Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) blocking SMB

Thanks, thought that was the case. I've had mine for over 4 months now and it is still on the 07.05r version that it had when it arrived. So what triggers this "automatic" upgrade process is a bit beyond me. The whole thing is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

You should have received at least one update in that time. Are you leaving modem on overnight? Is it working on the main link and not 4G backup? If you are not receiving backups and modem is left on overnight you might be a faulty modem. Telstra high level support can force a firmware update but they will only do this in exceptional circumstances.

Highlighted

The modem stays on 24/7. I have never seen it switch to the 4G backup.

I'm not sure I want to waste more of my time trying to talk to a Telstra support person in some other country, who doesn't have a clue what I am talking about.

Highlighted

One thing you could try is a factory reset and if you have backed up the settings don't restore the settings for at least 24 hours. The only other modem that used to have the ability to backup its settings (the Sagemcom F@st5355) sometimes wouldn't install a firmware update until it was factory reset  and left for at least 24 hours without restoring the modem's backup.\ config file.

Highlighted

Well I might try that sometime, if I can find a time when it would not be too disruptive.  Honestly, the more I hear about this device, the lower my opinion of it sinks.  It sounds like the code was written as an exercise by a first-year student in programming.  The most questionable thing to me is that even after several upgrades, we still have firmware with a zero before the decimal point - in my experience (just over 50 years in software development) that pretty much always indicates pre-release or beta level software.  I wonder when we are we going to see "real" firmware for this box?  Telstra really needs to get its (or somebody's) act together and sort this out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm on 0.09.11r - SMB between wired and wireless LAN segments is still not working.

This is pathetic that since several months Telstra cannot make bridge functionality right.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

@cf4 wrote:

There is currently a firmware update (0.09.11r) for this modem being pushed out that includes a fix for this problem. The firmware version of the modem is displayed on LHS of modem's log in screen.

cf4, not sure if you saw/heard something specifically around the firmware upgrade fixing the SMB share block between wired/wireless networks, but my modem upgraded the other day to v0.09.11r - and the problems still exists.

I rebooted my router, NAS and laptop to ensure everything was reset - and an attempt to access a SMB share from a wireless Mac laptop to the NAS failed.  If I disable the router firewall it works.  ie same issue as before.

I'll do some more testing over the next few days, but looks like nothing's changed.

So, interested if there was a specific list of issues fixed in this firmware upgrade.

Edit: Just tested connecting the Macbook with an Ethernet cable (wifi turned off) and the SMB share works with the firewall still turned on.  So, it's still the same problem.

This was in the list of problems that was supposed to be fixed by the firmware update. There were several other things that were supposed to be fixed by the update but wefe not or were only partialy fixed. I don't think Telstra  is testing there products and updates any more. There have been several firmware updates recently that did not fix previous bugs but actualy created new bugs.

Highlighted

For some reason, I didn't have smb problems until last week. After power surge, once all my devices came back online, smb timeouts are intermittent. Sometimes I can access the shares over WIFI sometimes the connection times out, mostly from amazon Fire TV. Direct ethernet connections are not affected at all, only WiFi.

After 2 days of trying all possible solutions, I ended up disabling the firewall on the modem. To be honest I'm not sure how bad it is to tun it the modem without it. 

Is there a way to connect the phone without telstra modem? I wanted to use my Airport Extreme but after setting the telstra modem to "bridge" it also disables the phone connection on it.

firmware version 0.09.11r

is there a list of firmware updates with release notes for them?

Highlighted

If your NBN connection is not FTTN or FTTB you can connect the airport directly to NBN equipment and connect Telstra modem"s WAN port to airports Ethernet port and phone should work.

The unofficial manual located at this post has a list of firmware updates.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

Highlighted

thank you. It never crossed my mind to connect them in reverse order like that.

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

You should have received at least one update in that time.

Another thought on firmware upgrades, or in my case the lack of them:  I run several home automation devices, which means there are always some devices connected to the network.  Could this be a reason why it doesn't do firmware upgrades?  Mine still hasn't, after being in service for nearly 6 months.  I'm a bit reluctant to return it to factory settings as has been suggested, but it might be feasible to disconnect all devices for a night or two.

Highlighted

I have several devices connected to my modem and that hasn't prevented the modem updating.

Suggest you check the log for any TR069 errors (Go to Advanced > log). To show only TR069 events untick all and then remove all the ticks from all the columns except TR069. Save the file and open in notepad and do search for "Start agent software check"

Below is the events during a software update. First event is at the bottom.

10.12.2019 13:33:57 TR069: Agent software is up-to-date.
10.12.2019 13:33:57 TR069: Start agent software check
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Session end.
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Sending SetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_THOR.Platform.Enabled success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received SetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending GetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received GetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received GetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending DownloadResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received Download 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending SetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Got DeploySoftwareNow
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Got agent software settings. Model:WE410443B-TA SWVersion:2.02.58_01 EligibleSWVersion: URL:http://fwstore.bdms.telstra.net/Arcadyan_LH1000_Boosters_2.02.58_01/WE410443B-TA_2.02.58_01_aldk_uImage_web
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.URL success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleSoftwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleModel success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.Controller.DeploySoftwareNow success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleHardwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.FileSize success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.SoftwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received SetParameterValues 

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion.  My log seems to contain more or less the same sequence of events every day - about 30 of them.  But I saved the contents to a text file and did some searches, and the word "software" does not occur anywhere, and neither does the word "download".  My log goes back to late October 2019.  This suggests to me that no software check is ever being done.  So it's interesting, but I am still none the wiser.

Highlighted

Suggest you contact support and request they push a firmware update to your modem. There was a bug in the very early firmware versions that stopped modems automatically updateing. Support might refer you to platinum support but the fee should be waived as the fault is due to faulty Telstra equipment.

Highlighted

OK, I might do that when I have a couple of hours of my life to waste.  I'm definitely not prepared to pay for anything, for the reason you state.  I did try an online chat a week or so ago, but it was fairly clear that the person I was dealing with didn't really have a clue about this.  That's the real problem - finding someone in Telstra who DOES have a clue!  And it would be nice to find someone who was prepared to own this problem, and see it through to resolution, but that just doesn't seem to happen.  Thanks for your help with this.

Highlighted

Well I tried this, initiated via online chat.  As you suggested they might, they said I needed to talk to platinum support, and booked a callback for 1:30pm today.  But surprise surprise, the call never came - or it hasn't yet, at 4pm.  So much for "Platinum Support".  What a joke.  It would be funny if it wasn't so utterly infuriating.  It's pretty obvious that Telstra couldn't care less.  I'm out of contract, so I think it's time to start the search for another provider.

Highlighted

I made a claim, asking Telstra to take this router back at their expense + complaining that I needed to buy my own router, to be able to use their service, as their router is clearly broken and not fully usable. Telstra router comes free of charge, but if you would terminate the service you need to pay $216 for it. What I got is exactly this, so $216 credit on my account. So worst case scenario, if I will be terminating the service, I do not need to pay for this crap. If I will use the service, I'm $216 on plus. You should do the same, maybe if they start paying $216 credit to few customers, some dummy developer will get a kick to finally implement this super complex functionality like network bridge between LAN segments.

Highlighted

A further observation - I restarted the LH1000 today, just a restart, not a reset to factory settings.  I looked at the log afterwards, and during the startup process, I did indeed see the "Start agent software check" event.  It was immediately followed by one saying "Agent software is up to date".  Given that it is still running on 0.07.05r, this is clearly and obviously wrong.  This also confirms (I think) that in its current state, it will NEVER update its firmware.  I've made one failed attempt to get an upgrade pushed to it, maybe I'll just have to persist with that.  Why is it me who has to do all the work?

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

FWIW, I am using a Telstra Gen2 NBN modem running software 0.04.14r, and have been waiting for it to be upgraded via TR-069 for quite a few weeks. Don't know if it will ever update.

I too have not been able to connect to an SMB shared USB stick in the Gen2 from a WiFi connected Win7 PC.  I am, however, able to connect to this SMB shared USB stick from a WiFi connected Raspberry Pi using the smbclient program.  My firewall setting is normal, DoS is enabled, DMZ is disabled, WiFi band steering is turned off, and DynDNS is on and working. DLNA access to the USB stick from my Win7 PC works fine.  Turning off the firewall seems to make no difference to my Win7 SMB connection attempts. For backwards compatibility with a previous NBN modem, my Gen2 is configured at an IP address of 10.0.0.1/24

Seems like the Gen2 may be anti-Microsoft. Has anyone else tried connecting to an SMB share on the Gen2 over WiFi using a non-Microsoft client?

Highlighted

Suggest you contact support and request the manually update the software in your Arcadyan to latest version 0.09.11r. They should refer you to platinum support who usually charge a fee for service but because the modem is faulty the fee will be waived.

The modem only support SMB1 which by default is disabled in Windows. Have you enabled SMB1. See link below for how to enable SMB1

https://help.wilcom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000735796-How-to-turn-on-SMB-1-0-CIFS-File-Sharing-Supp...

Highlighted

Thank you for the quick reply.

From what I can ascertain, I believe my Win 7 PC has SMB v1 enabled correctly.

Independent of that, running the AndSMB app on my WiFi connected Lenovo tablet I can successfully SMB access the USB card in my Gen2 modem. Have others found the problem isolated to Windows clients?

Highlighted

I can access a USB drive connected to the Arcadyan modem on both windows 10 and Windows XP.

Can you access other SMB1 network drives on your windows 7 PC?

Highlighted

@pb29 wrote:

...Have others found the problem isolated to Windows clients?

No - this issue (Firewall blocking SMB connection between wireless/wired networks) is present for me on Windows and Mac.

I leave SMB1 disabled, and the shares will work using SMB2 if the firewall is disabled, so I'm not sure about the comment of the modem only supporting SMB1.

Highlighted

Hmm this is interesting.  I hadn't tried sharing a USB drive on the modem before, no need really when we have the Synology NAS device.  But just to see, I tried plugging one in.  The modem's log recorded that it saw it, and after a short while it showed up in its GUI under the USB caption on the HOME screen.  But I could not access it from WinExplorer my Win10 laptop, which has no problem accessing the Synology box.  It does not appear in the Network page of WinExplorer and I can't browse it by explicitly typing in its network name (\\Telstra-Modem\sda1\ according to the GUI).  And this is using a separate wireless access point, which does allow all our laptops to access the Synology box OK.  This is a non-issue for me, but just seems to indicate yet more problems with this somewhat crippled device.

Highlighted

Sorry, cancel previous message.  I didn't have SMB1 turned on in the Programs and Features part of Control Panel.  Just turned it on and I can now see and access the USB device.  Based on previous comments, this makes it a bit weird that this laptop (Win10) had no problem accessing the Synology box when I was using the modem's inbuilt wireless network.

Highlighted

The reason you SMB packets are not blocked could be due to modem having the original factory firmware. Later versions of the firmware could have introduced the SMB bug which tje latest version firmware is supposed to have fixed.

Highlighted

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't have any other working SMB servers.  Need to get one going. Will revert when I have another working server.

Highlighted

This just continues to get worse.  Today I decided to try calling Telstra and getting a firmware update pushed to the device.  I really don't think the person I spoke to understood what I was talking about.  There was no offer of "Platinum" support, I was just told that they could not do it.  But I don't think they had the faintest idea of what "it" was.  End of story, end of conversation. There is no way that I can see to contact this "Platinum" support directly, so what's the secret for actually getting to them?  Just keep phoning until I happen to find someone who has some idea of what I'm talking about?  Unbelievable.  I think it's time to start looking for another NBN provider.

Highlighted

This is the Telephone no for platinum support.

https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support#once-off

Your other alternative is to lodge a complaint.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Highlighted

Thanks, obviously hadn't dug deep enough.  Just tried calling 137587, got put on hold (of course), then after 2 or 3 minutes, the line just went dead!  Fabulous.  So I have lodged a complaint as per your second suggested link.  Sigh.

Highlighted

Turned out my Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) firewall was corrupt in my Win 7 PC. The virus and malware parts of SEP were working OK.  Nasty fault. Took ages to locate. The firewall component fault was NOT as simple as incorrect filtering rules. It was a real mess. I can now access the Gen2 modem USB stick from my Win 7 PC using SMB protocol, after completely re-installing SEP.

Thanks again.

Highlighted

Someone phoned me today regarding my complaint.  From the word go it was pretty obvious that he didn't have any technical knowledge of this area, and I was again told flat out that it "could not be done".  I could get no further.  I guess I could take this box to a Telstra shop and demand a replacement - the chances are reasonable that a newer one would have a later  firmware version, and so should be able to correctly update itself in future.

And I am considering another tack - how feasible is it to go to JB Hifi or Harvey Norman or somewhere and buy another brand/model NBN router and set it up myself?  The part I'd be a bit concerned about is the VOIP phone number - that area seems to be locked down in the LH1000 web interface, so I'm guessing that only Telstra  can set that up.  It would not be a big loss to do without the VOIP phone number, but we are paying for it I guess.  Has anyone here tried this approach, and if so, what was the result?

Highlighted

You can use another router as your main NBN router and use the Telstra modem as VOIP adapter with its WAN port connected to a LAN port of the main router.

It would fairly easy to set up configuring the main router internet settings for an IPOE connection (ISP does not require a login).

For phone to work would have to check that the LAN IP subset of main router and Telstra modem are not the same (192.168.0.xx). If they are the same either Telstra modem or main routers address range will have to be changed for example to 10.0.0.xx.

If there are problems with incoming calls would have to change SIP ALG settings in main router. If on turn off and if off turn on. Some routers don't have SIP ALG settings and incoming calls should work with no problems if using one of these routers. 

I am amazed that you have still not been able to speak to any one  at Telstra who understands the problem and has either pushed the firmware update to your modem or has put you in contact with some one who can push the firmware update to the modem. It is a well know fact that some of the Arcadyan modems with very early firmware would not automatically update.

Highlighted

OK thanks for that, might be worth pursuing.  My connection is HFC, so I have 2 boxes - a coaxial cable comes from the original cable plate on the wall to the first box, then an ethernet cable goes from that box to the LH1000.  So my thought is that I don't need a modem/router, just a router, is that right?  That is, it wouldn't need a DSL port.

Highlighted

Yes you would just need a router.

Highlighted

Well the saga continues..... I have finally spoken to so-called Platinum support, and they persistently say they cannot do this.  They directed me to call 1800 834 273, which is supposedly the NBN support "experts".  I've just spent half an hour or so on the phone trying to get through the guy's head what I am talking about.  He said multiple times "I don't have an option to upgrade the firmware", so I guess he's talking about what he can see on his screen.  His best suggestion was to go to a Telstra shop.  I have zero belief that anyone in a Telstra shop would have a clue about any of this.

So, if anyone here has actually had a firmware upgrade "pushed" to their LH1000 router, who on earth did you talk to who WAS able to do it?  You say above that it is a "well known fact" that early routers could not upgrade themselves, but I have yet to talk to anyone who is anywhere near knowing anything about this.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Your complaints case manager should be able to arrange for someone within Platinum who has access to alter modem firmware to contact you and push the upgrade to your modem.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I think there might be some confusing because you a calling the updated firmware an upgrade. Next time you speak to support ask them to update the firmware instead of asking them to update the firmware. They can't upgrade the firmware but they can update the modem to the latest firmware. Sometimes the modem is not communicating with the server and in this is why the firmware is no updating. In these cases support can push a firmware update to the modem and the modem has to be replaced.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.  But the person who rang me regarding the complaint (who may or may not have been the case manager) said flat out that this "could not be done".  No suggestion as to what to do next, no nothing - just "this can't be done".  Have not heard from them any further.

Highlighted

I suppose that's possible, but I would have thought that anyone who had half a brain would be able to realise what was meant.  Or if not, ask further questions to determine what was meant.  But no - as always, it seems it's the customer who has to do all the work.

My router only communicates with the server about firmware during its startup sequence.  I've tried clearing its log then rebooting, and it does query the server at that time but immediately concludes that the "software is up to date".  We all know that's just plain wrong.  I have let the logs accumulate for weeks previously, and when I search the text (saved into a text document), the word "software" never appears again.

Highlighted

Case managers aren't technically trained, they liaise with other departments to resolve a complaint. The firmware can be manually changed, but only a limited number of staff have that ability.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

It must depend on who you actually talk to.  The guy who rang me was clearly not aware of what you say in the second sentence.

Highlighted

I'd recommend calling complaints tomorrow on 13 22 00 and say complaint then give them your SR 1- number as ask for your case manager to call your back.

The request would need to come through official channels to be actioned. 

Highlighted

@marshallartarts 

My router only communicates with the server about firmware during its startup sequence.  I've tried clearing its log then rebooting, and it does query the server at that time but immediately concludes that the "software is up to date".  We all know that's just plain wrong.  I have let the logs accumulate for weeks previously, and when I search the text (saved into a text document), the word "software" never appears again.

There was another post were the modem had the original factory firmware and the logs were similar to yours. In this case platinum were unable to communicate with modem to push the firmware to modem and customer was sent a new modem.

Highlighted

Well, replacement might be something to pursue too.  Any suggestions on how to convince Telstra to replace this thing would be welcome!

Highlighted

It's a matter of convincing Telstra support that the firmware in your modem is not the latest firmware and that the modem wasn't update. Because the firmware is not up to date you are having problems with the modem. You must be very unlucky to have not been able to speak to one person in Telstra support who understands the importance of having the correct firmware in the mode.

Highlighted

Well, it looks like persistence may have won through.  I gave 13 22 00 one more go, and spoke to a quite helpful lady.  Tried a few things, including resetting the LH1000 to factory settings.  She actually said that doing that might cause it to update its firmware, which is something I've seen on this forum.  It was good to do it, because it proved to me that restoring a saved configuration does actually work.  Sadly, it did not cause the LH1000 to update its firmware.  That's the bad news.  But the good news is that a replacement has now been authorised, woo hoo.  Should be here in a week or so.

Highlighted

I'm glad your situation with the firmware update will soon be hopefully resolved.

Unfortunately, if you'd been facing the original issue of SMB access between wired/wireless - I haven't seen the latest firmware resolve the situation.

"My Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) Firewall appears to be blocking internal SMB (port 445) packets between the WiFi and Wired networks."

Highlighted

Are you using SMB 1.0 or a later version of SMB? I have never had any problems transferring files between WiFi and wired LAN using SMB 1.0.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more