Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra wifi booster gen 2 no ssid

Answered

I Have a Telstra wifi booster gen 2 connected to my Arcadyan Smart modem gen 2 and the wifi booster works great but the biggest issue I have with it is that the wifi booster has its own wifi ssid but it uses the modems ssid and people who are connected to the modem keep randomly connecting to the wifi booster and I’ve tried going into its control panel to kick off the devices that are connected to the wifi booster but it loads me into the modem admin page is there anyone who knows how to enable the Telstra wifi booster gen 2 SSID?

Erfan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra wifi booster gen 2 no ssid

No. It is controlled as if it is part of the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is no way to access the boosters control panel. It is designed to have the same SSID as the modem so that devices will automatically connect to modem or booster depending on which signal is stronger.

Is the random connecting to the booster causing a problem?

Highlighted

It’s not randoms it’s household members but I want their devices to stay connected to the modem instead because it clogs the booster when too many devices connect to it and I want the members to only be connected to the modem 

Erfan
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

That's not how the booster is designed to work.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Oh ok thanks but is there still anyway I can access it’s control panel?

Erfan
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

No. It is controlled as if it is part of the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Quick question tho, how come it has a Wifi Ssid and wifi password for itself on the bottom of the booster?

Erfan
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - previous versions of Telstra modems that did not support the integrated Wi-Fi Alliance EasyMesh Controller had options of originally installing the Booster Gen 2 with a LAN cable as a secondary Access Point either with its own SSID/Password or customers could change their primary modem's SSID/Password to match the Booster Gen 2 credentials. 

It was also also possible to leave the configuration as two devices interconnected with an ethernet cable as an option to a wireless backhaul link back to primary modem. I am not sure if this is still a current configuration option. Someone may re-confirm if that is still possible with current offering and if so, it would be worth a try.

You would not have any issues related to devices overcrowding on the backhaul using ethernet cable; set as many devices to 5Ghz SSID as feasible. 

Highlighted

So should I just turn off bandwidth steering? And connect them to the 5ghz?

Erfan
Highlighted

I would be inclined to broadcast both bands as they do not interfere with each other and it allows a variety of devices to be communicating or roaming within your home. According to the Wi-Fi Alliance certification for the  Modem and the Booster, the Backaul connections are discrete 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz and Shared with devices, there is no Dedicated 5 Ghz backhaul channel sometimes found on other proprietary mesh networks (non Wi-Fi Alliance certified alternatives). The Backhaul is used for Data traffic and monitoring plus management by the modem and for two Booster networks it has to constantly measuring and adjusting coonections without dropping the link if no overcrowding as they roam throughout the network. This type of architecture is normally found in Enterprise networks, so very impressive feature in home modem.

Highlighted

But my main issue is for example since I got this wifi booster my phone has trouble connecting to my Apple TV because My phone can randomly connect to the booster while the Apple TV is connected to the modem 

Erfan
Highlighted

Even if phone is conne ted to booster and apple TV is connected to the modem they are both on the local network so theoretically phone should still be able to conne t to apple TV. The problem could be due to tha backhaul WiFi channel used by the booster. The modem uses a hidden 5 GHz WiFi channel, the same WiFi channel used by 5GHz band on the modem and booster, for backhaul to booster. Have you tried disabling band steering and only connecting phone to 2.4 GHz WiFi?

Highlighted

Yes I have it’s currently off

Erfan
Highlighted

If you Modem and Booster Wi-Fi SSIDs are broadcasting different names, it may be that they are not EasyMesh paired and the Booster is linked as an Access Point with its own identify; maybe this is cause of your situation. 

Your Arcadyan firmware - is it latest 0.10.05r and is the Booster at 2.02.60.08 or later?

In November 2019, there was a change to the Booster Gen 2 Quick Start Guide (dated 18 Nov) for initially pairing the two devices with an Ethernet cable - wait for 3 mins + another 2 mins for auto recognition, I couldn't see any mention of WPS shown in the guide, then separate the two after installation completes. 

Can you first check firmware status for both devices and then factory reset the Booster and re-pair the two using new QSG procedures. On completion, you should have one network SSID if it is EasyMesh. If firmware in Booster is not current, it may explain why you are getting two different SSIDs for Modem and Booster, suggest you leave it connected to the modem by Ethernet for auto update and maybe restart it every 2-3 hours to see if it updates firmware.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/aem-cloud-content-migration-assets/internet/Ban... 

Highlighted

Small update note: My Arcadyan Log Entry from 20th March 2020, shows it getting an agent software setting Model:WE41044B-TA SW Version 2.02.62_24, so I assume that is the current firmware status of the EasyMesh function used by the Booster and the Modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more