Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 keeps dropping constantly

Answered

Hello, We were having issues with our internet earlier so Telstra sent us a Smart Modem Gen 2 but it keeps dropping out constantly, This is very frustrating when it comes to online games because you get kicked mid game. Everytime it happens I have to restart the whole router and it seems to fix it for about 10 minutes before it happens again. Can anyone help? Our router is a Arcadyan if that helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 keeps dropping constantly

A new firmware has been released.in the past month for the modem (0.09.11r). The lose of internet might be due to modem trying to download and update the firmware. Rebooting the modem each time might be interrupting the update so modem keeps trying to update.

If you don't reboot for at least 30 minutes modem will have time to update. If you have already had the modem on for over 30 minutes after loosing the internet then it looks like modem is faulty and you should ask for a replacement. There are two versions of the GEN 2 modem ask for the Technicolor version DJA0231.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12

What version firmware does the modem have? Latest is 0.09.11r. Firmware no is displayed on LHS of log in page.

What colour are the lWan / Dsl and online ights on the back of modem when you lose the internet?

What type of internet connection do you have?

If this is the same problem you had with your orginal modem there could be a link fault that requires a Tech visit to fix.

Highlighted

Thanks for replying,

My Firmware Version is: 0.08.06r.

The Wan / Dsl light stay green when it drops out.

I have ADSL 1.

Our original Modem did not have the same problem, its started since I installed the Gen 2.

Highlighted

Is you correct bigpond username and password in the Broadband PPPOE settings? The modems ship with a generic username and password. On some ADSL connections this is automatically updated but on others it has to be entered manualy.

Highlighted

I've fixed that up, It hasn't continued so far, but it has only been 10 minutes. I'll keep you updated to see if it persists.

Highlighted

It is still persisting, are you able to assist me further?

Highlighted

When you loose the internet connection are you still able to access the modem's GUI.

Highlighted

Sorry for the late reply, it seemed like it fixed its self for the past 2 days but it has come back,

I am able still access the modem's GUI even when it goes out.

Highlighted

Could you post a screen shoot of the DSL line stats. They will give an indication if there is fault on the ADSL link. The line stats are located here Go to Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL 

Highlighted

Highlighted

Those stats indicate the link was down for 20 seconds but the if you have just rebooted the modem they could have been caused by reboot. If the modem has been rebooted recently the stats indicate there is no problem with ADSL link and it is the modem causing the problem.

Highlighted

What do you think I should do? Should I get a replacement modem of the same type or an entirely new modem?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

A new firmware has been released.in the past month for the modem (0.09.11r). The lose of internet might be due to modem trying to download and update the firmware. Rebooting the modem each time might be interrupting the update so modem keeps trying to update.

If you don't reboot for at least 30 minutes modem will have time to update. If you have already had the modem on for over 30 minutes after loosing the internet then it looks like modem is faulty and you should ask for a replacement. There are two versions of the GEN 2 modem ask for the Technicolor version DJA0231.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more