Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 loses internet connection when iPhone connects to wifi

Hi there,

I have been having some issues lately with the internet connection with our Gen 2 Modem.

I currently have 2 playstations connected via cable, and then some other devices via wifi (MacBook Air, iPads, Apple TV, iPhone1, iPhone2, ChromeCast)

I’m not entirely sure, however, the only pattern we have noticed is when iPhone1 connects to the wifi the internet connectivity drops out and restarts.

I have restarted the modem, changed the wifi password adding 1 device at a time to check, It doesn’t seem to matter if I have 0 devices connected or 5 devices but each time we connect iPhone1 it drops out!

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 loses internet connection when iPhone connects to wifi

Before I can make any suggestions on how to fix this problem could you tell me which version of the modem you have and what version firmware it has. There are two versions of the modem, see image below.  The firmware version is displayed on the LHS of the log in screen. Latest firmware for Arcadyan modem is .8.06r. Latest version for Technicolor version is 18.1.c.0384-950-RB.

Highlighted

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 loses internet connection when iPhone connects to wifi

Hi cf4,

thank you for replying, I have the Technicolor DJA0231 and the firmware number matches what you wrote above... 18.1.c.0384-950-RB 

Highlighted

I haven’t heard of any WiFi problems with the Technicolor modem. Do both iPhones have the same operating system. There have been reports of iPones with version 13.1 causing WiFi problems.

Highlighted

Both iPhone have 13.1.3... both only recently purchased... they’re both iPhone 11 Pro Max... it’s really strange... 

Highlighted

It could be an IP conflict. Check that the iPhone causing the problem is set to use DHCP. See link below for how to change network settings.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/19/manual-dhcp-static-ip-address-ios/

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Does the iPhone 11 restart its original Internet connection which then continues or does it restart the modem when it links to the Wi-Fi network. If the former and connection is maintained, the iPhone which supports three Wi-Fi standards, the newer 802.11ax (5Ghz), previous 802.11ac (5Ghz) and 802.11n(2.4Ghz) standards (all backward compatible) may be switching over its Wi-Fi adapter to a preferred network based on its software instructions which may explain interruptions/delays. The Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 supports 802.11ac (5Ghz) and 802.11n(2.4Ghz) only.

If the DHCP suggestion doesn't improve matters, you could experiment with possible stability improvement if you Disable Bandsteering in the 2.4Ghz page, Save and then link the iPhone to 2.4Ghz SSID or 5.0 Ghz SSID band to see how each band performs. Automatic roaming between the two bands won't work which may or may not be an issue for you. If connection to the faster 5Ghz band is preferred, a manual connect to the 2.4Ghz would be required when the iPhone is out of the 5Ghz coverage area. 

Highlighted

@Mkrtich 

From my experience with the Telstra modems even when band steering is disabled WiFi devices connected to the 5 GHz WiFi band will automatically connect to the 2.4GHz when the 5 GHz is out of range if they have been configured with the password for both SSID's and set to automatically connect to both SSID's. However the devices won't automatically connect to the 5 GHz WiFi band when it is back in range which would happen if Band steering is enabled.

Highlighted

@cf4thanks for the info, good to know. I think it may also be influenced by the Wi-Fi Adapter properties and Operating System of the device. 

I found this article recently which may be of interest to you on how the Apple IOS does roaming on iPhone 7 and the way it treats DFS channels in the USA. I don't think it applies to the original post, just thought you may find it interesting.  https://mac-wifi.com/why-i-dislike-dfs-channels-and-you-might-too/

Highlighted

That is a very interesting article bu I don’t think the problem discussed there applies to a home network. In the home network there is no reason to search for another AP unless you are out of range or in an area with low signal from your modem’s WiFi. The main problem with DFS is that not all devices support it. Devices that don’t support DFS want detect the modem’s SSID on the 5G band of the modem is using a DFS channel.

@Sirena_Tatuada 

Turning of Band steering as @Mkrtich  has already mentioned and if that doesn’t work setting an non DFS channel in the modem want do any harm and might solve the problem of modem losing the internet when iPhone 1 connects to the modem.

the internet iPhone1 connects.

Highlighted

If your wondering about the extra unnecessary lines in my last post was because for some reason was unable to access and delete last three lines in previous post. Even after posting and trying to edit the post could not access last three lines. I think it was due to the recent update of the iPad to 13.2

Highlighted

"The main problem with DFS is that not all devices support it. Devices that don’t support DFS won't detect the modem’s SSID on the 5G band of the modem is using a DFS channel."

Yes, I think the Roku Ultra ( Telstra TV3) doesn't recognise DFS Channels and may explain why some people either lose their previous connectivity to or can't reconnect to or install their TV3 to Gen 2 Smart Modems.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more