Level 2: Rookie

Telstra smart modem - no phone socket

Answered

New Telstra smart modem arrived. No phone socket in new house only Foxtel satellite port. New home. Is there a fix?

Please help 

paul and fam 

Gibbo
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra smart modem - no phone socket

You can't connect the modem to the Foxtel satellite service.

Are you expecting a visit from NBN to install the service? What sort of service are you getting?

In the interim you can set up the  Smart Modem 2 and it will operate on the 4G backup (blue light on the front) service until the NBN is setup...  once you power it up just wait for a few minutes while it decides to go to 4G mode..  once that is active, you should be able to connect devices to the modem by cable or by Wi-Fi.

Once the NBN service is connected, you can plug that into the modem and it will automatically switch from 4G to the NBN Internet..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

I see, it’s not possible. I’ll try the 4g as you suggest. Do you know why I’d get. Mixed messages as to nbn fitting?

Gibbo

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

You can't connect the modem to the Foxtel satellite service.

Are you expecting a visit from NBN to install the service? What sort of service are you getting?

In the interim you can set up the  Smart Modem 2 and it will operate on the 4G backup (blue light on the front) service until the NBN is setup...  once you power it up just wait for a few minutes while it decides to go to 4G mode..  once that is active, you should be able to connect devices to the modem by cable or by Wi-Fi.

Once the NBN service is connected, you can plug that into the modem and it will automatically switch from 4G to the NBN Internet..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Hi, thank you!!

im

not. I’m told nbn has been in this house by Telstra but we also told we need to get own socket fitted. All we have is Foxtel sockets?

Gibbo
Accepted Solution

I see, it’s not possible. I’ll try the 4g as you suggest. Do you know why I’d get. Mixed messages as to nbn fitting?

Gibbo

Did you order a service from Telstra that then got them to send you a modem?

Telstra told you that an NBN service has been active there before? You can go here:  https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn   to see what services are available at your location.

But you still need to order a service from Telstra, it doesn't happen by magic and Telstra will want to bill you for it. Once an order is in place Telstra will then check and get NBN to provide a connection...  Telstra/NBN have to provide you a point to connect a cable to for the Smart Modem or an NTD, or a DSL point. You can't put a connection point in yourself - that can only be done by an ACM licensed installer or Telstra/NBN (ant the type of connection depends on the type of service). If you haven't ordered a service (and signed up to Telstra for an Internet plan) I am puzzled that you would have been sent a modem??  That isn't how it usually works. Are you in a residential house or a block of flats/apartments?

But as I said, if you have ordered a service, the the Smart Modem will work in 4G mode until the NBN service is present (no connection port required as 4G is Wireless Broadband)

Stevo 52

Where in Telstra did you get that message from??

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more