Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra smart modem Gen 2 how do i set up to use both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz

My Gen 2 modem (NBN) is set to default to use the 5GHz band width which is fine. I have just installed garden lights that require the 2.4GHz to operate. How do i set up my Gen 2 smart modem to switch to the 2.4GHz when i want to use the app to turn on my outdoor garden lights and leave the system to use the 5GHz for when we connect to the WiFi inside the house.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra smart modem Gen 2 how do i set up to use both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), go to 2.4 GHz WiFi settings, disable band steering and save settings. This will add -5G to the end of the 5GHz network name.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4. will my modem still operate using the 5GHz for all other connections or will i no longer be able to use the 5GHz for when i am inside the house?

Highlighted

All devices will connect to the 2.4 GHz Wifi. To connect other devices to the 5 GHz you will have to connect them to the network with -5G added. These devices will then automatically connect to wifi band with best performance.

If all your devices are connected to 5 GHz now it might be because the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. If 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty all devices will lose there connection when you disable band steering until they are connected to the network with -5G added.

Highlighted

Apology for butting in to this conversation but I have a related question?  Am I able to see the 2.4GHz option but am unable to access it, reason says I am using the wrong password.  I am using the same password as for the 5 GHz.  How can I change the password?  

Highlighted

You can change the password by changing the Network Key in the modem's WiFi settings. If you are sure you are using correct password it might be due to the device not supporting Protected Management Frames (WiFi-PMF). PMF can be turned off in the modem's advanced WiFi settings.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more