willywilson80
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra wifi 2.4ghz channel not working after turning off band steering and turning off 5ghz

Answered

So im trying to connect my smart light switch which is uses the 2.4ghz channel.

Ive looked at many suggestions to go into the gateway and turning off band steering from the 2.4ghz tab and then it would separate into two different SSID for me to connect to.
But when i turn off band steering, there is no wifi at all to connect to. the 5G one doesnt even pop up either.

Ive tried the basic troublshootings already and even tried turning off the 5ghz channel. But there is no wifi for me to connect to.

Telstra chat has been very use less. Please help Smiley Sad

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jayyyydn
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra wifi 2.4ghz channel not working after turning off band steering and turning off 5ghz

I had the same problem. If you have an Arcadyan version of the modem with the model number LH1000, unfortunately there is a firmware issue that completely wrecks the 2.4ghz SSID.

I went through 2x LH1000 modems that when I received them, were on firmware version 0.9 and upgraded to 0.12 and that’s when the 2.4ghz broke. Plenty of people on here have had this issue, there is no way to fix the 2.4ghz once the firmware breaks it. It seems to cause some internal damage. I ended up getting a Technicolor version of the Telstra Smart Modem 2 and have had no problems whatsoever. 

Try and contact Telstra and ask for a replacement modem but request the Technicolor version. 

View solution in original post

jayyyydn
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra wifi 2.4ghz channel not working after turning off band steering and turning off 5ghz

Not a silly question at all! If you get a new modem it will connect to your NBN service once it boots up. The NBN service is connected to the address and not the actual modem. Your new one will connect automatically to your service. 

Considering I have connected 3X Telstra Smart Modems in the past fortnight, they have all connected to my service with no problems :-) 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
willywilson80

UPDATE: The 5G SSID pops up after i turn off band steering. So it seems like there is no 2.4ghz to connect to then?
When band steering is enabled under the 2.4ghz tab, all the wifi devices like my phone is connected to the 5ghz channel...

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Can you advise which Telstra Smart modem you have - from the GUI or the label on the bottom of the modem..

If it is a Technicolor DJA0231, that device does appear have an issue with the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band failing - only solution is a replacement modem in that case.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
jayyyydn
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem. If you have an Arcadyan version of the modem with the model number LH1000, unfortunately there is a firmware issue that completely wrecks the 2.4ghz SSID.

I went through 2x LH1000 modems that when I received them, were on firmware version 0.9 and upgraded to 0.12 and that’s when the 2.4ghz broke. Plenty of people on here have had this issue, there is no way to fix the 2.4ghz once the firmware breaks it. It seems to cause some internal damage. I ended up getting a Technicolor version of the Telstra Smart Modem 2 and have had no problems whatsoever. 

Try and contact Telstra and ask for a replacement modem but request the Technicolor version. 

SteveW_52

Not sure I agree with you about what you say..

I have both models

- the Arcadyan LH1000 2.4GHz has never 'broken' (whatever that means) but firmware updates have reset some settings and added things like Protected Mode Frames (PMF) which can cause issues with connecting on 2.4GHz..  but those are fixable. There are some issues where on 2.4GHz connected device on a network can cause the WI-Fi to appear faulty - but it is not a modem issue. no 'internal damage' in my experience. I have only ever hat one LH1000 and it just keeps going (albeit with some lackings in the GUI side of things).

- the Technicolor DJA0231 on the other hand, DOES suffer from the 2.4GHz band failure - and that is not associated with firmware updates at all - I am not sure what the root cause is, but one day it will just stop working. That is definitely an 'internal damage'. I am on my third Technicolor which has only been running for a fortnight, so it is early days..

All my tech is run from UPS's so the faults are not due to power issues. Besides it is only the one model of modem that has failed for me. So my experience is the opposite to yours..

As for the replacement goes, the Telstra people usually just pick a device from the Smart Modem 2 bin - asking for a certain model is very hit and miss in my experience. I have two spare LH1000's that were received as Technicolor replacements. And Telstra are not handing out replacement device willy-nilly like they used to not so long ago.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
jayyyydn

Lucky you mate - having an Arcadyan modem that works like they are supposed to. 

I didn’t make it clear, but this issue with the Arcadyan modems doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue, but enough for quite a few people to raise the issue on these Telstra support forums. See - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/td-...

I had two LH1000s work out of the box with an earlier firmware (0.9xx) work fine until updating to version 0.12xx, all within a week. 

I am just stating a possible explanation in relation to issues with the 2.4ghz SSID and the Arcadyan Smart Modems in my experience. 

If you look through that thread I provided, some users believe that the firmware update results in a bug that causes the 2.4ghz component to short out, which is what I’m referring to when I say “broken” and “internal damage”.  Clearly all speculation. Changing the 2.4ghz network channels, power output, turning PFM etc have not fixed it. Telstra support are also unable to provide any help, re-flashing the firmware on their end also provides no remedy. They then result to sending out a replacement. 

Again, in my experience the Technicolor has worked perfectly and both my Arcadyan modems resulted in the same issue and no way to fix it. 

SteveW_52

I know the thread (the link you have posted doesn't work for me) and I haven't commented there about the LH1000 supposed Wi-Fi issue.. yet..  I like to experience a problem before commenting and I haven't seen that one.

The only Arcadyan Wi-Fi issues I have resolved have been due to rogue wi-fi adaptors (read - cheap) in devices, which shut down all 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connections. Eliminating the adaptors fixed the issue in every case (more the 6 instances)..  and that problem can occur with the Technicolor as well, by the way.

When the Wi-Fi on my Technicolor's stopped working, they really were fritzed! with no way to recover it, but 5GHz was fine.

Stevo 52
jayyyydn

Apologies - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/td-...

It is not very promising if both the Technicolor and Arcadyan modems are known to have issues with 2.4ghz...

I guess if my Technicolor plays up, I’ll use a different branded modem. I am only keen on using these Telstra modems due to their 4G backup. My FTTN connection is appalling and drops out are an issue with the area I live in. I was with Aussie Broadband but the drop ours were too annoying and the modem they provided had terrible coverage with both 2.4 and 5ghz SSID. The Telstra modems have had superior 5ghz coverage (& 2.4 when it worked for the Arcadyans), so now that everything is working as it should, I’m happy. 

SteveW_52

I still get an error with that link, but I already have that thread in my feed anyway. Smiley Happy

My experience over 50 odd years in the comm's business, is that all devices have good and bad points, that firmware upgrades aren't always as named or work as intended (and improvements are not always as promised) and this is compounded by the fact that increasingly, equipment/firmware is not tested with real world scenarios before being released to market (that goes for other products as well)..  

Yes, 4G backup is very handy and I use it quite a lot, sometimes by choice if a heavy workload coincides with planned Telstra/NBN maintenance  and I have a fall back option again with Optus Mobile Broadband..  Smiley Wink

NBN is certainly no guarantee for stable internet connectivity but I think HFC is better than some of the other non fibre options. Apparently the 'inventor of the internet' (MT) knew more than any of us involved in the industry.

Stevo 52
jayyyydn

Ugh idk why this link isn’t working - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/td-...

As soon as I post a reply, the link gets sorted and refuses to work. I just wanted to post it in case others find it useful. 

But thank you Steve for your input and advice Smiley Happy

I am now worried I may face similar issues with my Technicolor modem in the near future. 

jayyyydn

Yep. As soon as I post the full link it gets cut. Lord knows why.

If anyone wants it find it, search ‘Arcadyan Firmware Update Notes’. It’s a crowd support forum like this one. 

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The actual link doesn't get touch but 4 extra characters get added to the end of link. What gets displayed in the post is not the actual link. Below is the actual link in the post with the http:// removed)

"crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/td-p/889259%C2%A0"

willywilson80

Hi Steve thank you for reaching out!

My Telstra smart modem is a LH1000

Hope that helps

willywilson80

Hi jay! I was expecting that i'd have to replace the modem. I was wondering one thing. Might sound silly because i dont really know what im talking about hahha but,
What happen was that i wanted an upgrade on my nbn plan and long story short , Telstra ended up sending this new smart gen modem to me (MOD LH1000) and so i decided to follow instructions and use it.
But do you think if i re-plug my previous one, would it still work? Or has Telstra ported the internet with the new modem?
Thank you!

jayyyydn
Accepted Solution

Not a silly question at all! If you get a new modem it will connect to your NBN service once it boots up. The NBN service is connected to the address and not the actual modem. Your new one will connect automatically to your service. 

Considering I have connected 3X Telstra Smart Modems in the past fortnight, they have all connected to my service with no problems :-) 

willywilson80

Ah that makes alot of sense! Im going to give it ago tomorrow and see how we go then! Thank you!

willywilson80

Well i changed back to my old modem today and lord behold my light switch connected to my phone straight away!

Looks like it was an issue with the new smart modem after all!

Thank you so much for your help Smiley Happy

jayyyydn

All good. Glad you got the issue fixed. 

Did you end up contacting Telstra? They should send you a replacement or help you with the current modem of it’s not working properly. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more