Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra smartmodem Gen 2 and DECT phone

Answered

I have a Uniden 1535 DECT 6.0 phone that I am trying to pair with my Telstra Smart modem.

I have the latest firmware 18.1.c.0514-950-RB and I can get the phone to register with the modem by pressing the END and # keys and de-registering with the Uniden base station and then pressing # with the base station turned off #it registers in the modem with the state "Located" in the GUI which is great

Unfortunately then the phone flips back to its "Searching" State and cannot be used for calls... 

Ive tried on two phones with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra smartmodem Gen 2 and DECT phone

Hi - I haven't had to buy a home cordless system for 10 years - my Panasonic unit has an integrated answering machine , three phones and DECT Repeater to extend coverage. I find my Panasonic phones minimalist in terms of key and screen display size and wish they were bigger as well as I have large fingers.  I haven't kept up to date with what is on offer in the market. Apart from Telstra offerings, the main players in the residential external DECT systems seem to be Panasonic, Uniden, Vtech and Gigaset - hard to tell the handset key size on their web sites. You need to see them in store and they seem to have too many features these days! Call blocking is good to have. 

Last year I acquired a Telstra T-Voice 503 for testing, the predecessor of the current Telstra Smart Handset-Cordless [TSH-C] CAT-iq 2.0 phone and also have it working in parallel to the Panasonic cordless system. It's buttons are bigger than the Panasonic and are set above the surface of the phone for easy input - I find it preferable to operate as it has HD Voice but annoying slow as it has to communicate to the modem for all functions - last number redial, call history and Phone Number Library are stored in the modem, so there is a 2-3 second delay in screen refresh time when you wish to call back someone who you have spoken to before. I was keen to see if and when Telstra upgrade their modems to CATiq 2.1 in the future, whether it may also support the integrated answering machine control included in the ETSI Standard for 2.1. 

Wi-Fi SIP cordless telephones made their entry into the Business and Enterprise market along with Softphone Apps for laptops and PC's more than ten years ago, but in those times their main disadvantage, apart from cost - they required a special server, was their usage of the overcrowded 2.4 Ghz band, coverage, challenged roaming capabilities and interference caused to other services. I haven't seen them marketed to the residential market but have not kept up with developments since that time. Generally DECT was the favoured technology in business applications as it Wi-Fi interference due to free using the 1.8 Ghz frequency, provided high capacity, seamless roaming through multiple cells and certified for safety in hospital and hazard environments. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Hi - suggest you remove any cordless phone that appears in your modem's Telephony screen and SAVE. The Uniden Base Station should connect to the modem with a telephone cable linked to the Phone port of the modem. The Uniden phones need to be linked to their Uniden Base Station for operation. Once the Uniden Base Station is connected to the modem, you should enjoy previous cordless phone operation without issues. 

Highlighted

Hi thanks for the tip. I no longer want to use the Uniden base station. Id like to pair the uniden dect 6.0 phones direct to the Telstra modem.

Any suggestions why the phones register during the pairing process and then phones confirm registration but then display "searching"?

Highlighted

I assume you may have de-registered the DECT 6.0 1535 phones from the Uniden Base Station through a menu selection in the phone first before attempted connection to the modem. The display may be indicating the phone is still searching for the Uniden base station or is being prevented from doing a complete or final registration step with the modem.

Surprised that the modem allowed a registration of the Uniden phones as the Telstra modem  supports a different DECT standard. The modem's base station uses Next Generation DECT CAT-iq 2.0 which is specially made for Modems/Gateways, is backwards compatible to and can support a limited call set up and release functionality to previous generation DECT GAP (European) phones. I would not expect US compliant DECT 6.0 phones to register successfully and if they appear in the modem screen as registered, they may not be able to make or receive calls? To confuse matters, due a global marketing agreement, some vendors in Australia show DECT 6.0 branding on their equipment but sell their Euro DECT GAP compliant systems here (see tech specs in user guide)  - these will pair successfully to the modem but have very limited call set up and release functionality.

If your Uniden base station is still functioning and you wish to retain usage of your existing phones, then re-using your external base station is recommended. There are advantages to having an integrated answering machine in the external base system, particularly for screening nuisance calls. 

Telstra has a CAT-iq 2.0 telephone that does not require an external base station e.g. Telstra Smart Handset Cordless - replaced the previous Telstra T-Voice 503 which was also CAT-iq 2.0. They also sell traditional cordless systems with external base stations and answering machines. The market has moved to higher levels of functionality with many vendors offering High Definition Voice and other great features - may be worth having a look at what is available. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/handsets

Highlighted

Hey thanks for the advice. yes I agree odd that it would register successfully and then refuse to do anything else. Even with the phones unregistered and the uniden base station on and off.

Any recommendations on what type of DECT phone to get? Ideally would want something with big buttons for the older generation. 

Are people doing wifi phones these days rather than DECT?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - I haven't had to buy a home cordless system for 10 years - my Panasonic unit has an integrated answering machine , three phones and DECT Repeater to extend coverage. I find my Panasonic phones minimalist in terms of key and screen display size and wish they were bigger as well as I have large fingers.  I haven't kept up to date with what is on offer in the market. Apart from Telstra offerings, the main players in the residential external DECT systems seem to be Panasonic, Uniden, Vtech and Gigaset - hard to tell the handset key size on their web sites. You need to see them in store and they seem to have too many features these days! Call blocking is good to have. 

Last year I acquired a Telstra T-Voice 503 for testing, the predecessor of the current Telstra Smart Handset-Cordless [TSH-C] CAT-iq 2.0 phone and also have it working in parallel to the Panasonic cordless system. It's buttons are bigger than the Panasonic and are set above the surface of the phone for easy input - I find it preferable to operate as it has HD Voice but annoying slow as it has to communicate to the modem for all functions - last number redial, call history and Phone Number Library are stored in the modem, so there is a 2-3 second delay in screen refresh time when you wish to call back someone who you have spoken to before. I was keen to see if and when Telstra upgrade their modems to CATiq 2.1 in the future, whether it may also support the integrated answering machine control included in the ETSI Standard for 2.1. 

Wi-Fi SIP cordless telephones made their entry into the Business and Enterprise market along with Softphone Apps for laptops and PC's more than ten years ago, but in those times their main disadvantage, apart from cost - they required a special server, was their usage of the overcrowded 2.4 Ghz band, coverage, challenged roaming capabilities and interference caused to other services. I haven't seen them marketed to the residential market but have not kept up with developments since that time. Generally DECT was the favoured technology in business applications as it Wi-Fi interference due to free using the 1.8 Ghz frequency, provided high capacity, seamless roaming through multiple cells and certified for safety in hospital and hazard environments. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you.  Ill try and get my hands on a Telstra T-Voice 503. I dont need the fancy features. Just make and receive calls and easy to use!

Highlighted

New T-Voice 503 models with Telstra warranty would be scarce to find as that model has been replaced by the Telstra Smart Handset Cordless - TSH-C which is the current model. Exactly the same feature set as the T-Voice 503 with only a slight change to two keys placement and labelling, so would recommend you acquire the TSH-C instead.

Highlighted

I got the previous version very cheaply. Working nicely Thanks

Highlighted

Glad to see all resolved. Thanks for your feedback. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more