Tim152
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra SmartModem 2.4Ghz maybe not working?

Hi all

BLUF:  I think my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (with voice backup) may not be broadcasting on the 2.4ghz band, but I’m not sure how to verify that, much less fix it.

Background:  I have a Roomba robot vacuum.  One day it stopped connecting to my wifi; first assumed this was an issue on the robot end.  After some weeks of trouble shooting I figure out that it’s likely because the robot, which is 2.4ghz capable only, is somehow unable to connect to my dual band router, despite having worked previously on the same connection.  So I go messing around to force it onto a 2.4Ghz network, but in the process find that I am unable to make my Smart Modem broadcast on 2.4ghz at all.

What I tried:

1.  Initially, activated the modem’s Guest 2.4Ghz network.  Couldn’t detect it on my phone or other devices.

2.  Disabled Band Steering to split the 2.4 and 5G bands onto seperate SSIDs.  The 5G network was visible and functioning but I am unable to detect the 2.4GHz band on any device.

any ideas as to how I can verify my assumption that the 2.4GHz band is simply not active, or better guesses as to what’s wrong?  

thanks, 

Tim

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra SmartModem 2.4Ghz maybe not working?

Just check that the Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz band radio is enabled.. other wise you have done all you need to.

Other than that, if you can't see the 2.4 GHz band is fritzed and you will need to contact Telstra to organise a replacement modem. Best way to do that is to use the My Telstra app, go to Get Help and click on the blue chat window..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tim. 

How did you go with SteveW_52's advice? Did you have the band radio enabled and has this made any difference?

- Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tim. 

Just checking in to see if you need a further hand?

- Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more