Level 6: Bloodhound

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi , we received a new Telstra Smart Modem (for HFC, technicolor) the other day ..thank you Telstra .

It is now working as expected after some thinking and googling.

BUT we have now found that when we call HOME from our personal Telstra mobiles we are being identified as "Unavailable, Unknown Number" , by our Uniden Cordless phone, our numbers are in the phone book.

Where with the old Telstra Gateway Modem our details were visible, and had no problems identifying who was calling.

Have we missed something in setup. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

How long has the Smart Modem 2 been connected? and did it go through any resets/updates that you were aware of?

What lights are showing on the back of the modem - obviously the phone line is registered if you are getting calls. Are your mobiles set up to display Caller ID? Can you call out to them with caller ID showing?

If you disconnect the WAN or DL line and then wait for the Smart Modem to switch to 4G Backup, do incoming calls show caller ID?

You could also try a power cycle - take the power lead out of the modem for a couple of minutes then replace it, after it comes back to full operation, try the calls again..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 24: Supreme Being

Your not the only one with this problem on the Technicolor Modem DJA0231. It is a common problem with this modem. Suggest you lodge a fault as there are no settings in the modem to fix this issue. If you log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Advanced > Telephony > Call Log do you see any remote numbers?

Hi - did you migrate from Telstra HFC to Telstra NBN HFC when you got the new Smart Modem installed or was the Telstra Gateway Modem operating on Telstra NBN HFC before?

For reasons unknown, when I migrated to Telstra NBN HFC, Telstra did not maintain my previous my Calling Line ID facility settings - though I think it was my home phone outgoing CLID rather than CLID for incoming calls. I contacted Telstra and it had to be programmed back in to the network and my modem needed a restart to activate it. Your problem appears to be Incoming CLID from your mobile phone to home calls which points to the Uniden system or the mobile phone. Do other incoming callers to your home display their name and number? Have you restarted your Uniden cordless system?

PS : I am not confident with the Telstra 24/7 Account Home Phone self programming page settings for Caller ID - mine displays Call ID as OFF and I know my number is sent forward to people on outgoing calls from home. 

@Mkrtich 

I have the same problem and it is not the phone as the incoming caller ID is not displayed in the modem's call log.

thanks CF4, the only Remote numbers that can be seen are the outgoing calls , all incoming calls show as unavailable.

Thanks for the clarification. I see - well that explains why my mobile phone number didn't show up on my son's  newly installed cordless phone system handset yesterday - he has a Technicolor DJA0231 as well. We reported the issue via the My Telstra App via messaging. Hopefully new firmware will addresses this fault in the future. Cheers

Hi cf4 , I have been online with my issue with Support people in India and he said he will contact me today again.

I have come across on this forum the same issue titled "Lost Caller ID after NBN modem upgrade" in your reply you quoted that the latest Firmware of the Modem is,18.1.c.0547-p50-RA , the Firmware Version on our modem is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA , can I assume that the 0547 is a later version than ours at 543

If correct how can i have our modem Firmware updated ,can it be done online , will the support person online be able to do this ..

The reference no. is INC1190595..

Not sure how this forum works behind the scenes .are there any Telstra Moderators online in this forum is there any escalation/reporting  process to Telstra regarding issues like this ..

I made a mistake in that post that I havr just noticed. The latrst firmware is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA. If you hsve the latest firmware then it could be a Telstra programming error on your connection.

Hi cf4 , thanks for your reply ,

the firmware is as you say 18.1.c.0543-950-RA.

I did notice whilst checking our account online that the Connection Type for our home phone has changed from earlier in this week it was "Advanced" now is "NGC Voice Service - HFC" not sure if that changes anything regarding Call Line Identification  ill mention it if the rep calls ..

Hi All , just updating .

The help desk did ring back he said he would pass this on ,he also said that the network would update the modem on its next run ...not his words mine, also mentioned about resetting the modem back to Factory settings.

I received an email this morning from Community Mailer if my problem had been solved I should mark it as Accepted solution.....No It wasn't. I have seen on another forum , Whirlpool, the same problem. I know of others that were moved over to NBN and received this modem and they have no problems.

So luck of the draw ...it was a thank you from Telstra. Wait and see  for a network update .

my motto.  the old modem wasn't broken why fix it ..

thank you to all...

If you replace the new modem with the old modem does incoming caller ID work?

Hi - after the Telstra Network settings were been completed on my HFC service, I was told I had to Power Restart the modem in order to accept the classification change and that worked. This morning, I  have just replaced my Telstra Arcadyan modem (0.12.15r) and connected a DJA0231 (18.1.c 0543-950-RA) - Calling Line ID works and Incoming Successful Call info shows up in the Call Log, so it may be that Telstra has not completed the task in their network systems or as you say it is some intermittent issue.

Factory Resetting the modem should reconnect the modem to a fresh SIP (VoIP)  server connection and may also be worth a try. I also show "NGC Voice Service - HFC" in my Telstra Account settings. 

Thanks cf4, we have just connected the old modem back and no it doesn't change still Unavailable .

I just did a check of our Online account details , previously as of the beginning of this week when we paid the Phone bill , the description  of our hone phone plan was "Advanced" since we have changed the modem it has no listed as Connection type as "NGC Voice Service - HFC" does that mean that the "category" of our Home phone line has been changed it still works except for the Caller Identification ,I did mention this to the overseas operator  he didn't seem to think it was an issue , documentation states that all NBN services have Caller ID included .

I am not sure who or where I can have this checked ..please advise on this point ..

Thanks , Mkrtich,

I have just replied to cf4 , i forgot to mention that we did a Factory Reset , nothing changed . At the moment thinking of just waiting and see what happens down the track not sure how long an Update of Telstra Network systems take .I did see on another forum , Whirlpool  i think that Telstra usually does Network updates overnight so as to not disrupt services . Haven't mentioned this before  but documentation with the new modem said we can still use our previous Wi-Fi network details so we kept the old details  save the hassle of changing ... 

I suspected that incoming call would no longer work when you changed back to the old modem. A few days ago I noticed my incoming caller ID no longer worked. I contacted Telstra support via chat and after three hours the consultant said they had done some test and caller ID should work. On testing caller ID did work. I did not do anything on my end. I then changed modem's from the Arcadyan modem to a Technicolor modem. Caller ID stopped working and to my surprise still didn't work when the Arcadyan modem was reconnected. It looks like changing modem's breaks the caller ID.  I have not contacted Telstra yet to have caller ID restored. But it looks like they can fix the problem from there end. You just have to be lucky and contact a consultant who knows what there doing.

If you log into your My Account, at https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home  in a browser..  click on your phone service and you should see Caller Identification where it will show Off/On..  you can also manage Caller ID there - it might be worth toggling it Off/On (exiting your account in each state) and see if that makes it work..  I have had one instance where that seemed to kick start caller ID, but outgoing only..  but you never know if you never try??

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

When Telstra pushes out a modem firmware update, that 'usually' happens in the early hours of the morning, but not every night..  I have had them come through in the middle of the day as well so you can never be certain when it might happen..

Stevo 52

@fpul 

Managed to contact Telstra on 132200. After speaking to robot and to my surprise only had to wait 2 minutes before speaking to consultant. After confirming my ID and phone number and informing them incoming caller ID was faulty they were able to fix problem within 5 minutes.

@cf4  You should buy a lottery ticket mate..  Smiley Happy  I did, after a chat consultant yesterday fixed in 2 minutes, an issue I have being discussing with Telstra, without any resolution, for 3 months..  they are rare in the current Telstra support model, but those gems do exist..  oh yes, the ticket I purchased as a result, also did well  woo hoo!!!

Stevo 52

@cf4  @SteveW_52  thank you , my dilemma started last Thursday  just because we noticed all incoming calls were Unavailable ,Number Unknown.

The modem works as it should although this problem is not just ours ,(surely all of the modems that are being sent out as an upgrade we were notified by Telstra back in 28/10/2020 we get the only one that has issues )and I did spend some time "chatting " for 2 days with a consultant ,to his credit he did not give up easily.

1. Not sure this could be just unlucky faulty Modem, or just have to wait for a network firmware update  ,

2.Not sure at what stage every one gives up and Telstra sends out another Modem.

Open to suggestions ...

@cf4 @SteveW_52  @Ferrari63 

Hi All I am still waiting  for this problem to be fixed, I have been chasing this through My Telstra App I am waiting on a call back from Monday .  I have recently talked to a friend that is an ex Telstra ,NBN employee ,and he had the same issue .I told him that everything worked fine except the Calling Number ID for the calls COMING IN  to our home phone were not displaying the numbers but our outgoing calls to others our number was displayed. He is of the opinion that previously there were 2 categories for our phone lines an out going category and an incoming category ,he is saying that with the change  over the INCOMING CATEGORY is not being registered, ,  by the new Modem .possibly the change from "Advanced " to the NBN  category "NGC Voice Service - HFC" on our Home Phone plan as it no longer a physical line as to now it is a Software driven category.

Just a follow up ..some how this morning it now works, the Caller ID has been restored .Not sure if the people on the other end from My Telstra complaint last Monday or someone on this Forum , or just Telstra did an overall software update , sweep ..it is now working, now no more nuisance / scam calls .Unfortunately from my end as yet I don't know .From what I can see there is no way of knowing not sure ,if there is reporting system back to the complainant, I have checked My Telstra App the issue shows resolved last week , by the Consultant overseas....anyway KUDOS to all @SteveW_52 @cf4 @Deanna  @Ferrari63 . Not sure if this Forum has a reporting system  to Telstar in the background  .👏 Thank You 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more