Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra velocity modem options

Are there any cheaper options for Telstra Home Velocity users on modem/routers? I have ADSL2+ modem with PPPoE support. Will it work? If I buy from Telstra it is $168. I think that is too expensive. My internet connection already cost me a lot (89 Activation + 129 Casual Fee + 90$ monthly fee), now 168 for the modem. Nearly $500. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra velocity modem options

If the ADSL modem has a WAN port you should be able to use it. You could use any router that supports PPOE.

Highlighted

Thank you for the reply. Mine is DLink DSL 2730B 

It doesn't have WAN port. I used to connect the telephone jack when working on ADSL2. Will it still work?

Again appreciate your time on replying.

http://www.ebah.com.br/content/ABAAAfsZsAF/dsl-2730b-a1-manual-v1-00-leo

DSL.jpg

Highlighted

Sorry the DLink DSL 2730B is not compatible. It does not have a WAN port or LAN port that can be configured as a WAN port. It will only work on ADSL connections

You can use third part router for  $40 but you want be able to use the integrated telephony.

Highlighted

Thanks. I am looking at NetGear N300 or Netgear D3600 N600. I think these will still work. Btw, what is integrated telephony? Does it work only on Telstra modem?

Highlighted

Integrated Telephony is a telephone service working over the Velocity service using VOIP instead of using telephone copper wires. It requires a telstra modem to work.

Either of those modems will work. You don't need to get an ADSL modem router you could just get router such as

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/networking/netgear/netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n300-router/...

ADSL  modems will be obsolete in a few years time so its not wort paying extra for a ADSL modem router instead of a router.

The Telstra modem has better WI-Fi and faster LAN ports than any of these modems /routers and although you might save $100 it might be the better option as it is fully supported.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more