CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 as a bridge

Answered

Hi,

Following this older issue to setup my second modem as a bridge: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Setting-and-configure-Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen... Range seems extended, but getting some strange errors about DNS on not so smart devices like PS4 and Nintendo switch. What i did was to set same SSID and password on second modem and change the Internet mode to bridge. Set also a channel on second modem from the auto that was set. Lan cable goes from normal port on first modem to second WAN port. Anything that you can think of?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 as a bridge

Once you have turned off DHCP in the second modem will not be able to reconnect to it until you connect one of its LAN ports to one of the main modem's LAN ports. If you haven't connected the LAN port this could be reason modem is not accessible.

One thing I forgot to mention is to turn of IPv6 in the second modem.

In my suggestions for a Bridged I made a mistake. Second modem item two should have been disable LAN IPv6 in second modem (not disable LAN IPv6 in main modem). 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

There are two things you could try.

1. Change LAN IP address of Bridge modem so that it is not the same as the main modem. Example change from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2
  2. Disable LAN IPv6 in main modem.

I prefer leaving the second modem in normal mode rather than Bridging second modem and using this configuration.

Remove SIM from second modem, change second modems IP address so it is not the same as the main modem and turn off DHCP in the second modem. Connect LAN port of second modem to LAN port of main modem. I would also change WiFi channels, SSIDs and passwords to match main modem. 

Using this method you still have access to second modem's GUI if you need to change settings. You also have access to the USB port of second modem over the network.

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. Did not have time to get around this until now. 

Tried last night, but after changing the second modem IP from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.100, and all the other changes detailed above the modem is trying to update and after a couple of minutes is not accesible anymore. 

I am doing this changes after a full reset and by connecting the modem to a pc that is not connected to my network.

Am i doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

radub

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Once you have turned off DHCP in the second modem will not be able to reconnect to it until you connect one of its LAN ports to one of the main modem's LAN ports. If you haven't connected the LAN port this could be reason modem is not accessible.

One thing I forgot to mention is to turn of IPv6 in the second modem.

In my suggestions for a Bridged I made a mistake. Second modem item two should have been disable LAN IPv6 in second modem (not disable LAN IPv6 in main modem). 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you. This has worked and I am now using my second smart modem as a network extender. One thing to mention is that the light of the modem is red - which makes sense as this modem is not connected to the Internet, but extends the primary network.

Thank you!!

Highlighted

Hi,

I have a small problem with this setup. 

When a device (especially Apple devices) moves from one modem to another i get a login page similar to the one you get when you connect to a wifi in an airport. I just have to accept the done button on that page and everything works fine. However i land to the modem login page and i have to disconnect wifi and connect again in order to connect and not get to the modem login page. 

With time this becomes pretty annoying. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.

Highlighted

Did you disable IPv6 in the bridged modem?

Highlighted

Hi,

Yes. I did disable IPV6, but the second modem is not in bridge mode. It is using same SSID and password as the first modem, with DHCP off and connected on a network port of the first modem.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Which version of Smart Modem do you have? There are two versions an Arcadyan and a Technicolor. The Technicolor has vents on the side (See image below). I have tested with iPod and the device switches from the main modem to the satellite modem and back without a prompt for action or displaying the modem's login page.

Highlighted

I have two Arcadyan. The problem does not come all the time, probably every couple of times. I have this on a laptop now as well - a MacBook. Haven't tried to move around with a Windows laptop but i'll do this today.

Thanks,

radub

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more