Ichabod1
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Cable Compatibility

I have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 installed via a Cat 5e cable connnected to the Black NBN modem. The Cat 5e cable came in the box with the Telstra Smart Modem.

I need to relocate the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 in a more central location, for better WiFi access around the house and also where it can access the mobile network if required for backup (its currently displays a red light of mobile network connetion status.

I had a Cat 6 Cable installed in anticipation (about 4 metres away) , but it would just not work with the Telstra Modem in its new central location. There was no signal. The Cat 6 Cable I had installed was tested and according to the test gadget, was viable. NBN tech support could only suggest that I go back to a Cat 5e Cable. Big tech help given that the Cat 6 is backwards compatible with Cat5e. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Cable Compatibility

The Cat 6 cable should work. It is backward compatible. Make sure that if you are using any patch Ethernet cables that they are not crossover cables but are straight LAN Ethernet cables and that the installed 4 M cat 6 cable is not a crossover cable.

If the 4 Meter Cat 6 cable has been wired as a crossover cable you will need to use a Ethernet crossover cable at either the Modem or the NBN NTD.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more