Kyrowch
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 reboots every few days

Hi there,

I am using the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with my NBN (FTTB) connection. The device has been rebooting itself every few days and was wondering whether this is an known issue, or if it could be a setting issue? 

My firmware version is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA and I have tried disabling the Protected Management Frames. 

Thank you for your help! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 reboots every few days

Does it reboot overnight or just any time of the day, at random times?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Kyrowch

It happens at random times, seems to occur more in the evening but has rebooted itself in the morning / afternoon as well so there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. 

SteveW_52

OK..  have you seen what happens on the modem at that time (I can never catch those intermittent issues) like what the indicators show or any noises?

Have you checked all cables and connectors (might need to unplug and replug to ensure good connection)?

Have you power cycled the modem (not a factory reset)?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Kyrowch

Usually when it cuts out, there are no lights on the back and the front light change colours as it reboots (no noises that I can hear).

On occasions, the internet will cut out but all the lights will still be green (except for mobile signal and mobile mode but mobile mode seems to be off all the time). When this happens, the modem doesn't reboot and I have to power it off / restart it manually. After restart, all lights will be back up (incl. mobile signal) and internet works fine again.

I'm not sure if this is a separate issue though, as this happens less often. More often than not, all lights go off and the modem reboots itself. 

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The reboots could be caused by a device on your network. Try disconnecting half the devices and check if reboots still occur. If reboots still occur disconnect half the connected devices and keep doing this till the reboots stop occurring. The last device or devices to be disconnected will be the cause. If there are no reboots try with other devices connected.

In the past with a earlier firmware version certain apple IOS devices used to cause modem to reboot.

SteveW_52

Mobile mode will be off unless your modem is in 4G Backup mode (blue indicator on the front)..  

After you try the suggestion from @cf4  you could try forcing the modem into 4G Backup by disconnecting the NBN internet service (Grey DSL port or Red WAN port) and waiting for a few minutes. 4G Backup might be considerably slower than you are used to, but if you can run it like that for a while it may help diagnose an intermittent NBN fault..

Stevo 52
Kyrowch

Thanks all for your help - I will try what @cf4 suggested.

Sadly, I'm not able to work on the 4G backup as the 4G speed is terrible where I'm at (often less than 1mb) Smiley Sad

SteveW_52

Yeah, I know - 4G Backup can be really slow.. but they have updated my local tower recently so it's pretty good here at the moment. I only suggested going to 4G mode it to see if the modem resets happen in that mode as well. You could try it overnight perhaps?

Also, you mentioned previously that when the modem restarts after the issue occurs, the Mobile Mode indicator is on? In that state, what colour is the front indicator on the modem?

Stevo 52
Kyrowch

No, the mobile mode is never on (and I understand it should be off unless I am using the 4G backup?)

On occasions, the mobile signal light goes off, while everything else is green - when this happens the internet does not work and I have to manually power off / restart the modem. Then everything works fine again.

This only happens every so often though as most of the time, all the lights go off and then the modem reboots itself automatically. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more