Nath9n
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV Not Working with internet

Hi, I recently bought a telstra tv box (Roku thing) and I set it up last weekend and everything worked fine. I'm running it through telstra wifi. Live tv, Netflix,foxtel all worked fine until 2 days ago, the internet now wont work through telstra tv, so no Netflix and no foxtel. I've turned off and disconnected everthing and put back together, put the wifi name and password back in and it says its connected with excellent conection but still Netflix and foxtel won't connect.
I even bought a $120 wifi range extender as it might of been out of range , but still doesnt work.
The wifi works on our phones though which is weird.
All the lights on the wifi router are on green except wifi signal is on amber if that helps.
Hopefully hear back with a solution soon.
Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra TV Not Working with internet

Hi - a few questions as a means of elimination.

1. What does your Router user guide say regarding Amber LED on Wi-Fi?

2. With Wi-Fi Extender arrangement turned off if a Powerline Wi-Fi Extender or removed if cabled to router, does Wi-Fi LED on Router stay Amber? 

3. When you say you reconnected everything , did you Reboot or Reset to Default the Roku and Router?

4. Does Roku need Re-Authentication of your Telstra Account Information to operate.  

5. Do the Netflix and Foxtel Apps need you to Re-Authenticate your accounts with them?

6. Can you see other Apps like Free to Air Tv on your TV through the Roku? 

Cheers

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Did you mean Mobile signal light is Amber. The mobile signal light indicates the strength of the 4 G backup. An amber mobile signal light would not effect the Telstra TV connection.

Is all video streaming sites or only Netflix and Foxtel. If other sites are effected you could try turning of LAN IPv6 in the modem. To turn of IPv6 in modem open a Web browser and go to Advanced > Local Network and remove tick next to IPv6 state.

What model modem do you have?

Nath9n
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,
1. User guide says amber light means good connection.
2. Yes, with wifi extender unplunged the monile signal still shows amber.
3. Yes just turned everything off again and went back to default and reinstalled everything from scratch.
4. No, authenticity has been established as live tv still works and says it in my account.
5. No both are still active and show they are synced to telstra tv.
6. Live tv works but any apps like 9now thst requires internet, doesn't.
Mkrtich

Nath9n - strange behaviour. Is Live TV through an external TV Antennae Cable or through the Internet enabled Roku. If through Roku, implies you are receiving Downstream OK on your Internet. Its the Uplink instruction from your Remote that doesn't seem to connect you to Netflix,Foxtel and 9Now. Assuming your subscriptions are currently valid for these respective streaming services, do you see the Netflix and Foxtel Welcome Screens with featured Movies or Shows or just their Icons and no progress after that?  Does the Roku model you have include a menu that allows you to check for Software Update and activate an upgrade if a more recent one exists or does it do that automatically? Only other suggestion is to validate your Wi-Fi connections.

In the Roku Settings, do you see all your settings - Roku IP Address, your Router Gateway e.g. 192.168.0.1 and SubNet Mask 255:255:255:0. - it may have previously connected and saved your Wi-Fi Extenders IP Addresses. 

Mkrtich

Nath9n - Another thought, assuming your Internet works OK for other devices, additional test you may wish to consider is disconnecting the HDMI cable from the Roku to the TV, take the Roku near to the Router for connection to the Router with a LAN cable - this should allocate it a IP address. First connect the Roku HDMI cable to a PC Monitor (or temporality use another TV if applicable) and see if you can get connection to the Streaming services - this will eliminate any Wi-Fi issues. Check Roku settings to see if all IP address settings are correct. Then check Router LAN details and you should see Roku MAC address amongst the IP addresses in the connected devices table.
If still not working at your home, if practical, take the Roku to a friend's place and try it on their network. If it doesn't work there, it may lead one to think the issue is with the Roku.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more