Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
MaxSophie
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) blocking SMB

@gvm771 wrote:

@MaxSophie wrote:

Update: Opened up my Mac this morning (wireless connection) and the SMB to my wired NAS still worked !!  

Checked on a Windows 10 laptop (wireless) and was able to also connect a SMB share on the wired NAS successfully.

Double checked the router and the firewall was still turned on ('normal' defense strength)

So, it's now all looking good on firmware 0.09.11r

Anyone else with the original issue able to claim success?  (For me turning off the firewall, and then turning it on again got it going ???  )

I have the original issue: smb blocked  between wired and wireless networks, fixed by disabling firewall, works for a while after the firewall is re-enabled. But i am on 11.11r. This problem does not seem to be fixed.

I must say I haven't noticed the issue for awhile now (months).  My router is now 11.11r and I'm sure it started working for me on a previous release.  It continues to work for me on Windows 10 and Mac laptops. 

I just checked and the Firewall is enabled, and set at 'Normal' defence level.

mattsta
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks marshallarts for your reply.

My router has recently updated to 0.11.11r and it has resolved the issue.

I have tested on 2 windows 10 laptops.

marshallarts
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I've just noted that my router has updated itself to version 0.12.09r of the firmware.  Anyone know what the changes are in this? I can't see anything different in the management pages when I log in to it.  Wouldn't it be good if Telstra (or someone) had a webpage somewhere with some notes about the firmware releases?  You know, keeping customers informed.  Not holding my breath for that!

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Something you might want to check is on the Wi-Fi page where PMF is now automatically enable for both Wi-Fi bands. While this would be ok on some devices, there are a lot of (mostly) older devices where the Wi-Fi adapter will spit the dummy if PMF is enabled.  So if you have anything experiencing trouble with a Wi-Fi connection to the router, turn PMF off.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

You want a teleCOMMUNICATIONS company that can't answer phone calls or provide an decent level of inhouse technical support to tell you about each firmware release of the devices they promote and sell??? Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is a plan to provide this information at the link below. There is also a discussion thread  here

The main change with Firmware update 0.12.09r is the addition of the game optimiser and the enabling of protected management frames (WiFi PMF) by default.  See section 36 of document linked in this posts for problems with PMF 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/tkb-p/Broadband-Wiki/label-name/firmware%20upda...

marshallarts
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Thanks for that cf4.

One thing I did notice about this latest firmware is that the router's logs now look quite different.  The following 3 lines get logged every few seconds, so there are thousands of them.  I don't recall seeing anything like this before, so I hope it doesn't indicate any problem.

18.10.2020 21:39:06 health check [ThorGW] init or restart
18.10.2020 21:39:06 health check detect case (ThorGW)
18.10.2020 21:39:11 health check case (SIP LOG)

cf4

It doesn't indicate a problem with your modem. I don't know whether it is a bug in the firmware or this was intended but all the Arcadyan modems that have been updated to 0.12.09r exhibit this behaviour.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more