MICKDUNNDEE
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstras nbn modem

This is not for me but a friend of mine situation.

He owns his own home and has adsl now with Telstra.

He is getting HFC then FTTN and now FTTC he saw a few days ago on line.

As he works from home his set up is this.

He has recently brought a new modem and a seprate router

He has modem in office and router in another room.

We started talking this week end and he told me that he was getting FTTC like me.

i said to him I might be wrong but you brought a modem for nothing as when you switch over Telstra gives you there one

as it provides power back to node.

I am not 100% tho.

Thats why I am checking my self 

He spent around $400 to $550 for it I think he said

He does not want telstras one he want to use the he recently brought.

He brought it as its vdsl and he got it when he new he was getting FTTN February he told me.

I am asking for him can he use his own modem and not Telstras one.

I am pretty sure you can use your own modem as many people have brought new modems in the past recently or in the future.

Power should be supplied to the node by Telstra from street power lines like it is now.

people are not going to remove new modems and install Telstras one. My Opinion 

Whats stopping some one from having to wires from outside there home to the first connection inside there home.

so you have box on the outside of your house from there in to your home have two phone lines.

First one goes to telstras modem and sends power back to node only

Second line gets connected to a modem not telstras one and receives internet.

Only having Telstras modem to supply power to node.

And call have VOIP

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstras nbn modem

He can use his own router with the NBN NTD as explained here https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc.html

If he wants to use his Telstra Voice service he will need to have the Telstra modem connected to his BYO router or to the NBN NTD
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
MICKDUNNDEE

So what your saying is he brought a new expensive modem for nothing.
Thats not going to be good news.
There has to be a way of using your own modem
343GuiltySpark

He can use his own modem/router to get internet access, just plug it into the NBN NTD then connect it to the WAN port on his router. At least that's my understanding, as FTTC is relatively new I havent dealt with it personally yet
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

They cans still use there modem as a router connected to the NBN VDSL modem. Most if not all current model expensive modems can also be used as a router as they usually have a WAN port or EWAN port (LAN port that can be converted into a WAN port).

When you buy an expensive modem compared to a inexpensive most of the difference in price is due to its better WiFi performance and router features. The VDSL modem on the device is only a small portion of the price

MICKDUNNDEE

He wants to use his own modem and router together in one unit and not NBN VDSL modem as he has no room for it and he has already got one and an expensive one too.
He said I should not have to pay money to power Telstra FTTC node.They should use the power that is there now and in use.
He said there will be a lot of people who have there own modem and don't want NBN VDSL modem.
I have a D'Link Taipan modem/router in one and that is what I am using when I get FTTC.

343GuiltySpark

NBN designs the network and its there requirement for FTTC that you connect your router to there VDSL modem that also sends power back to there (NBN's) device in the pit, not Telstra. The power requirement of the device is split between up to 4 connected houses. I have NBN FTTP personally have no issue paying for the power my NBN NTD uses.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more