Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and x box one

Hi I just had nbn Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 installed. Drops out every 5 mins Smiley Sad how do i upgrade the modem ?

Also i cant connect my x box one.
Thanks for any help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and x box one

Do any lights change when it drops out?

When you say you cant connect your xbox one can you elaborate further?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

yup it just says cant connect please check connection, reboot modem.
I can connect my telstra tv box.
pendo pad
Phones
desktop
all lights stay on
however computer keeps dropping out every now and then

Highlighted

just checked internet connection again with xbox, came up cannot find ip address.... going to blow it up lol
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

With the new Telstra Smart Modem Gen2, have you disabled the Wi-Fi band-steering? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi, where would i find that setting please.

Many thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Access the modem interface via 192.168.0.1 and you may be asked for a login password which is 'Telstra' by default.  

Go into the Wi-Fi menu at the top and scroll down until you see the option "enable Band-steering" and remove the tick. 

Save the changes.

The other thing that I would check is to make sure that your 4G modem is connected to your NBN service and isn't utilising the 4G back-up. On the Gen2, you can identify when the modem is using the 4G back-up because the light at the front will be blue and the Mobile Mode light on the back will be green.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

blueRe: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and x box one

Ok i will do that, do i reboot the modem after the changes. and light at front is blue

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You probably won't need to, but you may need to "forget" the Wi-Fi networks on the devices and reconfigure them.

Highlighted

ok i will re do the xbox and try again.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: blueRe: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and x box one

Is the light on the front of the modem always blue? The light should be green. Blue indicates modem is working on 4G backup due to fault on main link.

Highlighted

Hi yes there is a problem, i only got half the stuff, just the smart gen modem the other box is coming.
Highlighted

well maybe this is why i cant connect xbox huh ?
Highlighted

The Xbox should still connect to the internet but some peer to peer games might no work when using 4G backup. If the Xbox has been set with an static IP address that is not within the modems LAN address range that might be what is causing it not to connect. To check if a static IP address has been set up on the Xbox one
•From the home menu, select Settings
•Select Network
•Select Advanced settings
•select IP settings
Check that manual has not been selected.

What Smart Modem Gen 2 do you have? There are two an Arcadyan and Technicolor. Both have trouble with some devices dropping out and there is a firmware update that should fix the drop out problem.

Technicolor DJA0231 latest firmware 18.1.c.0241-950-RA (Advanced > Gateway)
Arcadyan LH1000 latest firmware 06.07r (Advanced > Info Summary)

Highlighted

Gee thank god for my mobile....the drop outs are dreadful.
So yes this is what i have
Global Information
Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
Technicolor DJA0231
Software Version
18.1.c
Firmware Version
18.1.c.0241-950-RA
Hardware Version
VCNT-A

I will try the Xbox again tomorrow.
No the ip settings are there.
Added wireless mac to whitelist.
Added a forward port 3074. And up Addy.
To no avail.
And i do thankyou for trying to help....i think its because of all the drop outs...hope this other box helps and it goes inline.....not mobile
Highlighted

Also it says in comp its connected...but web page Mainly just load. It's terrible might ring them again tomorrow but there is prob nothing they can do. I want it online not mobile.....wonder why its mobile ?
Highlighted

Also i even tried to connect my Thompson WiFi modem.....it wouldn't work for some reason ?
Having no luck.
The gen 2 was on aswell. But i disconnected internet. Maybe they were fighting each other lol ?
Highlighted

What type of internet connect do you have? If its bigpond cable the MAC address of the cable adapter has to be registered.

Highlighted

i just changed to nbn
Highlighted

and im just trying eveything that peeps have said, its easily undone Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more