Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem with Netgear Router R7000

Answered

Hi All,

I have a telstra smart modem which I want to keep running for the ease of setup and wireless backup internet. This is a standard smart modem and I have adsl not nbn.

I want to use a standalone wifi router (Netgear nighthawk R7000) and connect this to the telstra modem so I can use the Netgear router as the main wifi network in the house for the purpose of the internet filters, parental controls and extended range.

Is it possible to use the telstra smart modem and Netgear R7000 in this configuration? Is it as simplet as plugging an ethernet cable from the Telstra modem to the Netgear WAN and going from there or is there advanced setup required?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem with Netgear Router R7000

Before connecting the R7000's WAN port to a LAN port on the Telstra modem you will have to either change the LAN IP of the R7000 or the smart modem so that they don't use same subset. Example change one to 192.168.10.xx. Set R7000 internet connection type as ISP does not require a login.

In this configuration you will have double NAT. Internet will work but some apps might not work properly. To overcome the effects of double NAT should place R7000 in DMZ of Smart modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem with Netgear Router R7000

Before connecting the R7000's WAN port to a LAN port on the Telstra modem you will have to either change the LAN IP of the R7000 or the smart modem so that they don't use same subset. Example change one to 192.168.10.xx. Set R7000 internet connection type as ISP does not require a login.

In this configuration you will have double NAT. Internet will work but some apps might not work properly. To overcome the effects of double NAT should place R7000 in DMZ of Smart modem.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more