ssag
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 wont' connect to Kasa Spot Pan Tilt Indoor Camera

Hi Everyone

I bought a TP-Link, Kasa Smart Spot Pan Tilt Indoor Security Camera, it won't be able to pair with the Telstra smart modem Gen2. No matter of the camera placed is close enough to modem, the camera can not find/detect the wi-fi/modem. 

Please advise

Thanks 

SSAG 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 wont' connect to Kasa Spot Pan Tilt Indoor Camera

There could be two reasons this might be happening.

1. The camera only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi. The modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi might be faulty and no longer transmitting. If all your other devices are dual band you want notice the loss of the 2.4 GHz WiFi band as both WiFi bands use the same name. To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi band is faulty log into modem (https://192.168.0.1, if asked for password it is Telstra), go to Advanced > WiFi, disable band steering and save settings. This will add -5G to the name of modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If 2.4 GHz WiFi is working you should see two WiFi names broadcast from the modem on your devices that can connect. If you only see the SSID with -5G added then 2.4 GHz is faulty. If you see both WiFi names you might find the camera can now connect as some devices have problems connecting when both WiFi bands have same name.
  2. The camera might not support Protected Management Frames. To disable PMF log into modem and go to dvanced > WiFi. Scroll down, look for Protected Management Frames or Wi-Fi PMF, set to disable or off and save settings.
ssag
Level 1: Cadet

@cf4 Thanks for your response.

At the point 1, I had disable band steering and save settings. I only can see the SSID with - 5G  added, by this  means 2.4GHz is faulty you mention above. Next step, how do I fix an issue?

The point 2, I can't find the PMF under advance, and WIFI.

Thanks

cf4

If you can only see the SSID with -5G then the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. This is a common problem Technicolor version of the Gen 2 Modem (DJA0231). The only fix is a replacement modem. Contact Telstra support and lodge a fault that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

Don't worry about step 2. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty turning off PMF won't fix the problem. Section 36 of the documents linked in these posts shows were PMF is located.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more