Ssor60
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra WiFi booster as an access point

Answered

Hi,

I pair my Telstra Wifi booster as per the instructions, but as soon as I unplug it from the modem it turn red. If I restart it in the same room as the Gen 2 modem .. it starts normally then turn red. So it does not seem to be able to connect via wifi.

I then moved it to the other end of the house where I have an ethernet port .. I connect it here via the wired pot and it starts normally / turns solid blue. When I look at it via the dashboard I can see that is connected back to the modem via the wired connection and then devices are connecting to it wirelessly .. so it's acting as an access point.

Not sure why it won't connect as a wifi extender but I'm ok for it to act as an access point just don't see that documented anywhere.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra WiFi booster as an access point

While Telstra market theses as Wi-Fi 'Boosters', they are really AP's..

The symptoms would indicate that your modem might have a Wi-Fi issue.

Are any other devices having trouble connecting by Wi-Fi?

Which version of the Smart Modem do you have and are you comfortable getting into the modem GUI and changing settings? The first thing would be to turn OFF band steering so you can see the 2 (two) wi-fi bands as seperate services..  (you can also use a Wi-Fi analyser app on a mobile device to see if there are are two bands with the same name being broadcast - one in the 2.4GHz range, the other in the 5GHz range).. 

Note: once you turn off band steering you will need to reconnect all devices using Wi-Fi - when you go through the connect process you will see two bands with a similar name, the 5G one has "-5G" appended to it. If you can only see one, then the modem Wi-Fi is faulty and could be the cause of your booster problem...   the boosters only extend your existing Wi-Fi networks..  (I haven't actually had a look to confirm what happens at a booster, if one of the modem wi-fi bands has failed - I will add that to my 'to do' list..)

For my own Boosters, I use the ethernet connection over some TP-Link Powerline extenders and they are fine, throughput is very high..  but they will work OK over Wi-Fi as well (and I have a 'casual booster' that only ever uses Wi-Fi).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Ssor60
Accepted Solution

thanks for your response ..

1/ I used my iPhone 11 ... turned off mobile data so it only had wifi.

2/ Took the iPhone up to the room that the wifi booster is in, which is connected via an ethernet cable back to the Gen2 model - showing solid blue.

3/ Ran a speed test ... pulling 87/37 Mbps

4/ Looked at the Gen 2 dashboard (see pic below - note MAC/IP addresses removed) which shows the iPhone connected to the wifi booster and by the data rate .. must be @ 5GHz 

To me this indicates that the booster is acting as a WAP .. which I'm fine with, just don't find that documented anywhere .. also just noted in your reply that they are really Access Point and I'm cool with that works better for my requirements as a AP anyway 🙂

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

While Telstra market theses as Wi-Fi 'Boosters', they are really AP's..

The symptoms would indicate that your modem might have a Wi-Fi issue.

Are any other devices having trouble connecting by Wi-Fi?

Which version of the Smart Modem do you have and are you comfortable getting into the modem GUI and changing settings? The first thing would be to turn OFF band steering so you can see the 2 (two) wi-fi bands as seperate services..  (you can also use a Wi-Fi analyser app on a mobile device to see if there are are two bands with the same name being broadcast - one in the 2.4GHz range, the other in the 5GHz range).. 

Note: once you turn off band steering you will need to reconnect all devices using Wi-Fi - when you go through the connect process you will see two bands with a similar name, the 5G one has "-5G" appended to it. If you can only see one, then the modem Wi-Fi is faulty and could be the cause of your booster problem...   the boosters only extend your existing Wi-Fi networks..  (I haven't actually had a look to confirm what happens at a booster, if one of the modem wi-fi bands has failed - I will add that to my 'to do' list..)

For my own Boosters, I use the ethernet connection over some TP-Link Powerline extenders and they are fine, throughput is very high..  but they will work OK over Wi-Fi as well (and I have a 'casual booster' that only ever uses Wi-Fi).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

What is the modem's firmware version?  Technicolor modems with early firmware could only connect using an ethernet connection. The firmware is displayed on the LHS of modem's log in page.

Ssor60
Accepted Solution

thanks for your response ..

1/ I used my iPhone 11 ... turned off mobile data so it only had wifi.

2/ Took the iPhone up to the room that the wifi booster is in, which is connected via an ethernet cable back to the Gen2 model - showing solid blue.

3/ Ran a speed test ... pulling 87/37 Mbps

4/ Looked at the Gen 2 dashboard (see pic below - note MAC/IP addresses removed) which shows the iPhone connected to the wifi booster and by the data rate .. must be @ 5GHz 

To me this indicates that the booster is acting as a WAP .. which I'm fine with, just don't find that documented anywhere .. also just noted in your reply that they are really Access Point and I'm cool with that works better for my requirements as a AP anyway 🙂

Ssor60

18.1.c.0585-MR7.1-RA

cf4

That is the latest firmware so there must be another reason booster is not connecting by WiFi to the modem. Sometimes this can be fixed by resetting booster. If you already have a LAN cable we’re the booster is located it is better to use the LAN cable. If WiFi is used to connect booster to modem the maximum 5GHz WiFi link speed is halved because the same 5GHz channel is used to connect booster to modem and to connect devices to the modem.

Ssor60

Thanks ..I did try to reset the booster and follow the reset. Not sure the factory reset worked, anyway I've decided to use it as an access point as that works better for me anyway.

Thanks again for you help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more