CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Okay, I have had the smart modem Gen 2 for over a month now, and am experiencing trouble with trying to connect more than one device via wifi. If I have the Telstra TV connected and try to connect my iPhone or any other device, the internet connection drops out after 5 minutes, but it still stays connected to the Telstra TV. I have reset the modem numerous times hoping that would fix the problem, but so far no luck. I'm hoping to solve the problem here and not spend hours on the phone to someone. That is the last resort if I can't get the answer here.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Which Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 do you have>. There is one made by Technicolor and another made by Arcadyan. There are a lot of people reporting problems connecting Apple devices to these modems.
Highlighted

Technicolor
Highlighted

There seems to be problem with the Gen 2 Technicolor Modem and apple products losing there connection. In another post people have had success by extending the lease time from 1 hour to 500 hours. (http://192.68.0.1 Advanced > Local Network)

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Frequent-NBN-drop-outs/m-p/794013#M80971
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Do you use a Chromecast? If you are, disconnect it and see if the router stays up.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @Confused_User1

Apologies for the delay in our reply and to hear of the frustration.

This is most certainly not the feedback we like to see coming from our customers.

Can I ask if you are still needing help with the mentioned problem on your account?

Please let me know so I can attempt to assist further.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes still having difficulties with wifi so I can have my Telstra tv connected all good but if I try to connect iPad or iPhone it says no internet connection 

Highlighted

I seem to have the same issue. Is there some resolution please or should I be asking for a new modem. My Telstra tv remains connected but nothing else can stay connected - my phone connects for a few minutes when I restart the modem but my smart tv does not connect at all and neither does my google home mini (ironic since I got the google home mini free with my Telstra plan and now I cannot use it). Can someone help me please.
Highlighted

You could try setting up a static  IP address and custom DNS on your device and turning off LAN IPv6 (Advanced > Local Network as per this post

Ip address 192.168.0.xx were xx is a number between 2 and 254 each must have a different address.

Network mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway address 192.168.0.1

DNS 1 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

DNS 2 8.8.4.4

Highlighted

Watch this video about the Google Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcyAWRWsCQ

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 - have set static ip on my tv and iPad which seems to have fixed it - at least both devices have remained connected for more than 30 mins so far! Fingers crossed they stay connected. My google home mini, however, seems to be beyond help.
Highlighted

Thanks adrianw1712 - this may explain the source of my frustrations! Do you know if there is a fix for this issue with google home?
Highlighted

I don't know whether Telstra has updated the firmware.
I had to disconnect my Chromecast because my router was rebooting. I disconnected it and everything worked fine until the router started to reboot again. This time it was a faulty router.
Luckily, like just about every Telstra NBN customer I had a spare router they sent me to fix a faulty modem that wasn't faulty

Highlighted

Just an update on this. I have since had a tech visit after which it became apparent that the fault was with my modem. I've now been sent a new Telstra smart modem gen 2 and I am now back online. All devices connecting perfectly - including my google mini home. Thanks all for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more