CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Telstra Tough Max 3 - WPA2 Incompatibilty?

Answered

I have a Arcadyan LH1000 Smart Modem Gen 2 Boot version: 1.0.38-116.118 F/W: 0.09.11r This modem has actually performed very well for me in the 15 months it has been providing NBN internet service via HFC and I am pretty happy with it. However I am now experiencing a problem with Wi-Fi connection from a new Telstra Tough Max 3 handset that I have just upgraded a mobile service to. The Telstra Tough Max 3 (or ZTE T86) will not connect to 2.4GHz or 5Ghz Wi-Fi services from the modem. It saves the UN and P/W but won't actually connect and get an IP address. I have many other devices that connect over Wi-Fi quite OK, and the T86 ill connect to other Wi-Fi services OK. So it seems the T86 and the SM2 (LH1000) wi-fi are not compatible? Through trial and error, I have discovered that if I downgrade the wi-fi security to WPA or None (instead of WPA/WPA2 PSK), the T86 will connect and then will maintain that connection when the modem is returned to WPA/WPA2 PSK Security level. I tried finding some help from Telstra but it was all too hard (the issue fell outside of the simple things that chatbot Codi could interpret) and I found the ZTE Support page on Facebook. ZTE advise this is a known issue with the SM2 (both Arcadyan and Technicolor varieties) apparently but there is currently no fix for the problem yet. Is Telstra aware of this matter and is there a fix being implemented - the SM2's use Broadcom chips I believe and there is comment on-line that this is a known problem with the chipset. is there an updated firmware for the SM2 Arcadyan device (above the present 0.09.11r) that hasn't been pushed out to my modem yet? Would any firmware update address the WPA2 problem? Can anyone confirm whether the problem is with the modem or perhaps with the T86, I don't know what else I can do to troubleshoot this matter. thanks in advance for any assistance..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Telstra Tough Max 3 - WPA2 Incompatibilty?

My LH1000 updated to ver 0.10.05r a couple of days ago and the Wi-Fi issue with the Telstra Tough Max 3 has mysteriously gone away, and it connects fine now...  don't know if anyone else had the same or similar problem and can confirm the same?

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

My LH1000 updated to ver 0.10.05r a couple of days ago and the Wi-Fi issue with the Telstra Tough Max 3 has mysteriously gone away, and it connects fine now...  don't know if anyone else had the same or similar problem and can confirm the same?

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Try the following. As you said they are aware of the problem. ZTE gave me the following fix and it worked.

1. Open an internet browser. (Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome etc)

2. Enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. This should open the home Smart gateway homepage.

3. Log in to the home gateway using the administrator login and password. Probably Username: admin and Password Telstra (See label on bottom of Telstra Smart Modem)

4. Disregard the Change Password form. Select Settings icon at top then > Wi-Fi (or Wi-Fi > Settings) and look for Security field in the form.

5. Click on this, it will probably show WPA2 PSK (or similar). Click the DropDown and change this to WPA (or WPA+WPA2 PSK). Click Save at bottom of form.

6. Once you have changed the security to WPA (or WPA+WPA2 PSK) then the T86 will be able to connect using your normal Wi-Fi connection and password.

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks PNLHere,

I had tried that, after discussion with ZTE as well. But no go until y modem firmware got updated - suddenly one morning the problem had gone and is all good now.

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more