CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem: Not failing over to 4G

Answered

My Telstra Smart Modem is about 6 months old. I remember the tech testing the 4G failover when it was installed and it worked OK but I've not used it (that I am aware of) since. Now it will not failover to 4G automatically when I remove the cable from the wall socket. The light on the front of the modem eventually goes solid red as does the light on the back. Our ADSL service is very slow (2-3 mbps download which is normal for here) but just too slow now that I am WFH)

Tried calling Telstra technical support over the last 5 days and have waited hours but due to COVID19, support is obviously very busy.

Have power cycled modem and laptop, reset the modem and still nothing. Appreciate any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem: Not failing over to 4G

Have you tried removing the SIM from the modem and then reinserting it? It may not be seated properly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

I should also add that we have OK Telstra 4G coverage here and operate a Telstra mobile phone without issue

Highlighted

If the mobile signal light on the back goes red, then it is connecting, but the signal is weak (it only uses the 700MHz band, so your phone signal strength is not a good indicator).

The LTE backup is also only 6/1Mbps and gets throttled back to 256kbps if you go over the quota (it's only meant for short term outages) and if this happens you need to call 132200 and ask the consultant to submit the webform to get it unshaped.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks Jupiter however I am getting:

Online = RED

WAN/DSL = no lights

Mobile Mode = no lights

Mobile Signal = no lights

Phone = no lights

Light on front of Modem = RED

Any further suggestions?

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If the WAN/DSL light stays off when connected to phone wall socket then there is a fault with the link. The 4G backup is only meant to used temporarily during a fault. If it is used for an extended period it is first throttled to 256kbps and then disabled and can only be enabled by contacting support. If you have been using 4G backup for long period off time the link 4G connection might be disabled.

You could try factory reseting modem in case there is a problem with the modem.

Highlighted

thanks CF4. The WAN/DSL light stays off when I try to force it to failover to 4G (by pulling the cord from the phone socket)

When the cord is seated in the phone socket, the WAN/DSL light is green

Just sounds like the SIM in the modem is not provisioned?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried removing the SIM from the modem and then reinserting it? It may not be seated properly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

thanks Jupiter, legend!

I had reseated the SIM card 48 hours ago but I just realised it did not 'click' in properly. I've just reseated it again and bingo, everything has come back up and it is now failing over to 4G, all the lights on the back are how they should be and now a blue light on the front as well.

I'd say the modem reset and the SIM card reseat did the trick

However, I now see what everyone is saying about the speed - its makes our terrible ADSL connection look 'fibre-like'!

I hope the NBN is only around the corner for us - 10 years of poor ADSL service Smiley Frustrated

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more