romullas
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem is no longer 'findable' on network even after reset

Answered

OK so have the Telstra Smart Modem and previous equipment that works can no longer be found on system? One Telstra TV unit & printer (right next to modem) no longer come up on the network and even when trying to Pair/search can not locate the modem WIFI signal?

I have even factory reset the units and have tried everything - it is driving me crazy - im considering just going back to my original 'non telstra' modem its so frustrating.

I even tried to google how to 'add' a mac address (like telstratv) said with no success... this unit is quickly turning into paperweight goods

Any ideas?

OMG just connect already...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem is no longer 'findable' on network even after reset

Are your TTV units the same model? and which model?

Even just try a cable temporarily - do you have a longer HDMI cable? Move the non working TTV closer to the TV and Modem temporarily. An ethernet cable is handy to have for troubleshooting and not very expensive. 

Go into your modem GUI at 192.168.0.1 (default) - password is Telstra (default)

On the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Page look for and disable Band Steering and save the setting. This will give you two seperate network names  - the original one and one with -5G appended to it..  now see what Wi-Fi bands are available to you (you can use a mobile)..  if you can only see the -5G one, then the 2.4 GHz  band on the modem has failed and you will need to report it and see if you can get a new one shipped to you.

But check if the TTV will see the 5 GHz band now, but the printer probably won't be 5 GHz capable.

If you are still having trouble, while you are in the GUI look at both Wi-Fi bands and if Protected Management Frames (PMF) is enabled, disable it and save the settings and try again. If the modem has received an updated jut prior to your problems starting it could be that PMF was enabled by the update.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
SteveW_52

Are the TTV and Printer connected by Wi-Fi? If possible try connecting them with an ethernet cable and see if that fixes the issue?

If it does, then there could be an issue with the wi-fi of your modem/router. Whaich make and model of Telstra Smart Modem do you have (label on the bottom)?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
romullas

I have the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup .. MOdel DJA0231

The printer & TelstraTV were fine and have been working until a few days ago .. the other TelstraTV unit works fine and no issues ... ive reset, factory rebooted all units including modem with no luck.. i can not even seem to locate the WIFI Network signal when searching to even manually add it and the modem is right next to the printer / TelstraTV unit is actually closer than the other one is & it is working 

SteveW_52

Did you try cables as suggested?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

From that, it looks your modem has an issue wit the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band, but you are saying you have another TTV device that is working OK? Is that also connected by Wi-Fi?

Stevo 52
romullas

yes the other TV device is wifi (further away) and can be seen on the modem page

son also advised his playstation is also now disconnected (was wifi also) 

printer i can connect via usb (the hp3830 doesnt have ethernet access on this model)

the other telstratv unit is too far away as the only additional cable i have is 1m Smiley Sad 

romullas

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Are your TTV units the same model? and which model?

Even just try a cable temporarily - do you have a longer HDMI cable? Move the non working TTV closer to the TV and Modem temporarily. An ethernet cable is handy to have for troubleshooting and not very expensive. 

Go into your modem GUI at 192.168.0.1 (default) - password is Telstra (default)

On the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Page look for and disable Band Steering and save the setting. This will give you two seperate network names  - the original one and one with -5G appended to it..  now see what Wi-Fi bands are available to you (you can use a mobile)..  if you can only see the -5G one, then the 2.4 GHz  band on the modem has failed and you will need to report it and see if you can get a new one shipped to you.

But check if the TTV will see the 5 GHz band now, but the printer probably won't be 5 GHz capable.

If you are still having trouble, while you are in the GUI look at both Wi-Fi bands and if Protected Management Frames (PMF) is enabled, disable it and save the settings and try again. If the modem has received an updated jut prior to your problems starting it could be that PMF was enabled by the update.

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

romullas

Thanks for your assistance @SteveW_52 I think you are correct that there is an issue with the 2.4 GHz side of modem (as shown in pics) i can ethernet the telstratv (printer is to old so cant sort that) but everything that is 5GHz is fine... i will contact telstra now to sort... bit of a shame as only had this modem running for maybe 2months... looks like the old one is going to be plugged back in Smiley Happy 

romullas

SteveW_52

he other option for you is to look for a new modem on the online stores - FB Marketplace, Gumtree, eBay etc.  There are two models, the one you have which seems prone to the 2.4 GHz failure, and the Arcadyan LH1000  which has some detractors but mine has worked flawlessy for a couple of years now - touch wood. Easy to change over and you can  move the SIM from your current modem to the new one if you get one from somewhere other than Telstra..  depends how urgent it is to get it all up and running again..

Stevo 52
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There is no need to swap SIMs. The SIM in a secondhand smart modem automatically gets updated to with the correct connection details when the modem is first connected to the NBN link.

SteveW_52

Changed one out this morning and just couldn't get the 4G backup to work - ended up swapping the SIM and away it went..  it did all the updates etc. so I don't know what happened with the 4G..  but it's all working OK now.

Stevo 52
gayeboland
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Steve - followed your advice TelstrA are sending a replacement modem due to they also believe it is a 2.4 failure ... 

I have a replacement modem as I can swap back to the nighthawk that we had 

appreciate all your assistance 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more