Modem (that's leftover) to plug in our cordless and use as a 4G network? Would I have to change the existing SIM card that's in there? Will a Panasonic 6.0 DECT cordless work? Thanks in advance. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Smart Modem for home phone

That wouldn't work as there wouldn't be a phone service for it to connect to. You would need to get a separate NBN based Voice service from Telstra for the Smart Modem to have an account to connect to.

The 5G Home Internet service doesn't come with a phone service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tontiss
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for that Jupiter. Excuse my lack of knowledge - but could I run the Telstra Smart modem separately to the 5G network with a 4G (prepaid) sim in it and run a phone off that? Or is it just not built for that?

cf4

No. If you use the smart modem with a normal SIM you will have internet but no phone. What you can do is sign up with a VOIP servic provider such as vonex and either get voip adapter that plugs into a lan port of the 5G modem,, a voip phone or install a voip app on your phone. Your current phone number can be transferred to the VOIP service.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Not with the Smart Modem 2, but there are other 4G Modems out there that can use a Voice/Data SIM (haven't tried a prepaid or voice only SIM though, but they should work as long as the device is unlocked - ex Optus devices are unlocked), to provide a connection point for a corded phone handset or cordless handset/base station. Huawei E5186 and B525's do that and are quite cheap on the second hand market. I have installed them for several caravanners where they are a good solution for those needs, but they will work anywhere. I will have to try a voice only SIM in it

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more