troppo849
Level 2: Rookie

TG 587n V3 Home Broadband to Mobile Failover settings

Answered

I have recentlymoved location and I am unable to connect to ADSL because of my location.

I have a TG587 Modem from my previous location and have purchased a Sierra USB 4G device but due to my location Telstra has fitted an external Yagi antenna on my roof.

I plugged the USB 4G into my TG587 Modem as I need to access wi-fi throughout my offices.

I contacted Telstra tech support and was lucky enough to get a tech who knew how to do the settings and it worked perfectly for a week.

Then I lost the connection through the modem late last week for some unknown reason.

I have tried everything I could to reconnect but no luck.

I have spoken to Telstra tech support several times but they tell me they are not trained to help me and it was just lucky that someone there knew how to do the settings previously and they have told me that I can only get support if I pay $100.

I have tried to connect using 10.0.0.138 but it tells me that it cannot connect.

Can anyone help as this is causing me lots of grief.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: TG 587n V3 Home Broadband to Mobile Failover settings

Hi Troppo849,

As per the instructions I linked you to, when configuring the backup/fail over service, you need to make sure that there is ADSL service connected to it, so you are a step ahead of them here.

There are steps on how to configure your modem, which is a little different for the BigPond & Telstra devices, but that info should be listed there too.

The only reason that I can think of that would lose the settings was if the modem was restored to factory settings, or possibly a power spike disrupted the modem, causing it to factory reset. Rare, but it can happen.

To make this easier below you will find the steps on how to configure the device on your Technicolor modem.

Note: Compatible devices currently are the Telstra Ultimate (AirCard 312U), the Telstra USB 4G (AirCard 320U) and the BigPond USB 4G (AirCard 320U)

1. Access the modem interface by clicking on http://10.0.0.138

2. For those with ADSL services, please disconnect by going to Broadband Connection  in the left hand menu and clicking Disconnect next to  PPPoEDSL

3. click on Mobile Broadband followed by Configure in the top right corner of the page

4. enter the configuration details below matching your device.

Telstra Next G/Telstra Pre-Paid MBB Devices

APN: telstra.internet
  Operator Mode: Leave on Automatic
  PIN: Enter your SIM PIN (if not disabled by default), Otherwise leave the PIN field blank.
  Click 'Apply'
  Click 'Connect'

BigPond MBB Devices

APN: telstra.bigpond
  Username: customers_username@bigpond.com
  Password: customers Password
  Operator Mode: Leave as Automatic
  PIN: Leave blank.
  Click 'Apply'
  Click 'Connect'

You should then be able to connect via the NextG device when ADSL is connected.

Once configured you can disconnect the NextG service and reconnect your ADSL.

When the modem fails to connect, you will receive the following notification via the web browser.

"If you have a Telstra mobile broadband device connected to your gateway, you may wish to connect it from the Mobile Broadband page. Click here to access Mobile Broadband configuration page"

Let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

troppo849
Accepted Solution

Re: TG 587n V3 modem settings

Hi Shelly

Thanks for the information.

Everything looks to be working again.

Thanks for the help

troppo849

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Troppo849,

Take a look at this thread, it should provide the information that you need.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet/Using-a-320u-modem-as-a-failover-device/m-p/1...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

troppo849

Hi Shelly

This thread doesn't work for me as I don't have a landline at present so I have to connect by wireless only.

the USB 4G 320u works OK on my PC but I need to connect ti through the TG587 modem so that I can connect other PC's and a printer via the TG587.

It will work as a telstra tech showed  me how to do it a week ago but for some reason it stopped working and I don't know what settings he used as we used "logmein"to set it up.

Can anybody help as it us driving me crazy!!!!!

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: TG 587n V3 Home Broadband to Mobile Failover settings

Hi Troppo849,

As per the instructions I linked you to, when configuring the backup/fail over service, you need to make sure that there is ADSL service connected to it, so you are a step ahead of them here.

There are steps on how to configure your modem, which is a little different for the BigPond & Telstra devices, but that info should be listed there too.

The only reason that I can think of that would lose the settings was if the modem was restored to factory settings, or possibly a power spike disrupted the modem, causing it to factory reset. Rare, but it can happen.

To make this easier below you will find the steps on how to configure the device on your Technicolor modem.

Note: Compatible devices currently are the Telstra Ultimate (AirCard 312U), the Telstra USB 4G (AirCard 320U) and the BigPond USB 4G (AirCard 320U)

1. Access the modem interface by clicking on http://10.0.0.138

2. For those with ADSL services, please disconnect by going to Broadband Connection  in the left hand menu and clicking Disconnect next to  PPPoEDSL

3. click on Mobile Broadband followed by Configure in the top right corner of the page

4. enter the configuration details below matching your device.

Telstra Next G/Telstra Pre-Paid MBB Devices

APN: telstra.internet
  Operator Mode: Leave on Automatic
  PIN: Enter your SIM PIN (if not disabled by default), Otherwise leave the PIN field blank.
  Click 'Apply'
  Click 'Connect'

BigPond MBB Devices

APN: telstra.bigpond
  Username: customers_username@bigpond.com
  Password: customers Password
  Operator Mode: Leave as Automatic
  PIN: Leave blank.
  Click 'Apply'
  Click 'Connect'

You should then be able to connect via the NextG device when ADSL is connected.

Once configured you can disconnect the NextG service and reconnect your ADSL.

When the modem fails to connect, you will receive the following notification via the web browser.

"If you have a Telstra mobile broadband device connected to your gateway, you may wish to connect it from the Mobile Broadband page. Click here to access Mobile Broadband configuration page"

Let me know how you go.

troppo849
Accepted Solution

Hi Shelly

Thanks for the information.

Everything looks to be working again.

Thanks for the help

troppo849