Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Arnold4
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan version (LH1000) unofficial manual

Hi I would like to know how to change the password on my smart modem gen2. How do I do this

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Log into your Smart Modem 2 at 192.168.0.1 and use admin and Telstra as the username and password (this is written on the label on the bottom of the device.

When you have logged in, go to User Settings and you can change the password there..  make sure to save it and follow the instructions on screen to build your password.

Make sure you remember the password, if you forget you will have to reset the modem to default settings, so you can use the original credentials again.

Log out of the modem and then try the new password to get into it again..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Madshark
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the time and effort you've put into documenting this.

Madshark
Alf5
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (Arcadyan LH 1000)

Latest firmware: 0.12.15r

Unbelievable that this problem still exists.

I have a Synology NAS and It will not connect File Sharing via Samba (smb) between wifi and an ethernet port of the router. The problem appears to be the CIFS protocol during initial handshaking.

No matter what you do, no changes on the NAS nor your Laptop/PC will make a difference.

There is just one trick that works....

On the LH1000...turn off the firewall, then browse to your NAS...then turn back on the firewall on the LH1000 and the connection stays up. It does not matter which level of firewall you turn back on once the NAS file sharing connection has been established. Low/Normal/High all work after that.

That is until your Laptop/PC goes to sleep and your connection is broken again.

Funny enough on the original firmware version 0.9.* this problem did not exist.

I have never seen any other modem/router which does wifi/ethernet ever show such a behaviour.

As others have mentioned before, the LH1000 simply doesn't appear to know the difference between internal and external Network.

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Do you have any port forwarding rules set up on the modem? I noticed that if there are any port forwarding rules set up on the modem the modem throttles traffic between WiFi and LAN. I don't have a Syntology NAS on my network but I do have some network mass storage devices on the LAN and I don't have any problems connecting to these but with port forwarding set up data transmission between WiFi and LAN is throttled to between 40 and 50 Mbps.

Alf5

No port forwarding setup.

I have turned off ipv6 on both the NAS and the Laptop thinking that this might be a possible issue, but it made no difference.

I also have disabled smb1 and connections are now only via smb2/smb3. In addition SMB log has been turned on at the NAS. It proofed that the NAS never even sees a log on attempt via CIFS until I temporary turn off the Firewall in the router and then it logs on faultless. As I said, once I have logged in I can turn the firewall back on in the Router and the connection/file sharing stays up.

Backup and syncing to the NAS works perfect as it uses http/https....no issues there.

Mkrtich

Hi - agree with your statement about Firewall gremlins. As a matter of interest, does your modem show User ID and Password fields for controlled access to your NAS. I  have plugged a USB drive into my Arcadyan 0.12.15r and it now doesn't show these fields which had previously existed on 0.11.11r. Strange thing is that I could connect as follows

1. Windows PC  with LAN cable to modem.

2. Apple iPhone 8 Wi-Fi through Files App - but in connection screen, it showed as a Registered User Ticked, rather than Anonymous implying the iPhone remembered the last time I tested connection on 0.11.11r firmware in August 2020.

3. Jetson Nano Ubuntu Wi-Fi - refuses to allow Anonymous option selection, insists on User ID and Password although modem doesn't show these fields - have tried all logical combinations - can't connect. 

Firmware 0.12.15r

Firmware 0.11.11r - Picture Dated 3rd August 2020

Alf5

I enabled Samba in sharing but have nothing hooked up to it. It was simply done to see if it had any influence on the Ethernet connected NAS. But..same as yours, Username and Password field is now missing. I am not sure if I now fixed it or for sheer coincidence it's working for ones.

I just opened a Network folder on NAS after my laptop was closed for a while. So it was either in sleep or hibernation mode.

The last changes I have made:

1) Disable ipv6 on my Laptop

2) Disable ipv6 on the NAS Server

3) Disable smp1 on NAS Server (So only allowing SMP2/SMP3 protocol.

4) Firewall level on LH1000 is set to : Normal

Just checked the Samba Log file on the NAS Server and it shows that my Laptop just successfully logged in again :-)

Maybe its now fixed and maybe it was just sheer luck.

Mkrtich

Quick update - found my notes from last year - entered in my original test User ID and Password for SAMBA access into the Jetson Nano and connected OK. So although 0.12.15r screen seems not to show entries for newly connected drives or these fields are being removed for previously connected drives, remote Wi-Fi devices are being challenged for User & Password for access which is good security against unwelcome Wi-Fi clients.

It still is peculiar that the protection fields are absent from current firmware.

Alf5

Just an update.

All the settings of my last suggestion don't work. It all just holds up until the PC/Laptop on wifi either goes into hibernation or is turned off, then it is all back to the original problem.

So the SMB/NAS problem was finally fixed in version 0.09**** and on subsequent firmware updates they broke it again.

It is still broken in the latest version: 0.13.01r

This is for Arcadyan LH1000

So..original problem is back again:  A NAS Server connected via Ethernet using smb can not be accessed/seen via a Laptop/PC that uses wifi.

Mkrtich

Hi - was hoping 0.13.01r may address that issue for you - it is as if a VLAN has been established or the Bridge between the LAN and Wi-Fi doesn't like that connection for reasons unknown but will allow you to access other LAN connected devices from a Wi-Fi device.

Its been two weeks now, but I think cf4 kindly advised me that once SMBv2 is set up with User ID and Password, those fields are removed from sight but still active. The only way to bring them out of hiding is to turn SMBv2 OFF, they are then presented back on the screen allowing an edit if required and a SAVE will activate any new settings , then hide them again. I haven't tested on 0.13.01r to see if that has changed.  

cf4

Do you have any port forwarding rules set up in the LH1000? If any port forwarding rules are set up this causes the throttling of the speed between LAN and WiFi connected devices.

Alf5

Just double checked, no Port forwarding rules have been set up.

The only real changes in the LH1000 made since the start of the problems are: IPV6 disabled, static IP addresses set at the LH1000 for the NAS and some other home entertainment devices. 

Any other changes made on the LH1000 for testing and diagnosing have been rolled back when proven to have no positive effect regarding this problem.

All problems appear to be purely around smb protocol and the weird implementation of the LH1000 firewall rules.

Browsing and using the NAS/TV/AMP/Bluray inbuilt Web-servers has never been an issue at all. 

I have made 1 change in the Synology NAS Server just last night and the wifi Laptop DID re-connect now. But this could be pure coincidence and might have opened the firewall due to a change, which usually is just a temporary thing.

Dazza1618
Level 3: Gumshoe

@cf4 wrote:

As there is no official manual for this modem I have written my own which I hope some people might find useful. It would probably have been better to post as a WiKi but I have never been able to post a WiKi successfully. The manual can be found at link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVq7jGm44RtQIbfGwSVvyj98i27qj1s9/view?usp=sharing

The manual covers the following

1. Lights 

2. Modem's  Connection s and Button s 

3. Login and Home Screen 

4. Change Modem’s Login Password

5. Telstra’ s  Internet   User Name and Password 

6. Parental Controls

7. Connecting Wi-Fi devices

8. Address Reservation (Static LAN I  P   Address)

9. Port Forwarding

10.Inbuilt Help

11.Firewall 

12.Reset Modem   or Reboot Modem

13.Turn WI-FI OFF or ON 

14.Bridge Mode 

15.Dynamic DNS 

16.Register and De-register a DECT handset 

17.Telephony (Phone Number,  Phone book., Call Log  and misc  )

18.R emote  WEB  Access

19.Wi-Fi MAC Filtering 

20.Backup and restore modem's settings 

21.Change Wi-Fi Channel, SSID and Password 

22.Third Party VDSL Modem /Router 

23.DLNA Server and Mass Storage 

24.Traffic monitor 

25.4G Cellular Backup 

26.Diagnostics (Fault Finding) 

27.Change IP Address of Modem 

28.Modem Firmware / Software  

29.Modem’s Time Settings