Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - OutAge but no 4G?

Hi all

Have a new Smart Modem Gen 2 since December 2018. Just checked and we are in a cable outage BUT internet no working and 4G light not on. Mobile signal strength at green and all other lights fixed green as well (network light = blue as normal).

Thanks for any advice.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - OutAge but no 4G?

Have you tried disconnecting WAN port on the modem? Reconnect WAN port once outage over.

Will give that a try. But would think the modem should automatically transfer to 4G without me having to do anything. Otherwise, not very Smart!

There are some circumstances when the modem does not realize there is an internet fault particularly when the main link is still working but there is a network fault causing the lose of internet.

Yeah - well that did not work unfortunately. Anyone else have an idea? This is now at least the 4th multi day outage in 3 months so getting pretty sick of this.....the Smart Modem Gen 2 was supposed to be the solution but it seems it is very poorly named - nothing smart about it at all!!

What are the chances of a SIM card not working properly or is that not a likely problem?

Sorry - may have double posted this - but what are the chances of a problem with the SIM card that came with the modem?
Level 23: Superhero

The sim could be faulty. Have you called through to support 13 22 00?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Thanks for the reply. Have not called yet as assumed closed over week end. Also fair to say have called various support numbers over the past 3 months and pretty patchy experience - so thought would try crowd support. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Faults/assurance teams are available 24/7 365 days a year.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Thanks for that. I must admit it is a bit confusing to know which number to call - I now have a list of about 10 numbers for dealing with the internet problems we have experienced over the past 3 months.

For cable the correct number to call is 133933 but on weekends you are more likely to get response if you call 132200. Before calling you could try a modem reboot and if that doesn’t work a factory reset. The factory reset button is located on back of modem near LAN 2 port. Press for at least 10 seconds. Modem will reboot resetting everything to factory defaults.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more